Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Kogo Shuko
DIS Veteran

Making a trip Family/Group oriented

How do you make a trip family or group oriented?

Do you buy matching bags? Get together and plan everything beforehand as a group? Matching jewelery if it's a mother/daughter combo (even if daughter is older than 20), or a bunch of girlfriends going together?

It doesn't need to be Disney related, but I was wondering.

I love planning trips, and I usually go all out when I plan my trip to Florida. I have a friend in Florida who sees me as her "adopted" daughter, and I consider her my second mother. Last year I bought matching Hallowe'en jewelery as we were heading to Halloween Horror Nights at USO. We also bought matching Mickey ears when we were at MK.

We just love that feeling of it being more than just heading to the parks/on a cruise/horseback riding/etc.

I was just wondering what suggestions people had for all sorts of trips. I'll be heading to Niagara Falls this summer, and I'm already thinking of how to make it that much more special.

me (28): ~*~ J (32): ~*~ E (7): ~*~ Jax:
~*~ 1992-1993 – Offsite ~*~ 1995-1996 – Offsite ~*~ 2009 – Scotland ~*~ 2010 – Newfoundland ~*~ 2010-2011 – Offsite ~*~ October 2011 - Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Feb 2012 – Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Oct 2012 – Carnival Cruise/Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Sept 2013 - Sanibel/Vistana/Leesburg ~*~ April 2014 - Houston, Texas ~*~ August 2014 - Rochester, NY ~*~

Kogo Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

JMO, but to me making a trip family or group oriented has NOTHING to do with buying matching bags or wearing the same outfits/jewellery. It has EVERYTHING to do with planning activities that include the interests of every member of the group. I notice that you say YOU plan the trips. When we go as a group, everyone has input into the planning. Some of our best days have come from an idea that someone else has suggested. For us it's more about enjoying each other's company and what we are doing together than what we can buy.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogo Shuko View Post
How do you make a trip family or group oriented?

Do you buy matching bags? Get together and plan everything beforehand as a group? Matching jewelery if it's a mother/daughter combo (even if daughter is older than 20), or a bunch of girlfriends going together?

It doesn't need to be Disney related, but I was wondering.

I love planning trips, and I usually go all out when I plan my trip to Florida. I have a friend in Florida who sees me as her "adopted" daughter, and I consider her my second mother. Last year I bought matching Hallowe'en jewelery as we were heading to Halloween Horror Nights at USO. We also bought matching Mickey ears when we were at MK.

We just love that feeling of it being more than just heading to the parks/on a cruise/horseback riding/etc.

I was just wondering what suggestions people had for all sorts of trips. I'll be heading to Niagara Falls this summer, and I'm already thinking of how to make it that much more special.
My family is spread out all over the world but we're pretty close and try to all get together every few years. It honestly never occurred to me to get matchy match things for everyone. It just isn't our thing. I've seen some families have t-shirts for family reunions and that can be a fun keepsake but that's about as far as I'd push it.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Tinkermommy
Not too exciting but we all can't have a tipped uterus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
JMO, but to me making a trip family or group oriented has NOTHING to do with buying matching bags or wearing the same outfits/jewellery. It has EVERYTHING to do with planning activities that include the interests of every member of the group. I notice that you say YOU plan the trips. When we go as a group, everyone has input into the planning. Some of our best days have come from an idea that someone else has suggested. For us it's more about enjoying each other's company and what we are doing together than what we can buy.
Agree with all of this. I should be whatever makes the family/group have fun together.

But then I am not a "matchy" person.

Tinkermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Nope, not our style . We did try the matching t-shirts at MK when the kids were little. No one really loved it.

We take a lot of vacations together and with our extended families and other than that there's only been one other time we did something to show group solidarity. For my parent's 50th anniversary all their children and grandchildren spent three days at resort together. We planned one big fancy family meal during that time. I made pins that had a picture of my parents leaving the wedding chapel on their wedding day for all of us to wear to commemorate their anniversary.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

If it's more than one family (mom, dad, children), then matching shirts might be cool.

I would plan something for once a day group activity. Could just be meeting Mickey Mouse at the Magic Kingdom to having dinner somewhere together like Hoop de Doo Review. Probably more free things than paid for things.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Great advice.

When we travel with my dad, we're usually a group of 6 adults. So, each person gets to plan a day - the activity, the restaurants, etc. This way, no one's wishes are overlooked and everyone has equal input.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
Kogo Shuko
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
We take a lot of vacations together and with our extended families and other than that there's only been one other time we did something to show group solidarity. For my parent's 50th anniversary all their children and grandchildren spent three days at resort together. We planned one big fancy family meal during that time. I made pins that had a picture of my parents leaving the wedding chapel on their wedding day for all of us to wear to commemorate their anniversary.
I like this sort of idea. Making something special for a unique occasion. I love momentos like that.

Quote:
I may do the planning, but I ALWAYS ask for suggestions, personal favourite things to do, favourite foods, etc. Not EVERYONE is good at planning, and my friend has more than once said she'd be completely lost if she did not have someone else putting together the actual itinerary (she was referring to her husband, as well). I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with hearing suggestions and am always HAPPY to do these things with people. By planning, I did not mean I decided everything we did. By planning, I meant putting together the itinerary, so we won't forget to do something we said we wanted to do.

The last time I visited her, the majority of the ideas were my friend's. I simply put together a time table so that we would be able to do everything she wanted to do. And by putting together the time table, I consider that as planning.

I do admit I do a lot of the research, but that's simply because she won't. I throw a lot of suggestions her way, and come up with things she hasn't done in Florida even though she lives there. I'm helping her see the state she lives in while also doing some of her favourite things. But we only do the suggestions that she thinks are fun. A lot of my suggestions are free things, or budget friendly. I skip doing some of my favourite things (roller coasters, for instance), because I know she doesn't like them, and I don't want to force that on her.

But is it such a horrible thing to perhaps make something or buy something that makes a trip more than just doing stuff?! It's all good and fine to think of yourself as non-materialistic, and suggesting buying things isn't the way toward happiness, but every once in awhile, some people do appreciate material gifts. They don't need to be bought, or expensive. They can be just a little thing that you know the person would enjoy. Something you acquired for them, and them alone. I always bring gifts when I visit, and most of them aren't related to the activities (maple syrup, for instance, or dog toys for her fur babies).

I'm unsure if you were trying to be mean or not, but it really did come off very short and judgmental. But that's JMO. And here I thought I was doing so well in not offending people. I guess it was only a matter of time before I got my head bit off.

All that being said, I'm not asking if everyone buys something to make it special. I simply wanted to know what people did to make it more than just doing things. To make it more special than just a plane ticket and a hotel room number. Planning together isn't the only way to make a trip special. I was only giving examples.

Perhaps, if it's Disney related and you have children, instead of buying an autograph book, making one by hand with the children? Wouldn't that make a trip more oriented toward being special to every member of the group?

As an adult visiting another adult, I love sharing the duty of cooking/meal plans. I've introduced my friends to poutine, a Canadian dish, and they simply loved it. Not only does it introduce each person to the other's cooking styles, but it tends to help save money, as we don't go out to eat as often. It can also introduce you to new foods you would never have tried before, something I love doing.

What about a scavenger hunt for long road trips? They can be fun for both children and adults alike, keeping them paying attention to the world around them as well as talking amongst themselves, rather than burying their noses in movies, or games. I see something like this as a novelty, as I'm someone who generally travels alone (and on planes), and I think it would make the travelling portion of the trip that much more fun and part of the experience.

Sigh... shot down on my first attempt at a thread.

me (28): ~*~ J (32): ~*~ E (7): ~*~ Jax:
~*~ 1992-1993 – Offsite ~*~ 1995-1996 – Offsite ~*~ 2009 – Scotland ~*~ 2010 – Newfoundland ~*~ 2010-2011 – Offsite ~*~ October 2011 - Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Feb 2012 – Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Oct 2012 – Carnival Cruise/Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Sept 2013 - Sanibel/Vistana/Leesburg ~*~ April 2014 - Houston, Texas ~*~ August 2014 - Rochester, NY ~*~

Kogo Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

you do have some good ideas.

i like doing a countdown calender with a picture on the dates leading up to our trips.
everyone in the group gets involved with it.
some add pictures, some add a statement, etc.

when my boys were younger, we all wore the same color tops.
very easy to keep track of them as they loved to head out in different directions ............

i see families doing reunions at a park with labeled teeshirts.
they must have had fun creating them.

a few times i did meetups with about 8 others in orlando.
we all had different resorts but would meet up in the morning and be together all day long.

on the first day, we all would bring a postcard from the area we lived in.
postcard for each in the group.
each person would write something personal on it.
it has been a few years but i saved all of those cards and looking at them brings back fun memories.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Yes to everything you said. My family just had a reunion in the North Georgia mountains. This is the first time in almost 20 years that a 5 of us sibs and my mom have been together at the same time. We had 20 people ranging in age from 5yo to 80+. We have several with mobility issues, 4 with Aspergers, and 2 with breathing issues. I spearheaded the reunion but I couldn't have done all the planning myself, not with the age & abilities spread we have.

Instead of planning everything, I made a framework and gave everyone the opportunity to participate in whatever they wanted to. Each night a different family hosted dinner--not that they provided everything, but they planned it their way. We had Mexican night, King Kamehameha's birthday, Italian night, Cookout, Crab & chicken fry, and potluck.

Our activities were varied. Some of the teens and 20s went whitewater rafting. Some of the families went horseback riding. The little kids found some salamanders in the creek and caught lightning bugs in the evening. Those who weren't up to the active stuff did things like visiting a local apple farm and a special museum about mountain life. Each night we gathered around a campfire for lots of laughing & talking and s'mores. On Sat. night we all took a hayride through the mountains.

This was the best vacation I think I've ever had. We picked the right place and the right season. Everyone had some ownership in the reunion and everyone got along well. We got to know the children better and just enjoyed spending some precious time with our siblings and their spouses.

Oh, and we didn't have any matching bags, hats, or t-shirts. Don't need them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: