Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Terrible accidents at Dayton air show and at Le Mans race

Very sad, but thinking that they died doing that they loved to do.

In Dayton, wing walker and pilot were killed when the plane crashed:
caution: news site has links to video of crash.
http://www.daytondailynews.com

Then in Le Mans France during the first laps of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Allan Simonsens car crashed into a barrier and later died of his injuries. I was watching this and it appears that he hit a tree that was directly behind the fence.
caution: news article has link to in camera video of car directly behind
Allan Simonsen's car.
http://jalopnik.com/le-mans-driver-a...rash-541288338
Old 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
Very sad, but thinking that they died doing that they loved to do.

In Dayton, wing walker and pilot were killed when the plane crashed:
caution: news site has links to video of crash.
http://www.daytondailynews.com

Then in Le Mans France during the first laps of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Allan Simonsens car crashed into a barrier and later died of his injuries. I was watching this and it appears that he hit a tree that was directly behind the fence.
caution: news article has link to in camera video of car directly behind
Allan Simonsen's car.
http://jalopnik.com/le-mans-driver-a...rash-541288338
We were at the air show in 2007 and witnessed the first crash in the history of the Dayton Air Show. We had not been back since, and after today, we will never return. Prayers for everyone involved with both tragedies today and for those who witnessed them.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

The LeMans crash was quite frightening. I was afraid that would be the outcome, especially when they put a tarp over the car, and then when I saw the tree.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

The video is terribly disturbing. A friend posted it on FB several hours ago. I will never take my family to another air show. A good friend of mine was at the show in Reno in 2011 where 10 people died and many more were injured. He (has pilots license and is into RC airplanes) said he was done after that.

We were at the Dayton air show maybe 4 years ago (memorable because it was COLD, like jeans and coat cold in July). It is a wonderful showcase of aviation, but we will stick to the Air Force Museum and fly overs at baseball games/etc.

I remember this woman (wing walker) from our visit, she was truly impressive. Prayers and thoughts to their family and friends...and to everyone who witnessed the events today.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post
The video is terribly disturbing. A friend posted it on FB several hours ago. I will never take my family to another air show. A good friend of mine was at the show in Reno in 2011 where 10 people died and many more were injured. He (has pilots license and is into RC airplanes) said he was done after that.

We were at the Dayton air show maybe 4 years ago (memorable because it was COLD, like jeans and coat cold in July). It is a wonderful showcase of aviation, but we will stick to the Air Force Museum and fly overs at baseball games/etc.

I remember this woman (wing walker) from our visit, she was truly impressive. Prayers and thoughts to their family and friends...and to everyone who witnessed the events today.
This particular wing walker had never been here before. The only good thing to come out of the effects of sequestration is that the air show attendance was down this year because there are no military acts in the air or on the ground. That means that fewer families than would normally attend witnessed this terrible accident. Speaking from experience, it is a horrifying thing to witness. In 2007, they did not say that the pilot had died on impact until much later. Knowing what we know about planes, we knew immediately that he was dead on impact. They announced today's deaths much faster. It is so terribly sad.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirlz View Post
The LeMans crash was quite frightening. I was afraid that would be the outcome, especially when they put a tarp over the car, and then when I saw the tree.
I could tell it was a bad crash just by the fact that the roof had collapsed in and the tree. It wasnt until I saw the in car camera footage from the car behind when I realized just how fast he was going when his car lost control and suddenly veered into the guard rail and tree.

The Aston Martin website has even gone "black" giving a brief message on its front page:

http://www.astonmartin.com/
Old 06-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoreds View Post

She was in Cleveland last year for the airshow. She was really great.
I am looking for the pic folder now that I took at the show.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
This particular wing walker had never been here before. The only good thing to come out of the effects of sequestration is that the air show attendance was down this year because there are no military acts in the air or on the ground. That means that fewer families than would normally attend witnessed this terrible accident. Speaking from experience, it is a horrifying thing to witness. In 2007, they did not say that the pilot had died on impact until much later. Knowing what we know about planes, we knew immediately that he was dead on impact. They announced today's deaths much faster. It is so terribly sad.
I knew about the furlough (no blue angels). Thankful as well.

Must have been another female walker/acrobat. Thanks for the clarification : )

I'm sorry to hear about your firsthand experience. PTSD is no joke.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: