Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
meggielove
2girlsandalab

reality of the pools on the Dream?

we will be cruising for the first time this spring on a 4 night on the Dream. my girls ( 10 & 13) are big swimmers and I think are planning on spending a lot of time in the pool. After reading a lot on here, I have tried to warn them the pools will be super crowded. any advice on when to use the pools and how crowded it really will be? thanks!
meggielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:57 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We haven't yet been in a pool on the Dream and have no plans to. They are not, from what I can see, a swimmer's pool. They are a stay in one spot and splash small thing of water. Even if they weren't crowded, they aren't for actual swimming.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #3
JoshAndEmmysMama74
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggielove View Post
we will be cruising for the first time this spring on a 4 night on the Dream. my girls ( 10 & 13) are big swimmers and I think are planning on spending a lot of time in the pool. After reading a lot on here, I have tried to warn them the pools will be super crowded. any advice on when to use the pools and how crowded it really will be? thanks!
We were on the Fantasy in Nov and the pools were crazy busy. My nine year old daughter loves to swim and she was really disappointed with the pools. We found the best time for us was about 9:00 pm-when the pools closed. We are night owls so this worked out well for us. She really liked riding the Aquaduck at that time too. She rarely had to wait in line that late at night.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
bryresangel
Earning My Ears

We were on the Dream and were SO disappointed in the pools. They are tiny and crowded. Evenings were bad, but also they are less crowded on port days. If you want to swim, my advice is to hit the beach!
bryresangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggielove View Post
There are pools?

Ok, in all seriousness they do get very crowded. Both of my kids are water bugs and my advice to them was to pass on the pool and wait for the beach. Best to set expectations now. Every time I walked by the pools were havens for 4-8yo kids with moderate to no parent supervision.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
pantoufle
Earning My Ears

The VERY best time to have the pools to yourself is the morning the boat is at Castaway Cay. We found that everyone goes to the beach in the morning (and the beaches gets super crowded) and then comes back after lunch. So, we go to the pool in the morning and hit the beach in the afternoon.
pantoufle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #7
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Definitely not a "swimming" pool. Even with no one else in it, you can't get a decent lap in there. If they want to get in and bob around for a bit, I suggest very early (I think the pool was open at 8) or during dinner and shows.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 AM   #8
Fsued123
DVC Member

We usually skip one dinner meal as the pools clear out pretty good close to first seating time. Almost empty pools, movie on the screen are good times....

Fsued123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
chudson98
Mouseketeer

We always have breakfast poolside and it is usually less crowded first thing in the morning. DS swims and DH and I enjoy breakfast!
Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
tweis
DIS Veteran

The pools on the Dream are definitely not for swimming. They are small and packed full of kids. If they want to swim, then I would wait for Castaway Cay or go to Atlantis or another beach in Nassau.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
The pools on the Dream are definitely not for swimming. They are small and packed full of kids. If they want to swim, then I would wait for Castaway Cay or go to Atlantis or another beach in Nassau.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Swim 1st thing in the morning. Do late dinner seating and swim after 4:30.
Just remember there are 4000 people on the ship. Even if 1/2 of them were at the pools it would be crazy. Just imagine 2000 people at the pools at the Yacht and Beach Hotel. It still would be crowded.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

Yikes! I'm glad I saw this thread. I was wondering the same thing about the pools on the Dream, because they DO look tiny.

So, are there any DCL ships that have pools that aren't as tiny or horribly crowded?
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

My three are big swimmers too. I let them swim for about 45 mins when we first boarded. Then one night my dh took the girls to a show and I took ds to the Mickey pool for about 30 mins. The pools are super crowded during the day. They are also really too small to do much swimming. Save your swimming for Castaway Cay!
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #15
Jammy93
Earning My Ears

We got the first port arrival time, came prepared with our swimsuits in hand and went straight to the pool. We were able to enjoy it for almost 2 hours before it got crowded. My kids were satisfied that they were able to enjoy it at least once during our cruise.
Jammy93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: