Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Kona coffee K-cups

Every time I hear Pete talk about Kona coffee on the podcast I want to try some. My reluctance is that I generally like lighter roast coffee (think donut shop style coffee). For example my favorite K cup is Breakfast Blend, and I'd take a regular old coffee with cream from Dunkin Donuts over anything from Starbucks. Since Starbucks is ubiquitous, the coffee I do tend to get from there is Blonde roast.

Basically I'm wondering if the Kona coffee is going to be very full bodied along the lines of a darker roast and therefore possibly not to my liking.

My second question is if anyone has tried Kona K-cups (not the Kona blend but the actual Kona coffee). I found 10 K cup packs on Amazon of pure Kona coffee for $19, which I figure is about as cheap as its gonna get for Kona coffee. But before I buy them I thought I'd try to get some more info here.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Kona will be a bit darker and more earthy than a light roast such as the Starbucks Blonde.

Another option is ground/whole Kona beans that you then put into the My K-cup to brew.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Patabel

DIS Veteran
My family considers me "pathetic" but really I'm more of a constant lurker

Another thing to keep in mind, that while Kona is a bit darker, it lacks any of the bitterness that comes with dark coffee. My family just LOVES kona!

First Trip to WDW: 1971!
Other trips: I've been so fortunate - too many to count.
Patabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Keep in mind that the Kona K-cups are a Kona blend and not pure Kona coffee. I bought some refillable filters for the Keurig at Bed, Bath and Beyond and am looking to buy some pure Kona coffee. They have it at Trader Joe's for $20.

Kona is just the best coffee and everytime I have it I am reminded of the islands.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
SaraMc
DIS Veteran

There is a brand of K Cups out there called Jetsetter. They have one called Aloha that is similar to the old Kona that Green Mountain used to have. DH had those and loves them
Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Mr. Disney 652
AK Opening Crew 1998 - Now DVC!

I just got Tullys Kona blend....medium roast $56 for 96 k cups
Mr. Disney 652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
dvcfamily41801
Has realized you can NEVER have too many DVC points
Would love to be a teachers assistant in an elementary school
Florida Project station takes me to my Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Disney 652 View Post
I just got Tullys Kona blend....medium roast $56 for 96 k cups
Oh where? I can not find them anywhere! I found Tully's Hawaiian but it is not Kona.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Mr. Disney 652
AK Opening Crew 1998 - Now DVC!

I got mine at coffee for less
Quick delivery too
Mr. Disney 652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

I found this one on Amazon. It's pricey but it is 100% Kona.

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Roaster...rds=kona+k-cup

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
DisneyKentucky
DIS Veteran

Location: Bowling Green, Ky. about 45 mins from Nashville, Tn.

Not to be that guy but I'm going to be that guy. K-Cups I get are great for people on the run but they are not cheaper and they tend to be a bad cup of coffee (yes, I am a coffee snob).

You may not realize how much you’re paying. An average priced package is $14 for 16 cups, found locally at Target. Do the math, and you’ll see you’re paying $32 per pound for this coffee (which, by the way, was likely roasted up to a year ago, then ground up and put into a non-recyclable cup). For literally half the price, you can get beans that are less than three weeks old — not to mention roasted just right and ethically sourced at your local coffee shop not named Starsucks — and save the rest of your hard-earned money for something else.

Sorry I hijacked but K-Cups are becoming way too popular for all the wrong reasons.
DisneyWorld- Sept. 2010, April 2011, Dec. 2011, Dec. 2012, Oct-Nov 2013, January 2013 ran the Half Marathon at Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 2014 and May/June 2014 Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour event and 2 weekends of Star Wars Weekends!

Upcoming Planned:
DisneyKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
DisneyKentucky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwood View Post
I found this one on Amazon. It's pricey but it is 100% Kona.

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Roaster...rds=kona+k-cup
Case in point, that is $70 for a pound of Kona coffee that was most likely made 6 to 9 months ago. For around that same price you can get 2 pounds for one of the better easy to ship Kona coffee http://www.koacoffee.com/coffeestore.html
DisneyWorld- Sept. 2010, April 2011, Dec. 2011, Dec. 2012, Oct-Nov 2013, January 2013 ran the Half Marathon at Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 2014 and May/June 2014 Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour event and 2 weekends of Star Wars Weekends!

Upcoming Planned:
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Thanks for the tips. I do use K-cups for the convenience - and since I'm the only one in my house who drinks coffee there's no need to brew a whole pot for it to mostly sit & go bad. Plus, even though K cups can be pricey, it's still cheaper than paying $2-$5 per day for a morning cup at a coffeehouse on my way to work.

I think I will try just buying some Kona beans & I using the refillable k cup to make it that way. I probably won't drink it as often, but it'll still be a convenient way to enjoy some Kona coffee on the weekends when I have more time.
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
DisneyKentucky
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit116 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I do use K-cups for the convenience - and since I'm the only one in my house who drinks coffee there's no need to brew a whole pot for it to mostly sit & go bad. Plus, even though K cups can be pricey, it's still cheaper than paying $2-$5 per day for a morning cup at a coffeehouse on my way to work.

I think I will try just buying some Kona beans & I using the refillable k cup to make it that way. I probably won't drink it as often, but it'll still be a convenient way to enjoy some Kona coffee on the weekends when I have more time.
See, I am an addict. A pot is my typical morning.

Upcoming Planned:
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patabel View Post
Another thing to keep in mind, that while Kona is a bit darker, it lacks any of the bitterness that comes with dark coffee. My family just LOVES kona!
Kona is really really good....I love the strength of the taste.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
mikethedigiartist
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit116 View Post
As a self proclaimed coffee snob I can attest to the delight a cup of Kona can bring. Just a note that most Kona sold as blends rather than 100% Kona, since the price per pound is higher than most origin coffees.

It sounds like you are accustomed to blends over origin roasts, so I would try and get a Kona blend locally. Might try a higher end grocery store, Whole Foods or Trader Joe's comes to mind.

If you decide to go 100% Kona I would suggest buying whole bean if you can from a local roaster, which might be incredibly hard to track down 100% Kona. Amazon is so so, but you dont know how long coffee has been sitting around—and who wants to dump a load of cash on old beans.

Alternatively, and undoubtedly my favorite option, you could order a Kona french press pot when you visit WDW at Kona Cafe. They sell the beans there too, maybe mail order from there if a trip is too expensive (that could be one expensive cup of coffee).
mikethedigiartist is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: