Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
CapeCodTenor
Born on a small planet around Alpha Centauri and immigrated to Roswell, N.M. in 1947 with my parents.
Was a man last time I checked
I can fart with my back

iPhone vs. Samsung's Galaxy

Hey everyone,

I'm due for an upgrade on my cell phone next month and I was looking into getting something other than another iPhone, I currently have the 4s. My wife recently purchased her first smart phone, the Galaxy s3, and as I got to play I go to thinking about making the switch from my iPhone. Before anyone asks, I've done research online so I know what the specs are and what it has to offer, I’ve even talked to friends who have the Galaxy s3, but I wanted to hear from people I don't know. I wanted to hear what other people's thought are on the phone: Did you like it or dislike and why? Since I'm going to be switching from my iPhone, I would also love to hear from former iPhone users.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

The Galaxy S3 is a great phone and I think you'll love it. I was deciding between that phone and the HTC One S this winter and went with the HTC only because I like their overlay better. My girlfriend has the S3 as do many people I know and no one has a bad thing to say about it which is a first for any Android phone I've encountered.

The one thing I'd recommend is to utilize the power settings (or create a widget). You will greatly increase your battery life if you turn off radios you aren't using. Turn off GPS when you don't need it, WiFi when you are not attached to an access point, and Bluetooth when you aren't using a Bluetooth accessory.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Scornelius
Suburban Princess
My last doctor didn't even make eye contact

I got an htc one around mothers day and ended up trading it for an s3 within about 2 days. I love it and would recommend it to anyone!
Scornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

Since you did some research of phone specs, i really dont think the functionality really matters much from hardware perspective. I think now it comes down to software. I can only speak for the iPhone as i dont own a android but have played with one. iPhones are just simplier and easy to use. I gave both my 60 years old parents to use and they find it very very simple to use. When it comes down to the android, i was helping out ppl who didnt know how to do this and that with their android, even i couldnt figure it out sometimes.

As far as i know, iPhone battery life is a lot better than S series, but i guess its a matter on what you do with it. Another thing is iPhones will limit you on how you want to customize the way your phone looks. however, you can jailbreak your iPhone and do as many things as an android...

So simply put imo, screen size, then tech users would pick S series, non-tech users would pick iPhones, or tech users would pick iPhone w/jailbreak.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

I prefer Android OS by a great margin. I've owned the first two iPhones and have played with the newer generations, but it doesn't come close to touching the experience an Android phone gives me.

I would get a Galaxy over an iPhone 10 times out of 10.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodTenor View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm due for an upgrade on my cell phone next month and I was looking into getting something other than another iPhone, I currently have the 4s. My wife recently purchased her first smart phone, the Galaxy s3, and as I got to play I go to thinking about making the switch from my iPhone. Before anyone asks, I've done research online so I know what the specs are and what it has to offer, Ive even talked to friends who have the Galaxy s3, but I wanted to hear from people I don't know. I wanted to hear what other people's thought are on the phone: Did you like it or dislike and why? Since I'm going to be switching from my iPhone, I would also love to hear from former iPhone users.
I have to say I love the phone. I learn something new all the time. So many features and easy to drive. My 75yo mother just got one.

Cons are not a fan of Google Play yet. I have yet to conquer the ins and outs of that system with regards to music. I was able to get my ITUNES songs on my playlist via KIES AIR that came with the phone from AT&T. Not sure what bloatware your carrier will give you.

I am always charging the phone. I do use the crude out of it though. I did FINALLY put it on "powersave" which helps.

I would LOVE a better camera that zooms in more.

I would also like a screen cover or something so you can see it in the daytime.

I did not buy the warranty and probably should have. My dd dropped hers and cracked her screen the other day (she does not have a case for it yet). We got it fixed for around 100 bucks. ICK.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

There are going to be a lot of arguments in this thread. There always is when you ask for advice between iPhone and Android. I personally love iPhones. I like how they integrate with all the other Apple products. I like how easy OSX is to use, it just works. Not saying that iPhone is better than android, just my preference. Where Android is not any better than iPhones. It all comes down to preferences.

What I would be worried with Android is the chance of getting Malware on your phone from an app. This is becoming a big issue with Androids. This is another reason I like iPhones. The Apple App Store is controlled a lot better than Android, so your chances of a malware app is very slim. I don't think Googles open app store is working too great
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post

Cons are not a fan of Google Play yet. I have yet to conquer the ins and outs of that system with regards to music. I was able to get my ITUNES songs on my playlist via KIES AIR that came with the phone from AT&T. Not sure what bloatware your carrier will give you.
I would recommend using Amazon to purchase and access your music on your phone. Amazon is far superior in my opinion to both iTunes and Play. You download the Amazon MP3 app, link the device to your account, and access everything you've bought or uploaded.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
I personally love iPhones. I like how they integrate with all the other Apple products. I like how easy OSX is to use, it just works. Not saying that iPhone is better than android, just my preference.
Ditto for my S3. It was great when I purchased a Samsung Note tablet a couple of months ago, and when I logged into it with my Google account... BOOM!!! it automatically downloaded the Android apps I had on my phone.

Quote:
What I would be worried with Android is the chance of getting Malware on your phone from an app. This is becoming a big issue with Androids. This is another reason I like iPhones. The Apple App Store is controlled a lot better than Android, so your chances of a malware app is very slim. I don't think Googles open app store is working too great
Apple's rigid control of their app stores is both a pro and a con, in my book. As for malware, I've had the S3 for about 6 months and had the Samsung Fascinate for 1 1/2 years before that have had zero Malware issues. Then same goes for my wife and two kids who have the same device history.

In the past I've used an iPod Touch as a portable WiFi device (still use it) and have familiarity with the "Apple experience"... and I don't think I'm missing anything with the S3. I also have had a number of iPhone users look at the size of my S3's screen... and sigh.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."

Last edited by Geoff_M; 06-18-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I would recommend using Amazon to purchase and access your music on your phone. Amazon is far superior in my opinion to both iTunes and Play. You download the Amazon MP3 app, link the device to your account, and access everything you've bought or uploaded.
I will certainly look it over. Always looking for something new.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
CapeCodTenor
Born on a small planet around Alpha Centauri and immigrated to Roswell, N.M. in 1947 with my parents.
Was a man last time I checked
I can fart with my back

Quote:
The Galaxy S3 is a great phone and I think you'll love it. I was deciding between that phone and the HTC One S this winter and went with the HTC only because I like their overlay better. My girlfriend has the S3 as do many people I know and no one has a bad thing to say about it which is a first for any Android phone I've encountered.

The one thing I'd recommend is to utilize the power settings (or create a widget). You will greatly increase your battery life if you turn off radios you aren't using. Turn off GPS when you don't need it, WiFi when you are not attached to an access point, and Bluetooth when you aren't using a Bluetooth accessory.
I've been told by some GS3 users that the battery life is pretty good in this phone, I guess it's because they turn things off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort View Post
Since you did some research of phone specs, i really dont think the functionality really matters much from hardware perspective. I think now it comes down to software. I can only speak for the iPhone as i dont own a android but have played with one. iPhones are just simplier and easy to use. I gave both my 60 years old parents to use and they find it very very simple to use. When it comes down to the android, i was helping out ppl who didnt know how to do this and that with their android, even i couldnt figure it out sometimes.

As far as i know, iPhone battery life is a lot better than S series, but i guess its a matter on what you do with it. Another thing is iPhones will limit you on how you want to customize the way your phone looks. however, you can jailbreak your iPhone and do as many things as an android...

So simply put imo, screen size, then tech users would pick S series, non-tech users would pick iPhones, or tech users would pick iPhone w/jailbreak.
Being able to customize the phone is one of the things that is drawing me to the phone. I like my iPhone, but I'm limited on what I can do with it in regards to making it look how I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I have to say I love the phone. I learn something new all the time. So many features and easy to drive. My 75yo mother just got one.

I am always charging the phone. I do use the crude out of it though. I did FINALLY put it on "powersave" which helps.

I would LOVE a better camera that zooms in more.

I would also like a screen cover or something so you can see it in the daytime.

I did not buy the warranty and probably should have. My dd dropped hers and cracked her screen the other day (she does not have a case for it yet). We got it fixed for around 100 bucks. ICK.
Google play and downloading music is a bit of a concern to me. I'm use to the way iTunes works, but I'm sure I'll get use to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkshel View Post
There are going to be a lot of arguments in this thread. There always is when you ask for advice between iPhone and Android. I personally love iPhones. I like how they integrate with all the other Apple products. I like how easy OSX is to use, it just works. Not saying that iPhone is better than android, just my preference. Where Android is not any better than iPhones. It all comes down to preferences.

This is something I've never thought of, but now that you mention it it is a bit of a concern for me. I know Kaspersky offers a mobile devise scan, so I think that'll be something I'll have to look into.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I agree with the bolded part 100%!! All you have to do is logon to your google account and everything is there, your apps, your pics, everything! its great! I have a samsung galaxy s2 and I LOVE IT. Best phone I ever had! I previously had an iphone and hated every minute of it. Im just not a fan at all. Im not sure how much longer i can wait to upgrade to the S4. i'll probably be getting it very soon!

I've also had ZERO issues with maleware. None at all. And i've had my Samsung for about 1.5 yrs now. No issues whatsoever. Its such an easy phone to use. I love the size of the screen, esp on the S3 & S4, as its slightly bigger than my S2. Transferring music from itunes is ridiculously easy. I highly recommend this phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
Ditto for my S3. It was great when I purchased a Samsung Note tablet a couple of months ago, and when I logged into it with my Google account... BOOM!!! it automatically downloaded the Android apps I had on my phone.

Apple's rigid control of their app stores is both a pro and a con, in my book. As for malware, I've had the S3 for about 6 months and had the Samsung Fascinate for 1 1/2 years before that have had zero Malware issues. Then same goes for my wife and two kids who have the same device history.

In the past I've used an iPod Touch as a portable WiFi device (still use it) and have familiarity with the "Apple experience"... and I don't think I'm missing anything with the S3. I also have had a number of iPhone users look at the size of my S3's screen... and sigh.
Interesting! Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check that out.
Quote:

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Geoff_M
DIS Veteran, DVC Member, "Cum Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodTenor View Post
I've been told by some GS3 users that the battery life is pretty good in this phone, I guess it's because they turn things off.
For comparison, after about 6 months of use, with "everything" turned on, I get two days use out of the battery... but I use it for data and messaging a lot more than talking.

"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... Out-a da crease... In-a da crease... Out-a da crease!!!!"

"Way, way back many centuries ago... Not long after the Bible began..."
Geoff_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_M View Post
For comparison, after about 6 months of use, with "everything" turned on, I get two days use out of the battery... but I use it for data and messaging a lot more than talking.
I am lucky to get 6hrs on the S3. I play games.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

My brother in-law has an iphone for work (boss got it for him) he has the Galaxy S4 for his personal use. He likes the S4 so much better then the iphone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: