Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinezmom3
We are doing DxDP for our upcoming trip, with gird cards to pay for tax/tip/alcohol/extras, so that we don't have any debt to pay often our trip. We have 3DDs with 9 days of character meals and signature meals planned, and for us this way works. But, I do think that every once in a while you should try out something new and see how it suits you. Times change, people change, prices at Disney certainly change! You may do this and decide it was your best trip so far!! And if it's not, you know exactly what you can go back to!
On the DP you only pay tip and whatever isn't covered under your plan. Tax is included in the DP
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
martinezmom3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post

On the DP you only pay tip and whatever isn't covered under your plan. Tax is included in the DP
Just tax for our adult drinks
martinezmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
GetGlowing
DIS Veteran

Don't forget to factor in the Swan's resort fee and daily parking fee, plus any airport transportation fee if you don't have a car, because they don't participate in Magical Express. If you're doing a full-on comparison of savings you have to include those things.

I went this March and had the dining plan.
I went this May without a dining plan paying OOP.
I enjoyed my March trip a lot more from a food perspective. Even knowing that I had budgeted for food, the sticker shock was considerable. It's nice to have those credits and you just order what you want to eat. I did take a few desserts back to the fridge for breakfast and we brought home a bag full of snacks on the last day, but we got our money's worth on the plan (QSDP).

GetGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Bete
DIS Veteran

There may be another option.

Stay on Disney Property and do the regular dining plan, not the deluxe. The money you save from the deluxe plan can be used towards those appetizers and that glass of wine. It's like getting the best of both worlds. You will have to do one meal as counter service which may not be to your fancy. Take a look at the CS menus and see if you can do it.

You will be on Disney property this way and getting all the benefits like Magical Express.

We have stayed at the Swan and I'm just okay with the resort.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
scribega
Where's Perry??

Quote:
Originally Posted by need2travel View Post
I fell like we would like buying a Disney gift card and putting what would amount to the cost of the Dining Plan on that so there would be no OOP cost or big credit card bill after we got home and we would really like the freedom to order/eat wherever we want. It's just that "afraid of change" thing, I get very set in my ways

I just feel like there is a hole in this theory that I'm not seeing........
I think the hole might be cost or the thoughts of the cost.
If you are on the dining plan and you go to a restaurant the cost is the same no matter if you buy the $40 steak or the $17 salad. So you might lean at getting the steak. But if you do the gift cards then you are more apt to choose the $17 salad instead of the $40 steak to save money.

That is one reason we like the dining plan is so when I am on vacation that I don't have to think/stress about money especially during meals.
CBR - Oct. 2008
POP - Dec. 2009 - free dining
POP - March 2010 - quick biz trip
POP - Sept. 2010 - free dining
POP - Sept. 2011 - free dining
Disney Dream - Sept / POP - Sept. 2012 - free dining
-----
DISdad member #633
scribega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribega View Post
I think the hole might be cost or the thoughts of the cost.
If you are on the dining plan and you go to a restaurant the cost is the same no matter if you buy the $40 steak or the $17 salad. So you might lean at getting the steak. But if you do the gift cards then you are more apt to choose the $17 salad instead of the $40 steak to save money.

That is one reason we like the dining plan is so when I am on vacation that I don't have to think/stress about money especially during meals.
But this goes both ways...what if you're on the DDP and you REALLY want the salad? You've "paid" for the steak or more expensive entrees, and if you get the salad, you're losing money.

And, by the way, 90% of 1TS restaurants' steak entrees are UNDER $30, and nowhere near the $40 you propose.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
deb010305
Mouseketeer

We did the Gift Cards when we went in April. We actually bought $100 ones at BJ's Wholesale Club, which sells them at a slight discount. But instead of carrying around gift cards we charged to the room and stopped by the front desk and paid the charges with the gift cards. We also had some cash, as there is a hot dog stand on the Boardwalk that is a must for DH and DS, and it only takes cash.
deb010305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: