Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Please be patient with me

I am very scared I am flying alone for the first time in lest say 13 years so what happens if the plan as to take you a different route will some one help you figure out the way. For example right now it is MCO atl bdl but what if it does not happen that way?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

The folks at the check in counter can help you when you get off the plane. It doesn't happen very often though
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

I hate to fly. That said, I can't imagine that the flight route would change unless there is some type of huge weather event, and it would probably be very unlikely something that big would happen without warning. The last time we flew, they had to cancel the flight after we started boarding due to an engine failure. Before we got off the plane, we were told to go back to the counter near a certain gate for assistance. We had to wait in line awhile, but there were people working there to get us rebooked, hotel rooms, etc. if something should happen, don't panic, just listen closely to what the attendants and pilot tell you to do, someone will help you. In our case, it was easy to find because everyone was going to the same place.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabyblues View Post
I hate to fly. That said, I can't imagine that the flight route would change unless there is some type of huge weather event, and it would probably be very unlikely something that big would happen without warning. The last time we flew, they had to cancel the flight after we started boarding due to an engine failure. Before we got off the plane, we were told to go back to a counter at in a certain area of the airport for assistance. We had to wait in line awhile, but there were people working there to get us rebooked, hotel rooms, etc. if something should happen, just listen closely to what the attendants and pilot tell you to do, someone will help you.
Thank you
Old 06-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
low-key
DIS Veteran

lol, your over thinking it
Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
lol, your over thinking it
Figured I know I worry to much
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

You're gonna do just great
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
kathie859
DIS Veteran

If there's a change in your flight, they will announce it over the PA system. Also, when you get off the plane, the airlines have employees to assist pointing you in the right direction should you need help.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #9
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Thank you everyone
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

Have someone who will be by their phone to walk you through what to do. Just call them and have them help you.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I used to fly a lot for work. It was rare for something to happen to cause a reroute but I remember one time I was flying Pittsburgh-Philadelphia-Jacksonville. The Pittsburgh-Philadelphia flight was delayed, which would have caused me to miss the connection. They called me up to the counter at the gate and gave me new boarding passes for Pittsburgh-Charlotte-Jacksonville and told me what gate the Charlotte flight was at.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

So it is almost always a simple fix?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
So it is almost always a simple fix?
Yes, especially if you are flying through Atlanta where there are a lot of flights. I never got stuck anywhere, I flew almost weekly for 3 years.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post

Yes, especially if you are flying through Atlanta where there are a lot of flights. I never got stuck anywhere, I flew almost weekly for 3 years.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Don't worry, they're not just going to dump you at some other airport and say "bye, see ya!"

If they have to divert (which is pretty darn unusual), they will help you get to your original destination. If it's a weather thing, or a medical emergency, you'll probably not have to get off the plane - just stay in your seat on the plane till they take off again.

For instance, a friend of mine was flying to Houston on a business trip a few months ago. Bad thunderstorms came up in Houston while they were on the way there, and the pilot decided it wouldn't be safe to land. So he flew to Austin instead, and they sat there on the plane for about an hour, waiting for the weather to clear in Houston. The flight attendants handed out snacks and drinks, and before you know it, they were taking off again, and on their way to Houston.

If it's a mechanical problem with the plane, they might have another plane take you the rest of the way. In that case they'll tell you where to go to get on the new plane. They might offer you the option of booking a different flight, or if it's late at night, and you want to resume your trip the next morning, they can help you book a hotel.

It's very, very unlikely that any of these things will happen on your flight. I've flown loads of times, and never been diverted once. But just remember, they *will* help you. The flight attendants will tell you what you need to know to continue on your way, and if you still feel like you need help, just talk to the flight attendant as you're getting off the plane.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: