Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #1
Rafiki31
Mouseketeer

Words fail me

Can anyone help me write a card? A former teacher ( clinical instructor) has terminal cancer. She is going to stop chemo and go on hospice. She's a young woman, in her 50s and I'm wanting to let her know I'm thinking of her. I live in another state and haven't spoken to her in a couple if years. Please help me word something appropriate to say! Is it ok to send flowers or something? I just don't know what to say or do, and my emotion is clouding it more. But I really want to send so etching, but nothing seems right to say.
Rafiki31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #2
sk!mom
DIS Veteran

You're in my thoughts and on my heart. I love you, X

Add " my prayers" if she is.

I'm very sorry!
sk!mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
LuvGoofy6
"This bond between us can't be broken. I will be here, don't you cry." ~ Kala

Send her your prayers and tell her you are doing that. I would also put a note in there telling how she had a positive impact on you as an instructor. Or a memory you have of her class that makes you smile.

(Disneyland): 2013 Sheraton Park
LuvGoofy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
low-key
DIS Veteran

Im sorry

Last edited by low-key; 09-02-2014 at 09:56 PM.
low-key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
Yougotit
Earning My Ears

maybe something that says "I can't believe it's already been two years, I always remember how you taught us to (something personal here)". and then end it off with "I've heard you're going through a hard time and although I wasn't sure exactly how to say it, I want you to know how much you mean to me".

Last edited by Yougotit; 09-02-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: edited for poor grammar...
Yougotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
Belle-To-Be
Mouseketeer

Agree with LuvGoofy6. Let her know what an impact she's made on your life. We all need to feel our time here was worthwhile, made a difference.
Belle-To-Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvGoofy6 View Post
Send her your prayers and tell her you are doing that. I would also put a note in there telling how she had a positive impact on you as an instructor. Or a memory you have of her class that makes you smile.
I like that. I had a manager who had lung cancer. I sent her a Get Well card with Mickey on it because she joked one time that my friends & I probably go around Disney with our Mouse hats on! I thought that would make her smile. Unfortunately, she never came back to work, she passed away about 9 months after diagnosis, only 43 years old.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

I would NOT go with a "Get Well Soon" card or anything funny or too whimsical under these circumstances. If you know her to be a person of faith I'd look for something that would affirm her in that way or a simple "Thinking of You" card. As to what you should say? Let her know how influential she has been in your life and thank her for it. I love the idea several others have mentioned about recounting a few special memories. Whatever you end up saying - say it. Please don't let the awkwardness prevent you from reaching out.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #9
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

"You are in my thoughts and prayers. I would like you to know you made a big difference in my life. Thank you and God speed."
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #10
BigAlsGal
DIS Veteran

I personally would avoid cliche phrases like "I'm sorry" "You're in my thoughts/prayers". Everybody seems to say them. She's probably got 100 people telling her that everyday.

Maybe something like you're an amazing person and I am a better person for having known you. Share good memories. Say what's in your heart.

BigAlsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsGal View Post
I personally would avoid cliche phrases like "I'm sorry" "You're in my thoughts/prayers". Everybody seems to say them. She's probably got 100 people telling her that everyday.

Maybe something like you're an amazing person and I am a better person for having known you. Share good memories. Say what's in your heart.
I think that last part is great to include!

Whatever you do, please do something. I guess everybody is different about things, but I have been very close to this myself. You don't know how much it means to her and the family, just the simplest of things people say and do. If it is a simple "thoughts and prayers" card, that is good, if you want to elaborate more, that is wonderful. Speak from your heart, just let her know. Every kind word, action will be greatly appreciated.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #12
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

I'm going to take a different point of view on this. If I were the teacher what would touch me the most would be a handwritten note. It doesn't have to be long, but spoken from the heart as others have said. Tell me why you remember me and share a memory. I am not a big fan of cards in this kind of life moment.
I'd treasure your words, not someone elses from Hallmark or any other company.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
lauradis
DIS Veteran

How about a Simple Thank you card.

Write how she touched your life and thank her for making you a better person.

Nice fuzzy blanket would be nice too. End of someones life can be literally cold.
lauradis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I agree with the pp who said to avoid the usual "you are in my thoughts and prayers" it's just so, I don't know, over-used I guess. It feels like a standard line or something, like reciting something.

I love the "I am a better person for having known you" that a pp suggested. Or something like, "you had a profound impact on me" then describe why, and maybe share a memory of two that was between the two of you.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: