Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #31
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

This reminds me of some of dh's brothers who cannot come over for dinner without wanting to turn on some stupid football game.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #32
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
Also the game Minecraft has taken over little kids brains. Even my DS12 is addicted to Minecraft and will sit and play it all his wakings hours if I let him.
Mine too! No idea what it is about that game, but it seems addictive.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #33
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsGirl View Post
Well, I guess I"ll jump in her and be the devil's advocate ~ there is no way I would condone video games while at the parks. I absolutely get the downtime thing, especially with kids this age and the real effects of becoming overwhelmed, but the OP did say the child was getting a nap/relax time every afternoon and that's when the books/computers/television would be used in our family. There is no way I'm spending all that money to have my young child play on their Ipad. When we needed downtime, we spend it chatting quietly, talking about where we've been, what we've done, where we're headed later that day, having a meal together...family focused
I am in total agreement with you! It is mind boggling how much video games little kids play. I had one first grader so excited for summer because he could play Minecraft all day. This is a kid who should be outside or practicing reading or even learning to tie his shoes.

I just got back from chaperoning a fifth/sixth grade field trip to the keys for marine biology. The teacher made a no phone/video game rule - even during the 12-2 downtime. As she said, kids need to learn to talk to each other.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #34
Duchie
"Answers are the easy part, questions raise the doubt." - J. Buffett

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
Oh yes. There is definitely the "overwhelmed" thing. That's why I usually tell people to wait until a kid is 7 or 8 or 9 before taking them. But they were ready to do it this year because they know how important Disney is to us and they wanted to experience it with us. This little girl is 6 1/2 and she seems to be more of an introvert than an extrovert. And that's fine. I'm an introvert, too. She was very much into the character of Marie from the Aristocats, and I bought her a stuffed Marie. I also always tell people that Disney parks are generally more fun for older kids and adults than for children. But people who haven't been before have a hard time comprehending that.

They didn't really let her play it that much while we were down there. She had to nap during nap time, but did get to play it some. She was probably playing it less than her normal amount. But she still seemed a slightly obsessed with it, telling me all about how to play it even when we were just walking through the parks. At the airport when we were headed home, she was showing me how to play it. Her dad is very involved with an online interactive video game. So video games is just one of their things. But they have other interests and make sure that she has other interests and activities, too. She's pretty well-rounded. But when I think about the kids whose parents set no limits?
If she's an introvert, then her talking about it kind of makes sense. We've got lots of shy people in my family, including my son. When they find a topic that interests them, they tend to talk about it A LOT because it's comfortable and familiar. My son will talk your EAR off about Anime these days (he's 16).
Duchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #35
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

How many kids trudge through the parks going "When can we go back to the hotel and swim?"

How many adults would want to tour the parks without their phones?

Don't ask me to go to the parks without my camera.

We all have our "things".

Last edited by mom2rtk; 06-20-2013 at 03:54 PM.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #36
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaTX View Post
The 10 kids we went with in 2007 didn't seem to be attached to phones/computers and really enjoyed the parks/resort, but I guess technology has changed a lot since even then.
Wait. One six year old and four adults? That doesn't even compare to having two or ten kids.

My kid is an introvert. The first time at Disney, at 3, I accidentally bought her some small princess statues (they were stamps) too early in the trip. So despite the fact that she had her mom, and aunt and three cousins there, there were times she just really really wanted to sit in her stroller and play with the princesses.

As she got older, trips were mainly her and me, so we pretty much kept each other entertained. But when you have a group of adults and only one child - well there are going to be times that there is a more adult orientation in the conversation and activities. It's just the way it is and should be. Her thing was playing the game. If she'd had other kids that she was comfortable with, it might not have been so much.

Plus introverts need some 'alone' time to recharge when with a group. My dd, after purchasing those princesses (yes, I still have them in case she ever has a daughter ) would come home from daycare and play with them for hours until bedtime. Hours. Too much being with people during the day, you know?
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #37
DawnM
Dawn

My kids sometimes play games while waiting for the rides at Disney.

And then, when they get through rides like Mission: Space, they play a group video game on a larger screen.

So, there ya go!

I would imagine she got quite tired of waiting in long lines being an only child with 4 adults. That would be rough.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #38
Laura66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post

I would imagine she got quite tired of waiting in long lines being an only child with 4 adults. That would be rough.
Yes that would be tough! Especially with the judgement coming from one of those adults without kids!

How often was everyone engaging with her? She had no one her age to play with or talk with at her level so when she gets overwhelmed or bored what's wrong with her doing something that comforts her or makes her happy! It just happens to be a game! Big deal!
Laura66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #39
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
This reminds me of some of dh's brothers who cannot come over for dinner without wanting to turn on some stupid football game.
This reminds me of when I go to my Sis and BIL in laws house to watch a football game and she interrupts it with stupid dinner.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #40
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

Minecraft is extremely popular right now. It's like legos only you can build the whole world.

I don't like hearing that one of my kids would rather be playing minecraft than doing whatever we're doing. I usually let them know that this is a sign that they've been playing too much, and I may limit it. Which is exactly the opposite of what they're asking for, and it's not a threat but a genuine concern that they're overdoing it with the Minecraft or whatever. There are times to Minecraft and there are times not to Minecraft, and at Disney at least for our family is a time not to Minecraft.
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #41
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

This reminds me of my aunt and uncle talking about taking one of the grandkids to WDW over 30 years ago and all he wanted to do was stay in the hotel room and color! Some kids just get over stressed and need down time weather its video games or coloring!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #42
POPCITY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomRN View Post
Sounds like that little girl and my son would be best friends. He loves all things Minecraft. You haven't truly known insanity until you've heard the song "I can swing my sword" on a 10 hour loop (thanks youtube).
This made me laugh, my DS goes around playing or singing that song all the time! Has he heard the one about moving to the nether? It's actually kinda catchy!
POPCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #43
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Minecraft is a crazy game... a lot like virtual Legos. Both of my older kids play and talk all the time about the things they've built, even when they're nowhere near the Xbox (neither cares for the mobile version as well).

In my mind, the "test" would be if you'd have the same negative reaction if the kid wanted to go back to the room to play Legos (or with another favorite toy). I think a lot of people assign a negativity to any electronic entertainment even in settings where they wouldn't bat an eye at a child talking about, asking for, or even whining about a non-electronic equivilent, and I don't think that makes any sense at all. Kids get obsessed with things; it is part of growing up. And I just don't get the judgement call that an obsession with a video game is inherantly worse than an obsession with Harry Potter or Legos or Barbies or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (all of which have been big talk-to-anyone-who-doesn't-flee phases for one or more of my kids).

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #44
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Wait a 6 year old takes a nap?

All 4 of my kids have been going to Disney since being babies. They were easy going babies,toddlers and have great memories, but I have even more great ones of those times.

Mine craft obsession is not that odd and being the only kid with 4 adults could get boring pretty quick even in Disney.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #45
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K and K's Mommy View Post
I just got back from chaperoning a fifth/sixth grade field trip to the keys for marine biology. The teacher made a no phone/video game rule - even during the 12-2 downtime. As she said, kids need to learn to talk to each other.
I think that's a reasonable expectation when the kids do have peers to talk to, but not so much for a single 6 year old trying to make conversation with a group of adults for days. At some point, she's bound to want to "escape" to something that lets her be a 6yo as a break from conversation with adults and exercising her patience and best behaviour in the parks.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: