DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #31
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
If you already have 320 direct points, don't you already have the versatility of buying direct? Why do all your points have to have this feature? If a monorail resort is important to you AND you need a larger number of points, then it sounds to me that those criteria are more important than flexibility. If that is the case, a BLT resale is the best option for you. Sorry to say that you can't have it all, you are going to have to compromise somewhere. Good luck!
This is what I would do since I already have enough direct points to do what I what to do, my next purchase would be resale so I could get more points for my money. Then you have the best of both worlds.....
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #32
goneviral
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post

Other timeshare products offer much more "versatility" and value than DVC once you leave the boundaries of Walt Disney World...and they are available on eBay for $1.
I want to add to this reply with a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200934113458...84.m1423.l2649

My wife and I were toying with the notion of buying this yesterday in addition to a DVC purchase.

If you look carefully on eBay, you can find resort timeshares such as this one that require no money down on 2013 maintenance fees, closing costs or the like. This one even provides a guarantee for a clear title, and it is for the fourth highest ranked resort in Orlando as ranked by TripAdvisor users. Plus, there is a $200 gift card included with purchase. While this auction is now closed, there are several like it on eBay right now.

There are a *lot* of time share owners who just want out and will gladly hand you their title as long as you agree to start paying the maintenance fees.

Of course, the flip side of this is that you can stay at many of these places for a week for roughly the same cost as the annual maintenance fees. Such an acquisition includes an understood gamble that the real estate market is in recovery and that such purchases will not be available for much longer.
goneviral is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #33
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneviral View Post
Of course, the flip side of this is that you can stay at many of these places for a week for roughly the same cost as the annual maintenance fees. Such an acquisition includes an understood gamble that the real estate market is in recovery and that such purchases will not be available for much longer.
You can stay at this particular resort for $129/night for a 2-bedroom by booking it on hotels.com, or $903 for a week, which is $1015 with the 12.5% room tax. The maintenance fee is $1021/year. There's a reason it costs $1 to buy in. It is worth, literally, nothing.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #34
goneviral
Earning My Ears

At the moment, yes, and thus my last two sentences. It's also exactly why we didn't buy but it's a data point to track. There are currently 757 timeshares listed on eBay that cost less than $5. Most of them are probably bad (or at best risky) deals but a few are interesting.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #35
derricksonb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursejilly View Post
Hi y'all,
If you had $15,000 to spend on DVC points & you wanted those points to be at BLT or VGF, which resort would you choose? We currently have points at AKV. Love the resort, but would really love to have points at a monorail access property. We generally go to DW for Mardi Gras or Thanksgiving, usually every other year. If our whole family went on a single trip together, it would be 10 of us. I know we would need a lot of points for staying in a larger villa. I would love some help with scenarios. Could we even get points at BLT? I am not interested in a resale. Thanks for any input!
I know some others have touched on some of the advantages, disadvantages or what they would prefer. Based on your criteria of wanting to have a DVC ownership option worth $15K at one of the monorail stops I would say that they are both fairly matched with this only real difference being the cost difference per point for the annual dues: BLT being $4.2219 per point (pp) and VGF being $4.3255pp. Both are currently being sold through DVC at $165.00pp which would give you 90.909 points (I think you can only buy in lots of 10s so let's just call it 90 points at each resort, and both are have contract expirations through 2060. At 90 points it really comes down to a question of preferences and if you are willing to pay an additional $438.xx over the life of the contract for VGF. Of the two I would probably choose VGF simply because of the location and ambiance. I've always loved the GF.

However I ran this exact same scenario last year when I purchased an additional 100 points and discovered that the best total value both annually and over the remaining life of the contract was Old Key West at $8.85pp or $38,940.24 over the remainder of the contract (including interest and annual dues) verses BLT at $9.95pp and $46,753.49 and VGF at $10.05pp and $47,240.41.
derricksonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #36
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by derricksonb View Post

I know some others have touched on some of the advantages, disadvantages or what they would prefer. Based on your criteria of wanting to have a DVC ownership option worth $15K at one of the monorail stops I would say that they are both fairly matched with this only real difference being the cost difference per point for the annual dues: BLT being $4.2219 per point (pp) and VGF being $4.3255pp. Both are currently being sold through DVC at $165.00pp which would give you 90.909 points (I think you can only buy in lots of 10s so let's just call it 90 points at each resort, and both are have contract expirations through 2060. At 90 points it really comes down to a question of preferences and if you are willing to pay an additional $438.xx over the life of the contract for VGF. Of the two I would probably choose VGF simply because of the location and ambiance. I've always loved the GF.

However I ran this exact same scenario last year when I purchased an additional 100 points and discovered that the best total value both annually and over the remaining life of the contract was Old Key West at $8.85pp or $38,940.24 over the remainder of the contract (including interest and annual dues) verses BLT at $9.95pp and $46,753.49 and VGF at $10.05pp and $47,240.41.
VGF is $150 pp now.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #37
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Grand Floridian, because to me there is no comparison to the properties at all. It was built cheaply and I don't think that it's just furnishings either. I personally would not buy resale, I am not convinced restrictions to usage of resale points is over.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #38
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I want to add to this reply with a link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200934113458...84.m1423.l2649

My wife and I were toying with the notion of buying this yesterday in addition to a DVC purchase.

If you look carefully on eBay, you can find resort timeshares such as this one that require no money down on 2013 maintenance fees, closing costs or the like. This one even provides a guarantee for a clear title, and it is for the fourth highest ranked resort in Orlando as ranked by TripAdvisor users. Plus, there is a $200 gift card included with purchase. While this auction is now closed, there are several like it on eBay right now.

There are a *lot* of time share owners who just want out and will gladly hand you their title as long as you agree to start paying the maintenance fees.

Unless you're tied to a specific resort for Orlando for something you'll use and not trade, it's rarely a good idea to buy Orlando for most options. Exceptions would be for things that are part of a system like Marriott, Bluegreen, Hilton or Wyndham. You're almost always better off buying somewhere else and trading in, I've traded studios for 3 BR in Orlando many times at top resorts. We're talking non DVC of course.

Last edited by Dean; 06-21-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #39
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
At the moment, yes, and thus my last two sentences. It's also exactly why we didn't buy but it's a data point to track. There are currently 757 timeshares listed on eBay that cost less than $5. Most of them are probably bad (or at best risky) deals but a few are interesting.
The vast majority are not going to be risky.

Anyone thinking of buying into a timeshare and any current owner, should be reading tugbbs.com.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #40
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Such an acquisition includes an understood gamble that the real estate market is in recovery and that such purchases will not be available for much longer.
First of all, I would NEVER purchase any timeshare assuming prices will go UP.

In fact, I look at most timeshares other than DVC exactly the opposite. My theory is, if I get in for nothing and give it away later, I've lost nothing.

In my case, I purchased the rough equivalent of 600-700 DVC points in Wyndham for less than $2,000, and my MFs are $2,200 annually. If I use my points (which we will) and give it away a few years down the road, I've limited my losses to $2,000.

To me that's a very low-cost, low-risk, high-reward situation.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #41
derricksonb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
VGF is $150 pp now.
Thanks. I'll update my info. This may change my strategy for my next round of points purchasing.
derricksonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #42
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by derricksonb View Post
BLT being $4.2219 per point (pp) and VGF being $4.3255pp.
BLT is $4.50/pt and VGF is $5.41/pt in dues for 2013. I think you have last year's dues for BLT and VGC (Grand Californian, not Floridian).
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #43
goneviral
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
First of all, I would NEVER purchase any timeshare assuming prices will go UP.

In fact, I look at most timeshares other than DVC exactly the opposite. My theory is, if I get in for nothing and give it away later, I've lost nothing.

In my case, I purchased the rough equivalent of 600-700 DVC points in Wyndham for less than $2,000, and my MFs are $2,200 annually. If I use my points (which we will) and give it away a few years down the road, I've limited my losses to $2,000.

To me that's a very low-cost, low-risk, high-reward situation.
We have been exploring the structure of the current Florida/South Carolina/Tennessee timeshare economy for exactly this reason. I have a big family as well as a network of tight-knit friends across four continents. I like the idea of being able to have vacation options available for them that cost me little. Since my wife and I are in our 40s and (unfortunately) childless, we have some financial freedom in this regard. Florida and the beaches of South Carolina are where we like to go (along with Cedar Point) while Pigeon Forge is close to where we are so friends/family can visit there while we meet them to hang out for the day. The back door into DVC is why I mentioned it (well, elaborated upon it) here as a viable option. I fully appreciate that solution will not work for most people here but for those who want to explore other alternatives, it is something to consider.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #44
goneviral
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post
Anyone thinking of buying into a timeshare and any current owner, should be reading tugbbs.com.
I've bookmarked this link. Thank you for the information.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #45
brertoad
DIS Veteran

If choosing between VGF and BLT, I'd probably pick VGF.

I do like that you can walk from BLT to MK, but that isn't a real high priority.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: