Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Tick Bite?'s

I was bitten by a Tick that most likely was latched on for probably 48hrs. The most difficult part was my DH trying to get it off me. It's location made it not noticeable for that long, and not possible for me to remove.

Any input appreciated. We live in a wooded area, so took the tick to our Health Dept for identification. The area of the bite tender.
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Was it a deer tick? If so, it may have transmitted lyme disease. What state do you live in? The northeast has a ton of lyme disease, practically an epidemic.

you should call your doctor, but they will probably tell you to keep an eye out for a bulls eye rash and/or flu like symptoms. They may do a blood test, but I think you have to wait a few weeks since it does not show up right away in blood tests.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Here are some good references.
http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/symptoms.html

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/life_cycle_and_hosts.html

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
Was it a deer tick? If so, it may have transmitted lyme disease. What state do you live in? The northeast has a ton of lyme disease, practically an epidemic.

you should call your doctor, but they will probably tell you to keep an eye out for a bulls eye rash and/or flu like symptoms. They may do a blood test, but I think you have to wait a few weeks since it does not show up right away in blood tests.
Sorry, I wasn't explaining more. The identification at the Health Dept. Is not immediate, we took the Tick in this am. They will call, in the meanwhile information is provided as to what to watch for to determine ie Lyme, or ER visit.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
mommy2allgirls
Stay out of the damn lakes!

Get on at least 4 weeks of antibiotics now and don wait any longer. Of you treat right away you can cure Lyme disease and other co infections but if you don't it can become chronic and damage your body. I didn't get diagnosed for a year and now I'm mostly bedridden. Lyme is in all states by the way

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Lyme Blog
mommy2allgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
mommy2allgirls

Oh and only less than 50% of people with Lyme get a bullseye rash

Lyme Blog
Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

Definitely call your doctor. They can give you preventative antibiotics, but I think you have to take it within 24 hours of the bite. Otherwise, you watch for symptoms. Like a pp said, Lyme is nothing to fool around with, it can be extremely serious if left untreated.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2allgirls View Post
Get on at least 4 weeks of antibiotics now and don wait any longer. Of you treat right away you can cure Lyme disease and other co infections but if you don't it can become chronic and damage your body. I didn't get diagnosed for a year and now I'm mostly bedridden. Lyme is in all states by the way

So sorry this happened to you. I live in the Niagara Region in Ontario, Canada. Lyme Disease carrying Deer Ticks are in parts of Ontario but, thus far not in our area. I'm wishing to be cautious, (Health Dept) because Deer are here.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Why would you tell someone to get on antibiotics when she doesn't even know what type of tick bit her yet?

OP, did you take a picture of it? My son had a tick on him after my kids were romping in the woods at the beach this week. It was not a deer tick, thankfully, and came off easily. I hope you get good news from the health dept.
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
mommy2allgirls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydelly View Post

Why would you tell someone to get on antibiotics when she doesn't even know what type of tick bit her yet?

OP, did you take a picture of it? My son had a tick on him after my kids were romping in the woods at the beach this week. It was not a deer tick, thankfully, and came off easily. I hope you get good news from the health dept.
Because most ticks carry a co infection if not Lyme. I sadly know too much about this topic and have seen many people die from Lyme or the co infections like babesia or bartonella. It is better to be on antibiotics within the first two days of the bite if you start later than that you run the risk of the spriochetes not all dying and you becoming a chronically ill patient. Trust be I've been there and nearly died from Lyme, babesia and bartonella. It's not something to take lightly.

Watch the documentary Under our Skin on Hulu and you will see what a tick bite can do to you

Lyme Blog
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Here is FAQs with facts about Lyme Disease from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/faq/index.html

And a link to treatment guidelines from the infectious Disease Society of America:

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/43/9/1089.full

They do not recommend treatment of people without symptoms in most circumstances. The first page of the guidelines recommend when preventative treatment might be recommended.
They include the tick having been attached for 36 hours or more, that it is the correct type of tick and the exposure took place in an area where 20% or more of ticks are known to be infected with the organism that causes Lyme Disease.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
mommy2allgirls

Sadly the CDC and most docs don't believe in chronic Lyme or even treating Lyme with antibiotics because of the expense. Doxycycline is hard to get now so even less are prescribing it. There is a big fight in the medical community about Lyme disease. It's being treated a lot like AIDS was in the 80s. In regards to Lyme I don't trust the CDC they are backed my insurance companies and insurance companies don't want to pay for the cost of chronic Lyme.

You don't have to listen to what I say I'm just warning you about the dangers of the disease and how a month of antibiotics is better than a lifetime of being sick. Until you've been there I guess you will never know

Lyme Blog
Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

My DD5 got a tick last year and we had predicted it was attached to her head for nearly 72 hours. It was huge! My DH discovered it & got it off. When I brought her into the dr I also brought the tick in a Baggie that we had placed in the freezer. They said my DH had gotten all the tick (including the head which is important). When I asked if the tick could be tested for Lyme disease, they said I would have to do that privately. When I asked if she needed antibiotics the dr said to just make sure she doesn't get a fever or a rash. All seemed fine & nothing ever came of it. I do see stories in people's lives where it does pop up later as the disease has just been brewing. We pray that's not the case, but I really trust our dr and I feel good about how we handled it. We hope there's not a next time! Best wishes to the OP. Keep us posted on this for sure. And sorry to the PP who has struggled with this disease.
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #14
mommy2allgirls

I'm sorry if I've come across as rude in this post that is not my intention. I just want people to be aware of this disease and what a simple tick bite can do. Even if it doesn't carry Lyme a tick can carry other infections. I have Lyme, babesisos, and bartonella. Babesisos is a malaria type illness and I'm on the same meds that treat malaria and they cost over $1000 a month. I also now have to have a port in my chest and be attached to an IV 10 hours a day just to stay alive. I'm passionate about this because it stole my life and is a big controversy in the medical community and many people don't truly know what can happen. Also the CDC says it can't be passed during pregnancy but I would like them to explain how my newborn who had three samples taken at delivery tested positive for Lyme.

I'm sorry of my approach was rude or anything I do apologize and will step away. Of anyone has questions please private message me and op I'm sending you lots of pixie dust that everything is ok. Take care

Lyme Blog
Old 06-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sorry if I've come across as rude in this post that is not my intention. I just want people to be aware of this disease and what a simple tick bite can do. Even if it doesn't carry Lyme a tick can carry other infections. I have Lyme, babesisos, and bartonella. Babesisos is a malaria type illness and I'm on the same meds that treat malaria and they cost over $1000 a month. I also now have to have a port in my chest and be attached to an IV 10 hours a day just to stay alive. I'm passionate about this because it stole my life and is a big controversy in the medical community and many people don't truly know what can happen. Also the CDC says it can't be passed during pregnancy but I would like them to explain how my newborn who had three samples taken at delivery tested positive for Lyme.

I'm sorry of my approach was rude or anything I do apologize and will step away. Of anyone has questions please private message me and op I'm sending you lots of pixie dust that everything is ok. Take care

No worries. I feel your passion & concern.
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: