Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Goseethemouse
Mouseketeer

Universal shuttle

We will be staying at a Universal hotel but plan on visiting Seaworld, Aquatica, and Discovery Cove. Does anyone have information about the shuttle times? Do they usually run prior to park opening?

Still trying to decide whether we will need a car for this part of the trip...
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Resorts board.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

They run close to opening. It would be cheaper to take a cab than have a car onsite for those short trips.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Goseethemouse
Mouseketeer

Thanks. We will actually have a car prior and after staying at RPR so the question is whether it would be better to drop it off and get a new reservation or hold on to it.

We are planning to visit Discovery Cove as well as Aquatica and Seaworld so the cab fares would add up I think. If the shuttle only goes once in the morning and back late in the day it won't work so well for us as we like to stay just 3 hours or so at a waterpark.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goseethemouse View Post
Thanks. We will actually have a car prior and after staying at RPR so the question is whether it would be better to drop it off and get a new reservation or hold on to it.

We are planning to visit Discovery Cove as well as Aquatica and Seaworld so the cab fares would add up I think. If the shuttle only goes once in the morning and back late in the day it won't work so well for us as we like to stay just 3 hours or so at a waterpark.
Just remember that the onsite hotels charge a pretty hefty parking fee. Plus you'd have to pay to park your car at any of those three parks.

The fees for the cabs would probably work out to be lower than these two charges put together.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
They run close to opening. It would be cheaper to take a cab than have a car onsite for those short trips.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Goseethemouse
Mouseketeer

I guess my problem is that we are booked for a one week stay at RPR. While I really enjoyed the hotel last time and loved the FOTL-pass, I don't think we will want to spend six/seven days at Universal parks. We definitely will visit Discovery Cove (one day) and probably Aquatica and Seaworld twice each (three more days).

When I booked I just assumed that there was a fairly regular shuttle - not constant like at WDW but several times a day (for example at 8am, 10am, 12pm and 3pm). Now I think that isn't true and the shuttle only runs once (say at 8) but I can't get any definite ideas about the shuttle schedule (emailed the hotel but they say they don't know either).

Of course I could take cabs but that will add up if we do it on 3 or 4 days, especially as we like to break up the day (for example go to Aquatica in the morning, take a break and do Seaworld in the afternoon). Also, I know it is silly but I have a hard time spending money once I am ON vacation (unfortunately I don't mind spending it before the vacation starts) which means even though I might plan on taking a cab I might then feel it is too expensive (and either not go on that day at all or spend hours on public transportation). I know that doesn't make sense but generally is what happens.

So right now I am trying to figure out whether we should stay 7 days at RPR as originally planned or just stay there 4 days (with a car) to tour Universal parks and then move on to a resort in the Seaworld area (preferably without parking/internet fees). If we stay close enough we wouldn't even have to drive to Seaworld/Aquatica there and so wouldn't have to pay for parking.

But it all depends on the shuttle. Does it really only go once a day?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

In busier times, the shuttle used to go twice a day. Once to get you there before opening and another time a few hours later. I'm not sure when you're going and not sure if you told them that at the hotel. Call the hotel and ask to be connected to concierge. They are the ones that book your seats, so they should know.

We found that when we stayed at Universal, even if we went to one of the other parks during the day, we ended up going back to one of the Universal parks at night.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Goseethemouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
In busier times, the shuttle used to go twice a day. Once to get you there before opening and another time a few hours later. I'm not sure when you're going and not sure if you told them that at the hotel. Call the hotel and ask to be connected to concierge. They are the ones that book your seats, so they should know.

We found that when we stayed at Universal, even if we went to one of the other parks during the day, we ended up going back to one of the Universal parks at night.
Yes, I told them exactly when we were coming (mid August) but they said they don't know at this time.

And yes, I think it quite likely that we would split our days Seaworld/Universal, Aquatica /Universal etc. But that means we would have to take a cab most days. It might be nice to have a car during the week (maybe to visit a mall or something) - I'll have to think it over a bit more.

Anyway, I very much appreciate your help!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
nemofans
DIS Veteran

We were planning on visiting Seaworld & Disc Cove as well during our USO stay. If the shuttle can get us there, then taking a cab ride back when we were ready to leave is fine. What time is the morning shuttle usually?

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: