Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Tiggr924
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

Coral Reef

We've read mixed reviews about Coral Reef and was wondering if anyone has eaten here recently. If so, what did you think? Would you recommend it? And what did you eat?

Thanks!

1986 ~ Hotel Plaza 1988,1991,1993 off-site 1995,1997 ~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort 2008, 2009, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggr924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
Fivesacharm
Mouseketeer

We did Coral Reef for the first time on our last trip and to be honest we weren't expecting much. It ended up being one of your favorite meals the entire week, everyone in our group loved the food! I had the glazed salmon and thought it was delicious!

Fivesacharm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Our Ratings of Coral Reef: (*Rev 01/05/2014*)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

Our Recommendations:
. . . appy's: Steamed Mussels, Crab Cakes
. . . entree: Grilled New York Strip Steak, Grilled Mahi-Mahi
. . . dessert:Baileys and Jack Daniel's Mousse

NOTE1: The Coral Reef is a nice respite from normal dining, as is the wall which is the
aquarium. One sees fish and sees divers tending to the fish and tank. Best views are
from the second seating level, not right up against the tank. For best dishes, try the
Mussels for an appy and the Mahi for the entrée. Other seafood are not good choices.
The non-fish selections, eg. rubber chicken, are run of the mill or worse. New York Strip
and Smashed Potatoes is always a good choice, Tell them to rest steaks before service
at the table. Service can be spotty - be prepared for slow waitresses. For those looking
for a quiet and romantic outing, this is a place to pass, the high noise level drowns
out most conversations.

NOTE2: As a side point, some people fear a "fishy smell". If the fish is fresh, cooked
properly, and the kitchen ventilated well, there is no fish-smell. I have yet to see or
experience such at Coral Reef.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

We ate there on Sunday and had a very good meal. Two in our party had the Mahi Mahi and raved about it. One had the Trout and he said it was very good. Older DD had the Shrimp and Lobster pasta and the order was huge so everyone had a few bites. I had the Lobster Bisque and the Grilled Octopus appetizer as my meal - both were very good. The Kalamata olives in the octopus dish were very strong which appeared to overpower the flavor of the octopus so I left them to the side. The Crab Dip was okay. Steamed Mussels were not on the menu or I would have ordered them.

Because the portions are quite large, we didn't have room for dessert. Service was good and very prompt with refills.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
boltfan
DIS Veteran

We went back in September of last year (as usual) and loved it (as usual). We're not a family of foodies, but we do like our seafood and we always make sure to make a reservation at Coral Reef. And we have a reservation for our November trip this year. We were lucky last time and got a booth facing the tank...great atmosphere for a relaxing dinner.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
brertoad
DIS Veteran

We tried it out while on the DDP out of curiosity and ended up really liking it.
I didn't have high expectations because it gets mixed reviews.

The food was great, we had the Lobster Mac and Cheese and the Mahi Mahi. For apps, we had the crab cakes and nori wrapped ahi tuna. We've tried the chocolate wave and mango chiffon cake for dessert.

The only negative about it that I could say, is that it's usually packed, and usually noisy...but many of the restaurants are, and it's Disney - that is pretty much expected at any of the non-signature places.

The view is lovely, the huge aquarium is really cool. It's great if you have enough people in your group to get a booth, they have a better view of the aquarium. Or if you are seated near the glass.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Altoqueenkelly
You gotta be original because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?

I visited once with family who had planned and paid for the trip... I do not eat seafood... it was miserable for me... they had a few non-sea options, but I didn't enjoy any of it. The atmosphere is okay but I thought it was sort of lacking unless you got a table up against the glass.

Countless Childhood trips to Ft. Wilderness*2003 Contemporary*2005 Port Orleans-Riverside*2009 Pop Century*2011 Pop Century*2014 AS-Sports
Altoqueenkelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: