Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #76
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I took my niece to WDW in 1999. It was at the height of the Pokémon craze. I told her she could have $50 to spend at WDW for souvenirs. She wasn't buying anything. Then I realized she saw the cards at the airport on the way in and she was hoping to use the money to buy them. I told her no way. I spent all this money to take her to WDW, she's not going home with them as her souvenir. I did relent and let her buy a pack or two going home.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #77
poohguys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
Also the game Minecraft has taken over little kids brains. Even my DS12 is addicted to Minecraft and will sit and play it all his wakings hours if I let him.
My DS12 is just the same. The kids in his school have set up their own server so they can all play together. He said some of his friends have stayed up all night playing. (His limit is 10 on school nights and when we go to bed on the weekends-usually about 1 am). I don't get Minecraft, but they interact and work as a team to build stuff.

OP-I asked DS if next time we go to WDW is he going to want to play Minecraft. His answer was Minecraft is fun, but Disney is still more fun.

Off Site '74
Husband too many times to remember starting in 1979
Poly '90
Dixie Landings '95
SOG '96 (honeymoon trip 15 wonderful days!)
Dixie (POR)'97
Dixie (POR) 2003 (First trip for our son)
Dixie (POR)Oct 2005
Dixie (POR) August 2006
Dixie (POR) August 2007
Dixie (POR) August 2012

poohguys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #78
LCoulter
Whoah Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
I wonder why they wanted it to look that way. To make it kind of retro or old school? I wouldn't think it was for retro reasons because kids wouldn't know that it was retro looking, and it sounds like it's mostly the pre-teen set who plays it.

The only two video games I've played somewhat regularly in the last, oh, thirty years or so have been Virtual Magic Kingdom and FarmTown. They looked way better than Minecraft to me. But I always liked my toys to look mostly realistic - no My Little Ponies or Care Bears for me (although those were a little after my time). I'm not criticizing because apparently people like it. I'm just wondering what the reasoning was for making it look like that on purpose.

Speaking of video games. . . The only video game I own is a ColecoVision and some cartridges from the 1980's. I had one and loved it when I was a kid, and my husband bought me this one for Christmas ten or fifteen years ago . Maybe I need to get it out and play
My 43 year old DH and some of his friends as well as the 6 year old DD all love Minecraft so I don't think it is made specifically for the per-teen set. If the game were designed to look realistic, then it would require the gamer to be artistic and to draw the structures. The blocks are like Legos instead and don't require you to be artistic. There are two different modes in the game too...a survival mode that involves fighting as well as building for those that like that challenge or the creative mode which is what DD likes and when DH plays with her, they do creative which is strictly building. They still have the creatures in this mode but they do not attack.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #79
DawnM
Dawn

And just to add another of my .02 to this thread.......

My 15 year old is really into Art and Design and one of the careers he is interested in is designing graphics for electronic gaming........which will mean he will be paid to play around with these games for oh, 8-10 hours per DAY.

Yup, it isn't all in vein.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: