Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
tony609
"I've Gotta Show To Do"

Caribean resort newbie??

I just upgraded our fall trip to this resort from a value with free dining. I have been to Wdw many times but never stayed anywhere but a value. We love POP C!! Anyway were staying in a standard room and a friend who stayed before said it was horrible there.....,its to big, rooms to far from main building, you can't take yr own luggage etc etc. the bus system is complicated and crowded, the rooms aren't any bigger or nicer than a value... Blah Blah blah she went on. Can you help ease my new worries? I thought we would enjoy an upgrade for a change. Please tell me about this resort and help me think I made an awesome choice!
9/07,10/08,10/09,9/10,11/10,9/11,9/12, 5/13,5/13,9/13,5/14

DL-5/05, 5/12

COMING UP WDW-5/14, 9/14

FASTPASS+ THREAD
tony609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Julie711
DIS Veteran

We love this resort, been 4x. We love the Caribbean music, landscaping, beaches w/ hammocks. The resort is large but that's what appeals to us b/c your not on top of the other guests. The main pool area is great with 2 water slides & hot tubs, good food court & nice gift shop. Each village has its own private pool if you didn't want to walk to main area & each village also has its own laundry services. Bus system has always been fine, never waited long for a bus ( except park closing, but any resort is going to have some wait). We've stayed in different villages, even the one thats the futherest from the main area and still walked it in 6-8 min.
Have a good trip!

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

People are going to have different ideas about different resorts. Most of the Moderates (besides POFQ) have the multiple bus stops.

1. They are indeed bigger than the values rooms sizes. Pop Century is 260 sq ft, CBR is 340 sq ft.

2. The grounds are beautiful.

3. You can take your own bags to your room. I don't know where your friend got that information.

4. Each area has its own bus stop and it's own pool. The only reason why you would need to go to the main building is for the food court or the gift shop. The place you check in (customs house) is near the Barbados section.

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"

I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)

Last edited by kirrrby; 06-13-2013 at 08:38 PM.
kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
tony609
"I've Gotta Show To Do"

thank you all for the replies. Sounding better and better. Anymore?

DL-5/05, 5/12

COMING UP WDW-5/14, 9/14

FASTPASS+ THREAD
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony609 View Post
thank you all for the replies. Sounding better and better. Anymore?
When you do your reservation you can request a certain building in a certain group. Depending on the time you go, your request might be granted. If your desire is to be near Old Port Royale (the shops, food court, main pool) you can always pay for a Preferred room.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
WDWNerd
Earning My Ears

We stayed here in May & I was also nervous a/b this resort. I agree w/ all these replies. This resort seems to get a really bad rap from people, why is that? So, I was pleasantly surprised! I would stay there again for sure.
In my opinion, it feels so much more laid back than the other resorts. People really do have the "island feel" at this resort. You don't see people rushing around like crazies like they do at the Contemporary!!
Yes, it is big & spread out, but no worse than a value. Taking luggage was not an issue at all for us. The bus does stop at a few stops, but you've been to Disney, most bus routes have more than one stop!
You'll have 2 sinks, which for some reason, is a huge deal for our family of 4 on vacation!
Do consider it an upgrade if you've stayed at a value resort & enjoy your vacation!!
WDWNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
tony609
"I've Gotta Show To Do"

Feeling much better about my choices. I think my friend exaggerated a bit the things she didn't like. She also loves POP C!!

Anyone have any tips? What is the food court like?

DL-5/05, 5/12

COMING UP WDW-5/14, 9/14

FASTPASS+ THREAD
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWNerd View Post
We stayed here in May & I was also nervous a/b this resort. I agree w/ all these replies. This resort seems to get a really bad rap from people, why is that?
I think it is because it is the last moderate resort to be refurbished, minus the addition of the Pirate rooms. All the other ones have Queen sized beds.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
WDWNerd
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony609 View Post
What is the food court like?
I really liked the food court. It is the typical Disney food court food: Italian station, burger station, sandwiches to go, etc.

It felt smaller than the value resorts. Not in a negative way. It just felt more manageable. When I walk into a value resort food court w/ my kids, I feel extremely overwhelmed, but I didn't get that here. Again, it just felt less manic to me.

WDWNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

We returned from our 10th stay at the CBR less than two weeks ago. Obviously, we love the resort. I, honestly, think that the walking/size of the resort is not as bad as some make it out to be. I've used this scenario/example before and will again since it puts the size of the resort into perspective. There is a promenade that goes all the way around the resort. Each village is connected by the promenade. The walk around the entire promenade is 1.3 (or is it 1.4?) miles all the way around. Old Port Royale (the main pool, food court, concierge desk, arcade, store, etc.) is situated approximately in the middle of the promenade. So, even if you are in one of the furthest buildings (with the exception of the pirate rooms), your walk to Old Port Royale will not be more than, approximately, half of that 1.3 miles.

We have been in one of the furthest buildings in Barbados and our walk to OPR was about 7 minutes. From the other standard locations, the walks varied and were about 5 minutes at a leisurely pace.

As far as the rooms being the same as a value, nope, they are definitely larger just as the other poster said. The double beds aren't a make-it-or-break it for us. By the end of the day, any size bed would feel nice.

In the rooms, you'll find a fridge, bench with storage drawer, coffee maker, a a coat hook type shelf. In the bathroom/dressing area, there are two sinks which is convenient when you're getting ready to hit the parks and everybody is getting ready at once.

I really can't see how the bus system can be confusing. Each village has their own bus stop. Simply walk to it and wait for the bus you are wanting. Yes, the buses do stop in each resort village but it doesn't take long to make the loop around the resort and you're off!

The food court options are plentiful. There are various stations (just like at Pop) and they all offer something different. Our favorites are the baked ziti, the reuben sandwich, the soups, everything in the grab n go sections most especially the monkey cupcakes.

I am currently writing a trip report and will be posting pictures of the CBR soon. You're more than welcome to join in! Just click on the link in my signature.

If you have more CBR questions, feel free to post them. If one of us doesn't know an answer, the other surely will.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWNerd View Post
I really liked the food court. It is the typical Disney food court food: Italian station, burger station, sandwiches to go, etc.

It felt smaller than the value resorts. Not in a negative way. It just felt more manageable. When I walk into a value resort food court w/ my kids, I feel extremely overwhelmed, but I didn't get that here. Again, it just felt less manic to me.

I agree. The whole resort feels "less manic" and has a very relaxed feel to it.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony609
I just upgraded our fall trip to this resort from a value with free dining. I have been to Wdw many times but never stayed anywhere but a value. We love POP C!! Anyway were staying in a standard room and a friend who stayed before said it was horrible there.....,its to big, rooms to far from main building, you can't take yr own luggage etc etc. the bus system is complicated and crowded, the rooms aren't any bigger or nicer than a value... Blah Blah blah she went on. Can you help ease my new worries? I thought we would enjoy an upgrade for a change. Please tell me about this resort and help me think I made an awesome choice!
CBR tends to get bad reviews.....honestly I don't know why. We have stayed there 3 times (in both pirate rooms and a preffered king room) and we just adore the resort. The resort is beautiful and lush and has a laid back feeling (which is nice after a long day in the parks). Is it big...yes....is it so large it is unmanagable...no. The resort rooms are split into villages and each village has its own pool and bus stop. Old Port Royale is where the food court, shops and main pool are located. There is internal bus shuttle that circles the resort stopping at each bus stop so you have the option of walking or taking the bus to where you want to go. The parks buses circle the resort once stopping at each village bus stop before heading out to the park. Some people claim that it takes too long for the bus to go around the resort before heading out. Personally I thought it took less time than when we stayed at BLT and had to stop at another resort or two before going to a park. I love CBR and hope myself and other DISers have helped you hehe....have a wonderful trip!

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
boundfordisney
I think my finger prints are still on the grab bars to this day

I agree with pp s We love cbr and even when we have stayed at the poly, okw and yacht club we miss the cbr. Beautiful , peaceful, relaxing, the hammocks on the beach. great pool areas 2 hot tubs quiet pools never had any issues with housekeeping or buses, food court is very good. love the spagetti and meatballs! I like to try different resorts but I have a real hard time Not booking cbr. It beat out the poly and okw for me ,other then yacht club its my favorite place to stay. Any time I bring friends or family that have never been to disney this is the resort I book as I know they will love it just as much as we do and dont want to take a chance on booking a resort I havent been to , dont fix what aint broke as they say! cbr is great!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
goofygal71
Mouseketeer

We decided on a last minute trip for Free Dining...usually stay at Port Orleans Riverside...but no rooms available....so we decided to give Caribbean Beach a try. I've heard and read negative things...but I usually still give it a chance. After reading everyone's posts...it sounds like a resort me and my kids are going to love! The size thing isn't an issue for us...I have a preferred room. I'm used to the multiple bus stops after several times at POR. It is going to be a great trip!
goofygal71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #15
phayes93
Earning My Ears

CBR is our favorite moderate. Since it was the fursr WDW moderate resort, the rooms are larger than at other moderates. Also, ask for a corner room - they're even (slightly) larger. There are POC-themed rooms as well (Arrrr!).
phayes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: