Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

recipe help

I am doing a cooking camp with 6-10 year olds. There are only 5 of them so it can be a bit elaborate.

Anyway, I'm looking for a dessert.

I would like something that is a bit unique.

It should have an ingredient that they probably haven't tried before, or a new cooking technique. Has to be from scratch. It can cook for a long time or sit over night if it needs to.

It should feed about 15.

Any ideas?
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

just made strawberry shortcake with my dd9 and her friend. they loved making it! especially cutting in the butter. they did a better job than me at that part! This could be a simple recipe that could be interesting, too. they could make individual ones and if you want unique ingredients you could include mixed berries that they might not have tried before?

eta, another thought, for fathers day dd9 and I made pioneer woman's baked fudge. it was insanely good! first time my dd had cooked using a water bath, so that might be something to consider. recipe is right on her website
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

What about cream puffs.
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
I am doing a cooking camp with 6-10 year olds. There are only 5 of them so it can be a bit elaborate.

It should have an ingredient that they probably haven't tried before, or a new cooking technique. Has to be from scratch. It can cook for a long time or sit over night if it needs to.

It should feed about 15.

Any ideas?
Sadly if you use fruit you can probably easily find one that most kids haven't tried. Rhubarb pie would be an easy one that most likely few have tried. You could do a number of fresh fruit pies or tarts that could include peaches, apples or a variety of berries.

Sounds fun! Wish I could join.
Malibustyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

For camping we like to BBQ bananas, peel back one strip of peel, scoop out some of the banana, put chocolate chips and marshmallows on top, replace the peel, grill. We also like to peel bananas completely, drizzle with honey, wrap in foil and grill.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
GS for life
Mouseketeer

Make cinnamon apples in the campfire. You hollow out part of an apple, so that you can fill the core area with red hots. Then you wrap in heavy duty foil and put it in the coals for 20-30 minutes. Then enjoy a baked apple.
We have also made banana boats like the PP said with mini chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. They melt faster, but can be sticky and messy.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

Thanks

We're not camping.. it's in a semi-professional kitchen at the local rec center.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I was going to say French macarons, but that would be way too difficult since the cookie part is temperamental.

What about making truffles?

I like the idea of from-scratch strawberry shortcake.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
laurafergie
DIS Veteran

How about the old recipe Stained Glass Cake? You make as many different colors/flavors of jello and reduce the liquid and refrigerate it thin. Then cut it up, mix with cool whip or whipped cream and put into a graham cracker crust. Refrigerate over night and when you cut it, it looks like stained glass. My kids love this and I loved it as a kid! There are many recipes out there for this and you can get creative with the decorating, sub water in the jello with juices, etc.
2009 All Star Sports
2010 Windsor Hills - Christmas at Disney!!
2015 ???? Always Hopeful!
DH Me DS27 DD23 DD22 DD14 DD10
laurafergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post

It should feed about 15.

Any ideas?
Lemon Merengue Pie. Lots of technique there, many of them probably never had it before. And I've got Lemon Merengue Pie on my mind since I watched MasterChef last night.

Or teach them to make real from scratch cinnamon rolls.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
BCDisneyFanatic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Lemon Merengue Pie. Lots of technique there, many of them probably never had it before. And I've got Lemon Merengue Pie on my mind since I watched MasterChef last night.

Or teach them to make real from scratch cinnamon rolls.
These are both great ideas. I LOVE from-scratch lemon meringue pie, and it's relatively easy, although a bit time-consuming.

This is my favourite cinnamon roll recipe (actually, it's a caramel pecan sticky bun recipe ):

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...e-8d12aadbbe87
BCDisneyFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I tried a "showy" dessert with white chocolate curls on top. (You could add curls to 'most any dessert.) I just used a bar of good chocolate (Ghiardelli ordered on amazon) and pulled a cheese plane across the surface. It curls better if the chocolate is slightly softened. The grand kids tried it and really enjoyed playing with the planer. Then DH had to take a turn.

They could also make a trifle, assuming you have a clear glass bowl to put it in. Any pudding mixed with layers of 'Nilla Wafers standing on edge, or angel food cake pieces layered with Cool Whip (or real whip cream) and/or pudding, with sweetened strawberry halves standing up against the bowl -- the possibilities are endless.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
etoiles
DIS Veteran

What about making some sweet crepes? The crepe technique would be good for them to learn and they could use it in the future for sweet or savory versions.

Me:
DH:
DS (1):
etoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

What about something like a pineapple upside down cake? ( FWIW - I would start off with a yellow cake mix...but that could just as easily be a from scratch cake too)

I also think homemade cinnamon rolls are a great idea - "and" work for breakfast too! I am pretty inept in the kitchen, and I can make a mean cinnamon roll!

Or - my last suggestion - a "wacky cake" that just mixes in the pan, but id definitely a from-scratch cake. We used to make those a lot when I was that age (a b'jillion years ago). There are many recipes on line for that.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!

Last edited by clh2; 06-20-2013 at 08:27 PM.
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Trifle -- lots of different techniques in a single dish, from whipping your own cream, to baking the cake. Very kid friendly too.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: