Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
I consider myself to be in a rather contented self-imposed exile.

Jokes aside, I've learned that somebody from my background shouldn't use the term redneck, lest I offend anybody.
Yeah, same reason white people avoid the n word.

The term is batted around pretty casually since Jeff Foxworthy became popular. But, in my youth, it was always intended as an insult, even among rural folks. Rednecks were (excrement) disturbers, and not thought of in much regard. In "Footloose", Chuck was a "redneck" while Willard was not.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballmom56 View Post
Although WE don't qualify as rednecks, lol, my DD went to HS where one of the local kids in her graduating class drove his HUGE John Deere tractor to Project Graduation and parked it in the parking lot. So funny to see him pull out when I went to pick her up at 6:00 am.
Many classmates at my senior prom arrived not in limos but in tractors and even combines!

Even more embarrassing because this goes way beyond redneck to just plain bad parenting and white trash I know someone who has let their daughters go swimming in a pig trough! Not a repurposed pinterest project but a trough still in the pig field!!!

My apologies to those white trash I may have offended while typing this reply.
Malibustyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #18
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopermom View Post
That was Longmire, a show my DH and I both LOVE (if you haven't read the books, they are great, too).

Whenever I tell our extended families back in the cities of SE WI what we've been doing up here in the wilds of the UP, it always sounds like a redneck joke . Ex: you know our kids are rednecks because the first day of deerhunting is a school holiday...

Terri
Well you darn Yoopers always get the best days off Is the group still together? From a Troll
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
DisneyDiva8401
Mouseketeer

However there is a difference in being country/southern and redneck just as there is a difference in being a redneck and white trash

DisneyDiva8401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #20
Fortuosity
That's me byword

... when a youth, cow patties provided one of life's best little treasure-troves of fun?
(memories....)

... your honeymoon private pool/"hot tub" was a small, plastic kiddie pool of cold water on a cracked slab of concrete that some years previously held a singlewide trailer on the bride's parents' property?
(should do for our 25th anniversary, now that we have the "privacy" again - Google & Government be hanged!)

... you pee on the back porch?
(that's where the toilet is located, so it's that or do my business in the woods)
Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #21
Fortuosity
That's me byword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Or worse, be dismisses the excuse and says you should have planned better knowing it was harvest season
Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #22
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Gumbo DH is from Fisk (nearest town is Poplar Bluff)

He says if people wear hipwaders (sp) to school...lots of rice farms down there , they also would meet at the old cotton gin after school if somebody was going to fight. The first time I went to his house WHOA you cross over some traintracks, and there are a few old old rusted mobile homes, with cars on cinder blocks and goats chickens runnning around. Totally different world from my St Charles suburban home! I remember thinking please don't live somewhere like that as I drove down the highway his parents very nice home is on.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #23
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Ahhh, bootheel . Not familiar with Fisk, but definitely know Poplar Bluff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: