Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

A Fistful of Fastpasses: Disneyland with the DIS and ABD! (Final Day post #205-10/4)

Hello, and welcome to our trip report. For those that haven’t already been following along in my PTR, I am skier_pete and I’ve been on these boards for seven years now. I am married to a wonderful Disney addict and we have a wonderful Disney addict 10 year old daughter. We’ve done 7 trips to WDW in the last 6 years and last year took our first trip to DL.

DW and I have been wanting to join in on the DIS-exclusive Backstage Magic tours for quite a few years – since they started doing them – and we finally got the opportunity and the funds to do so this year. It was also a chance for DW and I to do a Disney trip just the two of us for the first time in 13 years. DD was left behind with Grandma, and was not told that Disneyland would be involved. So, it was an “adults only “ trip!

The trip lasted from Saturday, June 8th through Saturday, June 15th, and the ABD portion only ran from the evening of June 9th to the morning of June 14th, so I will also cover the “on-our-own” time.

So, let me start off by saying that this trip report is going to tell a lot of details from this trip, but it will NOT cover any of the special backstage stuff that you might not know from reading something as basic as the trip description. One thing that Pete Werner and the DIS crew stress is that we do not want to provide spoilers for those that might go on this trip in the future. So, details about what we saw behind the scenes at Disneyland, at the Studios, and at Imagineering are going to be glossed over pretty heavily.
However, there will still be lots of stuff about this trip here, so I want to warn anyone that is planning on doing this trip in the next few years – you should STAY AWAY. I personally think it is more fun to be surprised on the trip. There are things that I will talk about here because they are fairly common knowledge that I think would’ve been even more fun had we not known about them in advance. In addition, the things we got to do are NOT the things that you might get to do. So, my recommendation would be to treat this entire TR as a big pile of SPOILERS and simply GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

OK – what are you still doing here – I said GO AWAY!!!!!

Good, they’re finally gone. For the rest of you, please enjoy “A Fistful of Fastpasses”

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK

Last edited by skier_pete; 10-04-2013 at 08:57 AM.
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Table of Contents / Links

Day 1
Arrival / Griffith Observatory / Hard Rock Universal

Day 2
Warner Brothers Tour Part 1 - 6/25
Warner Brothers Tour Part 2 & LA Farmer's Market - 6/25
Day 2 - Welcome Dinner - 7/1
Day 2 - Celebrity Spotting Part 1 - 7/1
Day 2 - Celebrity Spotting Part 2 - 7/1
Bonus Day 2 Pix - 7/2

Day 3
Day 3 - El Capitan Theater tour - 7/9
Day 3 - Henson Studios & Tam O'Shanter - 7/9
Day 3 - The LA Steamers- 7/12
DAy 3 - Back to the El Cap -7/15

Day 4
Day 4 - Imagineering - No Spoilers! - 7/17
Day 4 - Disney Studios Tour- 7/17
Day 4 - Legends Plaza - 7/17
Day 4 - Arrival at Disneyland - 7/24
Day 4 - Fantasmic! - 7/24

Day 5
Day 5 - Entering the park early - 7/26
Day 5 - In front of the castle - 7/26
Day 5 - More empty park pics - 7/26
Day 5 - Walking through an empty park to - 8/2
Day 5 - Club 33 - 8/2
Day 5 - Club 33 continued - 8/2
Day 5 - Backstage, Lunch & Walt's Apartment - 8/7
Day 5 - Disney Dream Suite Part 1 - 8/9
Day 5 - Disney Dream Suite Part 2 - 8/9
Day 5 - Mickey's Soundsational Parade - 8/15
Day 5 - Magical Fireworks and an evening wrap-up - 8/15

Day 6
Day 6 - DCA in the AM - 8/22
Day 6 - Welcome to Radiator Springs! - 8/22
Day 6 - Evening at Carthay Circle - 9/16

Day 7
Day 7 - Early Entry to DCA -9/19
Day 7 - Disneyland and Grand Californain Review - 9/27
Day 7 - Final hours in the parks - 9/27

Day 8
Day 8 - Breakfast Steakhouse 55 and final summary - 10/4

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

Last edited by skier_pete; 10-04-2013 at 08:56 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Left our house around 8:45 AM, we dropped our car off at a friend’s house near the airport. Our flights were uneventful, in both cases we got two aisle seats across from each other. I mostly did puzzles, listened to music and took a short nap. Sat next to an older couple heading to Ontario, CA for the first flights. The 2nd flight I sat near a lady from Pittsburgh going to visit her brother and a job interview.

Arrived in LAX about 3:20 PM, no problems with the luggage. Got to the rental car which had been picked out, but they gave us a hatchback, so I had to change cars to one with a trunk. This took about 20 minutes, so by the time we got to our hotel and parked it was probably close to 5 PM. Surprisingly we were not really hungry so “relaxed” a bit before getting dressed. A quick exciting shot from our hotel room at the LAX Hilton.

I'll give a quick review of the hotel. We stayed at the LAX Marriot last year for about $110 a night. This time we save $10 at the Hilton. The Hilton was NOT very good. I would choose the Marriot next time.

It was about 6:30 PM when we left and decided to go with our primary plan, which was to drive up to Griffith Park Observatory. The freeways were crowded so we asked the concierge for the best route, and he sent us up Cienega Boulevard to Sunset Boulevard. We passed Randy’s Donuts and I snapped a picture. You may remember a certain Marvel Superhero hanging out here a few years back.

The drive was interesting enough, though it made me comment what I almost always think when in Los Angeles. “The image of Los Angeles is so much nicer than the reality of Los Angeles”, which I guess makes perfect sense for a town all about images.

We made our way to Griffith Park and found that there were TONS of people going to the observatory. People were parking a good mile + down the winding road. We pulled over to take a quick snap shot:

It was already like 7:30 PM by this time, and we weren’t about to walk that far so we kept driving. I got lucky and got a spot about ¼ mile down the hill. The observatory itself was really amazing and well worth the trip.

The views were pretty good even though it was pretty hazy out. I used my gorilla-pod tripod to grab a shot of the Hollywood Sign. Remember, this sign was about a 1/2 mile away and it was nearly dark out...so I thought my little Nikon Coolpix did a pretty good job of pulling that one off!

For those that don't remember, Griffith Observatory (named after Griffith J. Griffith, who donated the land) has featured prominently in several Hollywood movies, perhaps most famously in Rebel without a Cause, but also The Terminator, Earth Girls are Easy, The Rocketeer (DISNEY CONNECTION!), and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. For the Mystery Science Theater fan - also featured in War of the Collosal Beast! Some more shots of the observatory:

Some inside shots:

Old 06-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Late dinner at the Hard Rock / Universal

From there we made our way up to the Hard Rock Café in Universal Citywalk. DW has a collection of shooter glasses from Hard Rocks around the world, and we had never made the LA locations. Since we would be staying right next to the Hard Rock in Hollywood, we decided to try this other one.

Disney (Rock and Roller Coaster) connection: Aerosmith tickets from the seventies:

We had an appetizer dinner because it was now 9 PM at night. DW got her shooter glass

and we had the Jumbo platter and an order of nachos.

Unfortunately, for how good it looked, the food was somewhere between luke-warm and cold, surprising considering how fast it came out. However, it was plenty and we were too tired to return the food. By the time dinner was up it was 10 PM and we were exhausted, so we just headed by down to our hotel. Now that the traffic was lessened (still a lot of cars but at speed anyways) we took the Ventura Freeway to the 405 and were back to our hotel in 30 minutes and asleep by 11 PM. A super long day (about 21 hours since we awoke), but a good start to the trip.

Because of the name of my trip report, I thought I would end each day with a summary of The GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY

GOOD: Griffith Park Observatory and a good parking spot
A successful flight is a good flight

BAD: Food at Hard Rock
Our "Express" check-in with Hertz

UGLY: A "clean" drinking glass with Lipstick on it in our hotel room!
The door to the bathroom that would slide shut and pinch your finger if not done exactly right.

Last edited by skier_pete; 06-20-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

I'm here & ready for the Adventure.
I like your good, bad & ugly concept.
I really wish we had been able to make it into the Observatory this time, but I think I told you that we had the same experience you did the next day with the traffic & no lucky close spot to park, so we just kept driving.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
ymxbfalcon
Mouseketeer

Great start, Pete! I'm looking forward to reliving this trip through your report.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #7
disneykiwi
Mouseketeer

i'm in Pete

it's exciting as it all seems a bit of a blur so will be good to get it back in order. thx

Hi from New Zealand.

Disneyland 1985, Disneyland 1992, Disneyworld 1999, Disneyland 2002, Disneyland 2004 Disneyland 2006 DisneyWorld 2010, Disneyland and ABD backstage magic trip June 2013
disneykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great start, Pete!

I'm definitely in for the good, the bad and the ugly!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Great start to a trip report!!!!

Griffith Observatory was on my list of things to take the girls to when we went in 2011- only we never made it because I was flying solo and chickened out driving there by myself with the girls- so it's HIGH on my list to get to next time I'm in LA. Your Hollywood sign shots turned out awesome!

LOVE DW purse!

Can't wait for the next installment!!!

Oh. and ewwwwwwwwwww about the lipstick stain on the glass!
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

OK - you first three were all on the trip ....so NO giving anything away ahead of time! Of course, if I MISS something, feel free of chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygrl36 View Post
I'm here & ready for the Adventure.
I like your good, bad & ugly concept.
I really wish we had been able to make it into the Observatory this time, but I think I told you that we had the same experience you did the next day with the traffic & no lucky close spot to park, so we just kept driving.
Yeah, I never pictured it being SOOOO crowded. There were people walking a LOOOONNNGG way up that hill in the dark, I also forgot to mention the Back to the Future 2 tunnel that they made us drive through on our way out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymxbfalcon View Post
Great start, Pete! I'm looking forward to reliving this trip through your report.
I only hope I can do it justice. Geez, with all these fellow ABDers reading my TR, I'm not going to be able to say anything bad about anyone! But seriously, it was a great group of people and it seemed like we got a bit of a chance to get to know almost everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneykiwi View Post
i'm in Pete

it's exciting as it all seems a bit of a blur so will be good to get it back in order. thx
It was definitely a go-go-go trip. I didn't have too hard a time with it, but we also took advantage of a mid-day break most days, which let us keep going until late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great start, Pete!

I'm definitely in for the good, the bad and the ugly!
This was definitely a warts and all trip. I would say that not everything was all sunshine and lollipops. I am sad to say while the good outweighs the bad and ugly, it won't be that hard to find either of those each day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
Great start to a trip report!!!!

Griffith Observatory was on my list of things to take the girls to when we went in 2011- only we never made it because I was flying solo and chickened out driving there by myself with the girls- so it's HIGH on my list to get to next time I'm in LA. Your Hollywood sign shots turned out awesome!

LOVE DW purse!

Can't wait for the next installment!!!

Oh. and ewwwwwwwwwww about the lipstick stain on the glass!
I would recommend doing the drive early in the day. Just in general, LA was pretty insane traffic/driving wise. Not surprised at all by it, but I just kept thinking "You would either need to leave 90 minutes early to get anywhere or you would simply need to not care when you got there!"

I'll tell DW you liked her purse.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Joining in! Great start so far, and I look forward to everything you CAN share with us about the trip!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
burly
DIS Veteran

I'm joining in too!
burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I would recommend doing the drive early in the day. Just in general, LA was pretty insane traffic/driving wise. Not surprised at all by it, but I just kept thinking "You would either need to leave 90 minutes early to get anywhere or you would simply need to not care when you got there!"

Yup! I live in So Cal and we always plan at least an hour to an hour and a half to get most anywhere!

Looking forward to hearing about this trip. So how does one get on one of these DIS exclusive ABD Backstage Magic trips? I've been considering doing it to see all the backstage stuff, I've followed a couple TRs from folks who did these tours.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
Joining in! Great start so far, and I look forward to everything you CAN share with us about the trip!
YEAH!!! Though I know you were following along on facebook there will be WAY more pix there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
I'm joining in too!
and thanks for joining in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Yup! I live in So Cal and we always plan at least an hour to an hour and a half to get most anywhere!

Looking forward to hearing about this trip. So how does one get on one of these DIS exclusive ABD Backstage Magic trips? I've been considering doing it to see all the backstage stuff, I've followed a couple TRs from folks who did these tours.
Hi there franandaj! I think we are already 2nd-degree of separation DIS friends as I know you are good friends of PrincessInOz, so welcome along!

The DIS exclusive tours are usually posted on the podcast page. It seems they booked them around June each year for the following year. You can check, but I know the 2014 trips are almost full. While you don't necessarily get much extra on the trip, you KNOW you'll be travelling with a group of like-minded individuals - I think that was really the best part of doing the DIS thing.

For everyone else, expect an update tomorrow. I am working on it whenever I can!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
ymxbfalcon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post

The DIS exclusive tours are usually posted on the podcast page. It seems they booked them around June each year for the following year. You can check, but I know the 2014 trips are almost full. While you don't necessarily get much extra on the trip, you KNOW you'll be travelling with a group of like-minded individuals - I think that was really the best part of doing the DIS thing.
I'm pretty sure that the December 2014 trip was completely full and the one for July was almost full (and could be completely sold out by now), but I think there was a third trip in the winter (February, maybe?) that still had spots open. I agree with Pete, though; this is an amazing trip, but the main benefit of doing a DIS exclusive one is the other people you meet. There would be plenty of other dates available through Adventures By Disney if the DIS exclusive dates didn't work for you, and while there are a few "extras" that Dreams Unlimited Travel very generously provided for us, most of our itinerary was the same as an "ordinary" ABD trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: