Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Two physicals required in a year for a teen? Update#26

Last year we moved to Texas. In October (last fall) I made an appt. for my 14 year old DD to get established with a local physician. This required a physical. No problem, took her in, checked her out, transferred her records etc. Good to go.

Its now June, not even 9 months later. DD is going to Girl Scout camp and the camp requires a health form completed by a physician, this is her 4th year at camp, we anticipated this.

I printed out the form, it says to be completed by a physician who has seen her within the past 12 months. I called the office this morning to ask them what their procedure is for forms and was told I would need to bring her in for a physical. I reminded the person on the phone that the form says within 12 months and that she had a physical last fall. She said "its been too long, we require her to come for another physical" another physical???? What? This makes no sense.

I'm ticked! I feel like this is a money grab. DD's former Dr. went to a physical every other year when she turned 13. She was not even due for one last year but we wanted her established with a new physician. She is not ill, she has no chronic issues and has not been seen by the Dr. since her physical. Couple of trips to the dermatologist but that is it.

Is this normal for a Dr's office? We never had trouble with the forms in the past even if it had been almost a year since she was seen. In this case she technically is not even due to be seen again until October if we are going by a once a year schedule. I'm not even sure our insurance will cover another physical with the same Dr in less than a year.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom

Last edited by mamacatnv; 06-19-2013 at 11:20 AM.
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Mrs. Ciz
DIS Veteran

I am in the same boat with you. It's not camp physicals but sports physicals for high school. DD's "well child check up" was in November. She now needs a sports physical. Her high school had a doctor in to do them for $20 one afternoon but we had a conflict. My insurance won't pay for another physical until Nov. She needs it for school summer sports practices now. Around here many of the pharmacy clinics, Minute Clinics or Patient First places do sports physicals for around $20 so that's what I'm going to do. I bet you could do the same for a camp physical.
DL: Too many times to count growing up, DL: Jr. High Grad Trip 1980, WDW: Summer 1983, DL: New Year's Eve 1989, WDW: August 1995, DLR: Christmas 2001, DLR: June 2003, WDW: July 2010, WDW: Dec 2011, WDW: June 2013, DLR: July 2013

Wyndham Timeshare Owner & RCI Member since 1985
Mrs. Ciz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Last year we moved to Texas. In October (last fall) I made an appt. for my 14 year old DD to get established with a local physician. This required a physical. No problem, took her in, checked her out, transferred her records etc. Good to go.

Its now June, not even 9 months later. DD is going to Girl Scout camp and the camp requires a health form completed by a physician, this is her 4th year at camp, we anticipated this.

I printed out the form, it says to be completed by a physician who has seen her within the past 12 months. I called the office this morning to ask them what their procedure is for forms and was told I would need to bring her in for a physical. I reminded the person on the phone that the form says within 12 months and that she had a physical last fall. She said "its been too long, we require her to come for another physical" another physical???? What? This makes no sense.

I'm ticked! I feel like this is a money grab. DD's former Dr. went to a physical every other year when she turned 13. She was not even due for one last year but we wanted her established with a new physician. She is not ill, she has no chronic issues and has not been seen by the Dr. since her physical. Couple of trips to the dermatologist but that is it.

Is this normal for a Dr's office? We never had trouble with the forms in the past even if it had been almost a year since she was seen. In this case she technically is not even due to be seen again until October if we are going by a once a year schedule. I'm not even sure our insurance will cover another physical with the same Dr in less than a year.
Who did you speak to at the doctor's office? I'd probably call and speak to the doctor, as we've have many years of working out camp physicals vs school physicals and when to time them. Our doctor will just fill the form out based on the information in the file from the last physical if it is within the timeframe specified.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Who did you speak to at the doctor's office? I'd probably call and speak to the doctor, as we've have many years of working out camp physicals vs school physicals and when to time them. Our doctor will just fill the form out based on the information in the file from the last physical if it is within the timeframe specified.
I'm going to call back in the morning and speak with someone else. The form is specific, within the past 12 months.
Thanks AidensMom
Old 06-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Our school requires if your child plays sports in the fall and spring. You have to have two physicals
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm going to call back in the morning and speak with someone else. The form is specific, within the past 12 months.
I was in the same boat for my sons football camp in August. He had his yearly physical last October but needed one for football after June 1, 2013.

Our pediatrician would have just signed the paper if it would have been sooner but he felt it was too long of a stretch. I had to pay $51.00.

Our ped. did say when its time for his yearly exam next year to just wait until summer then I won't run into the same conflict again.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

I'm sure the doctor will fill out the form being that it has been within 12 months.

However, you may also want to check with her current school for what they require and see what the best schedule is going forward. For instance, my boys's schools require yearly physicals and they must be performed between June 1-Aug. 31. Being that camps also require physicals, it became easiest to schedule these for the first or second weeks in June - this way everyone is covered.

Check with your insurance company to see if they pay for one physical per calendar year or if you specifically need to wait until 12 months have passed. We have Aetna and they pay one per calendar year, so I don't have to worry that this year we are going on June 18 and last year was June 20, etc.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
I'm sure the doctor will fill out the form being that it has been within 12 months.

However, you may also want to check with her current school for what they require and see what the best schedule is going forward. For instance, my boys's schools require yearly physicals and they must be performed between June 1-Aug. 31. Being that camps also require physicals, it became easiest to schedule these for the first or second weeks in June - this way everyone is covered.

Check with your insurance company to see if they pay for one physical per calendar year or if you specifically need to wait until 12 months have passed. We have Aetna and they pay one per calendar year, so I don't have to worry that this year we are going on June 18 and last year was June 20, etc.
DD does not play sports, she does not require anything other than her shot records for school.
Thanks AidensMom
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #9
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roliepolieoliefan View Post
I was in the same boat for my sons football camp in August. He had his yearly physical last October but needed one for football after June 1, 2013.

Our pediatrician would have just signed the paper if it would have been sooner but he felt it was too long of a stretch. I had to pay $51.00.

Our ped. did say when its time for his yearly exam next year to just wait until summer then I won't run into the same conflict again.
I can understand if it is spelled out like that. Girl Scout form says seen by a physician within the past 12 months, so its spelled out also. Its my Dr's office that is unwilling to fill out the form even though she was seen 8 months ago, not the other way around
Thanks AidensMom
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Here, sports and camp physicals generally have to be done after April 1. So in your case it would just be a matter of lousy timing, because the fall visit wouldn't be recent enough for the forms. I schedule all my kids' well visits for May/June just because of that - it is early enough for camp forms but late enough to count as the sports physical for the coming school year as well.

Check to see if your health dept offers sports physicals. Around here, they have specific days when sports/camp physicals are offered for a flat $20 fee.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Here, sports and camp physicals generally have to be done after April 1. So in your case it would just be a matter of lousy timing, because the fall visit wouldn't be recent enough for the forms. I schedule all my kids' well visits for May/June just because of that - it is early enough for camp forms but late enough to count as the sports physical for the coming school year as well.

Check to see if your health dept offers sports physicals. Around here, they have specific days when sports/camp physicals are offered for a flat $20 fee.
We recently moved about 60 miles from where the Dr's office is. I still work in the area but its a hassle to get DD there for another physical when one is not necessary.

I was ticked enough I called a local medical group to get her established with someone closer to our home and to get my stupid form. When I mentioned to the medical group the issue, I asked if this was a local thing (since we are new) and she said no. Its not a sports physical with specific date requirements, its a camp form and her last physical falls within the guidelines of the requirements of Girl Scouts. The lady at the new medical group could not understand why her current physician would not complete the form and the Dr's office that will not fill it out would not give me a decent reason other than "its been too long" well, what exactly does that mean? The Dr's office didn't ask me when she is going to camp, the least they could do is cite some sort of rule or policy, something other than "its been too long, she needs a new physical"
Thanks AidensMom
Old 06-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We recently moved about 60 miles from where the Dr's office is. I still work in the area but its a hassle to get DD there for another physical when one is not necessary.

I was ticked enough I called a local medical group to get her established with someone closer to our home and to get my stupid form. When I mentioned to the medical group the issue, I asked if this was a local thing (since we are new) and she said no. Its not a sports physical with specific date requirements, its a camp form and her last physical falls within the guidelines of the requirements of Girl Scouts. The lady at the new medical group could not understand why her current physician would not complete the form and the Dr's office that will not fill it out would not give me a decent reason other than "its been too long" well, what exactly does that mean? The Dr's office didn't ask me when she is going to camp, the least they could do is cite some sort of rule or policy, something other than "its been too long, she needs a new physical"
I get it. Yes I would be mad too. If it says within a year and it has been how can the office constitute that its "too long". Thats ridiculous.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
roseaster
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Use HIPAA to your advantage. You have the right to request and receive copies of your daughter's medical records. Get a copy of the H&P from Oct. and attach is to the current form.
roseaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #14
Belle0101
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseaster View Post
Use HIPAA to your advantage. You have the right to request and receive copies of your daughter's medical records. Get a copy of the H&P from Oct. and attach is to the current form.
Crossing my fingers that she doesn't run into the same problem I had once. I was switching dermatologists and called for copies of my records. The old office wouldn't even confirm over the phone if I could physically pick them up. I had to ask for them in person.

I went in, was told that yes, I could have them but it would be an 8 week wait due to a backlog of requests, they only do them on specific days, only one person handles the requests ... and there was a per page copy fee.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

I just posted about this within the past week. DD needed a medical form filled out to attend Girls State. They said she needed a physical. Then a few weeks later she gets a form to attend LTC. This one was just for ped to sign off on any meds she takes so the nurse can administer while she's away or, in the case of her inhaler, that she has been properly instructed on its use and can keep it on her. So I bring the form and the nurse tells me "if it's been more than one month she needs a physical". I lost it. I said it's just for him to sign off on her meds. She gave me some crap and a nasty attitude but then said if they were asking about weight or height (BTW, DD is 17-1/2 and has only grown one inch since 5th grade), that she must come in for another physical if it's been more than ONE month since the last.

So now what do I do when she gets her band camp forms and then over a month later she gets her forms for the new school year? This is complete bull. For a doctor's office that I always have a hard time getting an appointment on a weekend (because they won't allow her to come in by herself because she's a minor ). I can't wait until she's 18 because I'm getting her the heck out of that money grabbing practice. Do they really think the insurance is going to pay for 4, 5, 6 physicals a year? Then doctor's can't complain that don't get fair reimbursements from insurance companies.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: