Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Julylady
DIS Veteran

Another rude castmember thread

A long time WDW visitor here. Yesterday, I had two encounters with cast members who were rude. Well, I had one and I witnessed another. Both instances took me by surprise because it just so unexpected at Disney! Both happened at Magic Kingdom.

Incident #1. Entering park with my 11 year old niece. She is using day 3 of a five day pass. On the previous days she has not had to use the finger scan. This time, the Cast Member told her to put her finger on. When that didn't work, he told her to try her thumb. Still didnt work. She was confused since she had not had to do this before and he glared at her. he was an older guy and was very intimidating to an 11 year old. I was ahead of her and turned back to see a look of panic on her face. He then asked me if it was a new ticket, I said no since this was our third day. He scanned it and told me it was a new ticket since there was no thumb print attached to it. This was said in a very accusatory tone like I was lying to him. I said, this is the third day she has used it, and she has not had to use a finger scan until now. He then let me know that we had been doing it "wrong" and he was right. All this while the line was backing up behind us. I wanted to say "whatever" but didnt. I am sure he saw it in my face though and kept on talking. It was as if he had to convince me that he was "right." He was holding her pass so we couldn't leave. I finally just held out my hand.

Incident # 2. Late afternoon in Magic Kingdom sipping my Starbucks latte on the patio tables by the ice cream store. We were sharing a table with another couple. My niece got up to get a napkin. As soon as she got up, a cast member pulled the chair away. The guy sitting with us stopped her and said "we are still using it." She gave him a really disgusted look. He called her on it and then she told us that she had to clear away the tables for a show that was starting at 5pm. It was now 4:15. She said she had to take the chairs away as soon as someone stood up. My new friend told her to wait as we were still using the chair. She got really angry. I started looking around and caught the eye of another cast member. He came over and got in front of the angry one. He told my niece (who was now standing there with her napkin), to sit down. He told us to take as much time as we needed.

Yes, it was hot. Yes, they might have been having a bad day. No, I didn't go and report them. I wasn't going to waste my time. However, I have never had these types of experiences at Disney before.

Okay, now I feel better.
Julylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

It is always shocking to come across a rude cast member because they are so rare! We had a super cranky and rude cast member at the loading point at ToT in May. I realize the ToT cast members are not supposed to be bubbly (in character) but this lady was flat out rude and not in a funny way. We all just looked at each other in shock because everybody else had been so nice all day.

Sorry you ran into two in one day!
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
bsjs0708
DIS Veteran

We were entering POC and when asked how many at the loading area the CM actually looked at my daughter and said" I hate my job right now" I just looked at him and said WOW then maybe you shouldn't be a cast member...

[
bsjs0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjs0708 View Post
We were entering POC and when asked how many at the loading area the CM actually looked at my daughter and said" I hate my job right now" I just looked at him and said WOW then maybe you shouldn't be a cast member...
I don't get this one at all

Did your daughter say/do something to put the CM off?

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
dadofgoofy
Mouseketeer

It sucks that you had those experiences, but frankly I don't know if I could put up with all the rude, entitled people they do in an average day. I know they shouldn't behave that way to guests, just saying I'm not sure I could do it either. Over the last couple of trips I've seen people screaming at CM's left and right becuase they cannot keep their family's stress in check.
dadofgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadofgoofy View Post
It sucks that you had those experiences, but frankly I don't know if I could put up with all the rude, entitled people they do in an average day. I know they shouldn't behave that way to guests, just saying I'm not sure I could do it either. Over the last couple of trips I've seen people screaming at CM's left and right becuase they cannot keep their family's stress in check.
I have to agree with this BUT CMs are trained to keep their emotions in check, a smile on their face and be as magical as possible THAT being said there are approx 66,000 CMs and running in to 2 or 3 that don't fit the mold I would just chalk it up to a bad day and hope they felt better soon Underneath it all these are fellow human beings
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
hpygrll
Mouseketeer
Nosferatu!
I only pilfer packets of tartar sauce........is that a crime?

We just got back after spending 8 days in the World - We are DVC and have been going pretty much every year since 1995.

This is the FIRST trip where I've noticed rude cast members as well. We also noticed cast members clumped together alot in stores instead of interacting with guests, and street cleaners etc walking together as they do their work and not interacting.

Also noticed dirty bathrooms, not stocked stations at counter service restaurants (no napkins, out of catsup etc).

Did we still have fun? Absolutely! But I hope this trend doesn't continue because we purposely vacation for the service and the experience. And this time it was definitely lacking in areas.

Jenny
hpygrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
I have to agree with this BUT CMs are trained to keep their emotions in check, a smile on their face and be as magical as possible THAT being said there are approx 66,000 CMs and running in to 2 or 3 that don't fit the mold I would just chalk it up to a bad day and hope they felt better soon Underneath it all these are fellow human beings
Agreed.

And I know I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but the OP says that when her niece was having problems with her ticket, that they guy working gave her niece a dirty look. The OP then states she turned around to see what was going on. No way to know if there was a dirty look or not if she was ahead of her niece with her back to her. Just because her niece was panicking, that doesn't mean the CM was being mean to her at that point. And I have to admit I would probably start to panic if my ticket didn't work too!

Not to excuse the way he spoke to both of them, but I think they are supposed to do the finger scan if they are 10 or over. Still if that is indeed correct there is a nice way to explain it.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julylady View Post
A long time WDW visitor here. Yesterday, I had two encounters with cast members who were rude. Well, I had one and I witnessed another. Both instances took me by surprise because it just so unexpected at Disney! Both happened at Magic Kingdom.

Incident #1. Entering park with my 11 year old niece. She is using day 3 of a five day pass. On the previous days she has not had to use the finger scan. This time, the Cast Member told her to put her finger on. When that didn't work, he told her to try her thumb. Still didnt work. She was confused since she had not had to do this before and he glared at her. he was an older guy and was very intimidating to an 11 year old. I was ahead of her and turned back to see a look of panic on her face. He then asked me if it was a new ticket, I said no since this was our third day. He scanned it and told me it was a new ticket since there was no thumb print attached to it. This was said in a very accusatory tone like I was lying to him. I said, this is the third day she has used it, and she has not had to use a finger scan until now. He then let me know that we had been doing it "wrong" and he was right. All this while the line was backing up behind us. I wanted to say "whatever" but didnt. I am sure he saw it in my face though and kept on talking. It was as if he had to convince me that he was "right." He was holding her pass so we couldn't leave. I finally just held out my hand.

Incident # 2. Late afternoon in Magic Kingdom sipping my Starbucks latte on the patio tables by the ice cream store. We were sharing a table with another couple. My niece got up to get a napkin. As soon as she got up, a cast member pulled the chair away. The guy sitting with us stopped her and said "we are still using it." She gave him a really disgusted look. He called her on it and then she told us that she had to clear away the tables for a show that was starting at 5pm. It was now 4:15. She said she had to take the chairs away as soon as someone stood up. My new friend told her to wait as we were still using the chair. She got really angry. I started looking around and caught the eye of another cast member. He came over and got in front of the angry one. He told my niece (who was now standing there with her napkin), to sit down. He told us to take as much time as we needed.

Yes, it was hot. Yes, they might have been having a bad day. No, I didn't go and report them. I wasn't going to waste my time. However, I have never had these types of experiences at Disney before.

Okay, now I feel better.
Incident #1 - they must have had the finger scans turned off if she got past the first 2 days without it. Sometimes they do that during busy times.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
CNYDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry you experienced that. I don't know if they were just having a bad day, but they have no right to take it out on everyone else.
CNYDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
twinmom319
Mouseketeer

We just got back from an 8 day trip as well... It had been3 years between trips and i was worried after reading threads like this. Just for the record, every single CM we experienced had that same old magic... Joking with the kids, smiling, waving... one guy drove past the bus stop one morning waving and blowing bubbles! a few looked really hot but then again so did we! Sorry to hear about your experiences but I think we need to do more to acknowledge the thousands of CM who make our trips so magical.

June 2013 POR - first WDW road trip
January 2010 POR - first trip for the peanut!
April '08 POR
May '07 WL - 1st with twin
May '03 POFQ
twinmom319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpygrll View Post
We just got back after spending 8 days in the World - We are DVC and have been going pretty much every year since 1995.

This is the FIRST trip where I've noticed rude cast members as well. We also noticed cast members clumped together alot in stores instead of interacting with guests, and street cleaners etc walking together as they do their work and not interacting.

Also noticed dirty bathrooms, not stocked stations at counter service restaurants (no napkins, out of catsup etc).

Did we still have fun? Absolutely! But I hope this trend doesn't continue because we purposely vacation for the service and the experience. And this time it was definitely lacking in areas.

Jenny
However, Mr. Iger's golden parachute keeps getting larger.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Julylady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post

Agreed.

And I know I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but the OP says that when her niece was having problems with her ticket, that they guy working gave her niece a dirty look. The OP then states she turned around to see what was going on. No way to know if there was a dirty look or not if she was ahead of her niece with her back to her. Just because her niece was panicking, that doesn't mean the CM was being mean to her at that point. And I have to admit I would probably start to panic if my ticket didn't work too!

Not to excuse the way he spoke to both of them, but I think they are supposed to do the finger scan if they are 10 or over. Still if that is indeed correct there is a nice way to explain it.
OP here. I turned around as soon as I heard she was having an issue. I definitely saw the glare and the panic on her face.

I wholly put the blame on Disney and the fact that they cut down on training. In both cases the cast members were doing their job, but it was more important to be "right" even if it meant giving me as the guest a bad experience. It's just so jarring since for years that never happened at WDW.
Julylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
bsjs0708
DIS Veteran

My daughter didn't say anything..just smiled However...it is VERY hard to work with the public day after day and especially when it is hot and the "public" can sometimes be rude or very assuming...that being said the majority of the cast members will try to deliver a smile and a friendly cheerful voice and even go out of the way to spread some magic

[
bsjs0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Phil Dunphy
Go Carolina Rams!

How is it a big surprise when you know of other rude castmember threads?
Phil Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: