Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Cera1234
Earning My Ears

Alaska in July - weather

We are looking forward to heading to Alaska on the Wonder on July 15. I've looked at weather data online but I'm still unsure of how to pack. We live in Alberta so were used to freezing cold winters (averaging near 0F for most of the winter) and our summers a nice day is around 65F.

Should we be packing our woollies and rain boots? Or long pants and light jackets? DH wears shorts around 50F
Cera1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Welcome to the DIS!

It's so hard to predict -- just look at the temp swings for this past month. Since you're accustomed to chilly weather, I would just plan for your weather, but subtract about 10 degrees.

Murphy's Law -- if you plan for warm weather, it will be cold, and vice versa. The best plan is to just pack layers, then you're prepared for whatever.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cera1234 View Post
We are looking forward to heading to Alaska on the Wonder on July 15. I've looked at weather data online but I'm still unsure of how to pack. We live in Alberta so were used to freezing cold winters (averaging near 0F for most of the winter) and our summers a nice day is around 65F.

Should we be packing our woollies and rain boots? Or long pants and light jackets? DH wears shorts around 50F
We leave in five days (!!) for our cruise, and my understanding is that layering is key. The only day that will be truly cold, as I understand it, is Tracy Arm day, and for the rest you need to be prepared for mild but chilly temps and rain....or pleasant, sunny days (but generally not hot). The weather is super-variable, and micro-climates abound.

Over the next 10 days, it looks like temps in all the ports and Vancouver range from about 60-75 degrees F. Juneau might have one 80-degree day - good for them. Showers are scattered all over the place.

That said, I am way more concerned about preparing to be active despite rain, rather than worrying too much about the cold.

I'm planning on bringing capri pants, but probably not shorts, and a few pairs of jeans, as well as one pair of water-resistant hiking pants. (I don't bust out the shorts unless it's close to 80 here near Philly.) I'm bringing tops that will layer (tees, 3/4 sleeve tees), and two hoodies, a North Face fleece, and a hooded rain jacket to layer over. I'll bring one lightweight pair of gloves and some ear warmers. I am not bringing heavy-duty hiking shoes (I don't own any and didn't see the sense in buying for this trip), but I did invest in some $10 waterproofing spray for my sneakers - bringing two pairs. Hubs and I did splurge on some fancy moisture-wicking socks, and I am taking a Camelbak as my "personal item" carry-on on the plane rather than the tote bag I usually carry. The plan is to keep my fleece or a hoodie and maybe my rain jacket in the Camelbak while walking around the port so I can add layers or take them off as necessary.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Meekins
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cera1234 View Post

Hi

We are a Canadian family and on the July 15 cruise as well! I think what everyone said above covers it - I have spent far too long on the boards researching what to bring and weather and bottom line is that the weather is unpredictable and layering will work best. Like the previous poster - we have layers planned...not very much for super cold weather aside...more focused on rain - although we will bring light fleece for everyone, plus wind & waterproof jackets...and we also bought waterproofing spray and will be doing everyone's sneakers. We also bought everyone 1 set of hand warmers for Tracy Arm day to wear in their light gloves/mittens.
Meekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I am from florida so we have really not much of a chance to even buy winter type of clothes. The polar fleece we buy is paper thin. This is my 3rd Alaskan cruise and both times had different weather. Skagway was pretty cool both times it seems like it is in a valley and was much cooler than Juneau. I have 2 long sleeve shirts I am bringing a polar fleece jacket, and a wind jacket and some sweaty pants, and sweat shirt. We are also on that sailing as well. The rest will be t's and capri's and jeans and flip flops and tennis shoes and sandals.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
AJaquins
Earning My Ears

Welcome we're on the same cruise as you also. I agree layering is the best approach. The weather can change quickly and you can be warm one minute and cold the next. I always had a fleece handy. On Tracy arm day last year I wore a coat over a tank top, long sleeve shirt, and a fleece as well as a hat and gloves. That was the only day I wore the coat.

You should come and check out our cruise meet thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post44861443

Last edited by AJaquins; 06-24-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: oopsie
AJaquins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
algae
Mouseketeer

Plan for it all. We were there last July. We had:

- freezing cold on the glacier
- cool drizzle in Skagway
- light drizzle in Juneau
- clear, sunny, 80F skies in Ketchikan
- overcast and windy through Tracy Arm

Quite a range of weather to plan and pack for. Like others say, layer up and make sure one layer is wind/rain proof. Handwarmers are nice on Tracy Arm day, or just go in and out to stay warm.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
EeyoreIsMyName
Mouseketeer

We went to Alaska in mid July of 2011 on DCL. The weather was cold and windy on Tracy Arm day. We spent 5 hours on deck and about froze! I definitely recommend some layers and a coat for that day if you plan to be on deck. The rest of our trip was beautiful-70s & 80s in each of the three ports with sunshine. We layered on those days-tshirt with hoodie or light jacket we could take off once the day became warmer. We packed rainwear in case we needed it. Hope this helps.
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
ScottFamily2005
Mouseketeer

My advice: watch the weather reports and plan for contingencies.

I just got off the boat today and we had our first rain of the cruise in Vancouver. The last two Alaska cruises have had unseasonably warm weather. El Nino, La Nina...blah blah blah.

It was downright warm in Juneau and it didn't even rain in Ketchikan! Skagway was overcast, but not too chilly. I wore a lot of tees and flip flops, but I am also warm natured and used to this kind if weather.

My daughter swam every day and was comfortable being outside in short sleeves.

Locals in AK kept telling us this was a crazy year, so I would rely heavily on the weather reports right before you leave rather than past years' weather.

Have a great time! It was a spectacular cruise!

Disney Wonder to Alaska June 17-24, 2013 - fell in love with DCL!
Next cruise: Fantasy Eastern June 6, 2015
ScottFamily2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: