Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
flamark
Mouseketeer

Surprising DW at POLY

For our upcoming September trip DW thinks it is just going to be her, I and our younger 3 kids because our older 2 have work, etc. I have, however, arranged for both older kids to join us for the first half of our stay.

My Plan A is for us to leave and have the older 2 leave right after us. Along the way we will stop and they will pass by us and be waiting in the hopefully connecting room when we get there. If I go with that plan, do you think that they will let them go inside the room before I get there to check in? each room is on its own reservation so perhaps they could even check in for that room.

OR

Plan B: they leave shortly after we do. long enough for us to get checked in and then they just come and knock on the door, thereby surprising her that way.

I know I haven't covered every aspect but which seems like the better plan to you guys?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I like plan B better, but have a B.2 just in case the room isn't ready yet.

Oh, and awwwww, that's really sweet of you.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
dfarner
I married my Prince Charming.

You're a great husband! Go with Plan B!

Me DH DD11 DD7

1992-2004 many offsite trips
2005-ASMo,ASMu,OKW 2006-SSR 2007-OKW 2008-POR and VWL 2009-Dolphin
2010-Grand Floridian~SugarLoaf
2011-Polynesian~GVCL
2013-Port Orleans Riverside, Beach Club~SVCL
dfarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
Traceylee
Earning My Ears

I like Plan B too.
But with Plan A; they could just wait in the lobby for you when you arrive if they couldn't check in.
Either way, this is an awesome plan!!
Enjoy and have a great vacation.
Traceylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Plan B only because there are(seems to be) too many things that could go wrong to spoil the surprise with A.
I'm a sucker for a good surprise!
Have a wonderful trip!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamark View Post
For our upcoming September trip DW thinks it is just going to be her, I and our younger 3 kids because our older 2 have work, etc. I have, however, arranged for both older kids to join us for the first half of our stay.

My Plan A is for us to leave and have the older 2 leave right after us. Along the way we will stop and they will pass by us and be waiting in the hopefully connecting room when we get there. If I go with that plan, do you think that they will let them go inside the room before I get there to check in? each room is on its own reservation so perhaps they could even check in for that room.

OR

Plan B: they leave shortly after we do. long enough for us to get checked in and then they just come and knock on the door, thereby surprising her that way.

I know I haven't covered every aspect but which seems like the better plan to you guys?
Very sweet.... another vote for plan B or as another pp mentioned, they could always surprise her in the lobby! Have a wonderful trip!

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Magic2000
DIS Veteran

We've done two surprises at Disney.

We surprised my youngest daughter, Allison, a few years ago. We stayed at the Beach Club for the first week, switched to CSR for the second week. After the first night at CSR, my DH was going to have to fly back home and Allison and I were staying. We spent the day at MK, and DH was getting texts from my other daughter Amy and her husband, as they were driving to Disney. We went back to the hotel for our mid day break, and then we texted Amy our room #. They came knock on the door and said "Housekeeping". We had Allison open the door and the look on her face when she saw her sister was priceless! She was so excited!!! We got to spend that week at CSR with them, and Allison LOVED going on all the rides with Amy (I don't do ToT, RnR, Mission Space, etc) It was a GREAT surprise!!

Last year, Allison and I drove to Disney and stayed at Pop Century. After the first five days, my DH was flying out to spend the next week there and drive back with us. He was using Magical Express to get to the hotel from the airport. He texted me that he had arrived, and was waiting on the bus. I gave him our room #. It took a while for him to get to the hotel, so I went down the hall to see if I could see him walking around. We were on the second floor by the big Baloo statue. Anyway, I look down and here he comes walking up - with my daughter Amy and my grand daughter Cady!!! I was SO EXCITED!!!! I had no idea that Amy and Cady were flying in with him!!!! It was the best surprise ever!!!!

His plan was to come knock on the door and when I opened it, Cady would be standing there. Either way, it was great!!!!!

I would vote for Plan B. Or, depending on what time yall are arriving, you could have them meet up with yall at a restaurant. They could be at the table waiting for yall! Have a great trip!!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Off topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic2000 View Post
Anyway, I look down and here he comes walking up - with my daughter Amy and my grand daughter Cady!!! I was SO EXCITED!!!! I had no idea that Amy and Cady were flying in with him!!!! It was the best surprise ever!!!!

His plan was to come knock on the door and when I opened it, Cady would be standing there. Either way, it was great!!!!!
You have a Cady in your family! So do I, my half-sister. Stepmom was in nursing school pre-reqs and taking a women's history course when she discovered that she was pregnant (she was 40, not even thinking of babies, and thought it was an early "change" until her fellow nursing pre-req students bought her an EPT, LOL). They were learning about Elizabeth Cady, and when they found out baby was a girl that seemed natural. Except my (oldest child and the only girl until Cady) middle name is Elizabeth. So they chose Cady.
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Magic2000
DIS Veteran

Her name is Cadence - and we call her Cady! She's two years old now, and just an absolute joy!! This will be her third trip to Disney!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

I recommend both. If both sets of people are driving, you may end up passing each other once or twice (how would your DW react if she thought she saw them in a car that just passed you? LOL!).

Anyway, if they get there first, put Plan A into action. If you get there first, Plan B it is. For Plan A, just do online check-in and call the resort to let them know the kids may be arriving early. If they are on the reservation and are adults, they can check in the whole group. If they are on their own reservation, then they certainly can check-in.

In the end, whether your DW sees them in the room, lobby, parking lot, or wherever, she won't know that it was according to the actual plan, so play it smooth and say it went exactly as intended!

Good luck!
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
flamark
Mouseketeer

Thanks all! Plan B does sound more foolproof now that you guys mention it.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

So Cool! Love a good surprise! Plan b!! Or you can always change up as need be. Have them hanging out in a hammock as you walk by, or at the pool, or the lobby. So manny options!! What a nice way to kick off the trip!

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: