Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
dpswift
DIS Veteran

Should we try Rose and Crown?

After over 20 years of marriage DH and I are finally taking a solo trip to Disney this September. The problem is we only have 2 days to do everything. I had planned on doing counter service only(we are staying at ASMovies and that is what is included) Even though we are there 2 days we have 3 nights so I believe that we have 6 QS meals more than enough food for me.

DH had mentioned paying for a meal at Tonys on Saturday since MK is the park that is open latest that day. However after reading this board I started thinking about Rose and Crown for the Illuminations viewing. I know that it is luck of the draw if you get a table where you can see the show. I also have read tips on another thread on how to take longer to hold your table. This makes me concerned that we will be spending a good amount of time waiting when we could be out in the parks.

If we do not get a viewing table how crowded is the area that they take you to. I am short and we usually do not do the shows because I have a hard time seeing.

So advice please is this worth an extra meal? Or should we go to MK as planned?

P.S. I am a picky eater DH likes almost anything.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Our Ratings of Rose & Crown: (rev 2/17/2013)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: A
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Rose & Crown is typical English cuisine. Nothing special,
but usually above average in quality. Viewing Illiuminations from
the patio is a good view, although seating on the patio is not reserved
and you cannot wait for a table on the patio. The bar/lounge/pub area
is classic Engish with a great selection of beer and spirits. Additionally,
the "Hat Lady" piano player is excellent. Overall good for drinking and
snacking, but only so-so for meals.

NOTE2: We purposely ordered the vegetarian. (Wanted to see how "the
other half" ate.) A wiser option would be booking steerage on the Titanic.
The vegetable mash was bland and basically tasteless. Thank goodness
Scotch whisky is vegan - it saved the meal. Fortunately, we also ordered
Fish & Chips. Not great. Just average when compared to London fish and
chips. But we left full.

NOTE3: People frequently ask for the patio. This is not guaranteed, and
you MUST take the first table available when you are called. You can
no longer "wait" for a patio table. Too many people would walk out if
they didn't get the patio, so now you must agree to take the first
table offered to you.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

If you're asking in terms of food, I like Rose & Crown miles better than Tony's. The food is nothing fancy at R&C, but still tasty. I try to go once per trip to WDW. I like the scotch egg, the fish and chips, the cottage pie, and the sticky toffee pudding.

In terms of the viewing area, this is the view from the front:

If you're in the back, you might have a harder time seeing, but I didn't have that bad of a time (I'm not tall either). This was the view I had from the back of the viewing area:

Personally, I would ask about a patio table ("with a view" because not all patio tables have a view), but not wait for one. Once 7:30 pm/8:00 pm rolls around, most folks out on the patio are not likely to be leaving before IllumiNations.

Last edited by figment_jii; 06-21-2013 at 02:53 PM.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

R&C is better than Tony's. If you like the menu at R&C, then go for it. The evening view is worth it and the food is Disney average (in my opinion).

Enjoy!
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Siriusblack
Mouseketeer

We quite like Rose and Crown, in fact my vegetarian husband insists on going there for our first night meal every year. The menu changes seasonally I believe,
But last time I had the pork duo and it ended up being my favorite of the trip.
The cost is also a bit better than some other sit downs in Epcot.
Siriusblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Stitch's Greatest Fa
DIS Veteran

[i]NOTE: Rose & Crown is typical English cuisine. Nothing special,

Hello, am unsure where you are from but would like to say that I am English and Rose and Crown is most definitely NOT "typical English cuisine" it tries to be, but the food is not good. Personally I really don't think it is worth it and there are plenty of great viewing locations for Illuminations without paying.

1995 1st time - Kissimee Villas 1997 Kissimmee Villas 2002 Kissimmee Villas 2004 - 1st time on site Polynesian Honeymoon 2005 Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Pop Century 2007 POFQ 2008 Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge 2009 Beach Club 2010 AKL/CR/SSR2011 Hilton Parc Soleil2013 Wilderness Lodge 2014 Hilton Parc Soleil
Stitch's Greatest Fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

My husband and I ate there last week. First they gave us a broken beeper so we never got a table until I went up to check on it 20 minutes after our reservation.
I was told I had to re-check in and that ticked me off so I asked for a manager. Not a good start. We were seated immediately after the manager checked the beeper and discovered it was broken.

It was ok. The food was pretty good and I liked the English Rose drink I had.

Service was so darn slow that it drove me insane.
It took forever to get our entrees (about 30 minutes). I had to complain and ask our server if I needed to speak to a manager and then suddenly our food appeared.
At the hour and a half point, I was pretty much rushing our server so we could get our check and get out of there.

My husband liked the food and didn't mind the slow service but I can't stand slow service. It's one of my big pet peeves.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
klangkat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch's Greatest Fa View Post
[i]NOTE: Rose & Crown is typical English cuisine. Nothing special,

Hello, am unsure where you are from but would like to say that I am English and Rose and Crown is most definitely NOT "typical English cuisine" it tries to be, but the food is not good. Personally I really don't think it is worth it and there are plenty of great viewing locations for Illuminations without paying.
Here here!
Firstly, if you could please stop referring to it as 'typical English cuisine' mainly because it is not ENGLISH cuisine - all that 'scotch' you like... is from SCOTLAND, which is a whole other country. We exist. We are not a part of England.

Also, as the above poster says, I don't know where you've eaten in the UK, but as someone that's travelled up and down the place I have yet to eat food that tastes like this in the UK!

OP, I can't comment on it from a fireworks viewing perspective, but from a culinary standpoint, no, I wouldn't go there!

Last edited by klangkat; 06-21-2013 at 05:21 PM.
klangkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

I would guess Scupper means what the average American would think is typical English / Scottish fare. Just watched a cool movie about the Stone of Destiny caper

Most Americans think what we call Chinese food is what they eat in China
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
dpswift
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate hearing the good and the bad. We are not going until September so I think I will wait a bit before making a final decision and see how our plans work out. I need to find a way to maximize time on such a short trip.

I am also concerned that our reservation is late (7:45) that we will have a long wait with little chance for a patio table.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

We like Rose and Crown - especially sitting outside on the patio and having a nice relaxed lunch.

But I would never try and depend on seeing Illuminations from there. I would certain have a meal at the place but having to time the meal and the seats and all that would be not relaxing to me at all.

I'm short as well - 5 feet tall. I always have an unobstructed view of Illuminations because I love the show. And no, I don't wait an hour for it, most times I can get a place just 30 minutes before the show. Not that difficult to do that with only two people. Husband stands behind me.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

We enjoyed, definitely recommend the scotch egg We went in January and sat inside (too chilly) but the server walked us outside to the viewing area 10 mins before illuminations started. We had a great view, no problem. Dh liked the fish but I did not care for it, I will try something else next time. Maybe 3 scotch eggs, they were awesome
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: