Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #61
disykat
DIS Veteran

Just an FYI - although dice are referred to as number generators along with many other kinds of number generators, in my experience the term "number cube" is used for cubes with actual numbers written on them rather than as a substitute for the "dice."

Depending on the game you are using them for, a six sided cube might have each of the numbers 1 - 3 twice, or it might have the numbers 3 - 9. It simply enables you to have more options than only using dice to play games. Typical math tool kids have tons of different kinds of number generators. Dice, number cubes, cards, spinners, etc.

Maybe some of you live in areas that are anti-gambling and it really is a big stink, but my opinion is people are probably making a big argument out of something that is simply a misunderstanding about the math games their kids are playing. People just love to jump on the "schools are evil" bandwagon.

One parent may be saying "how dare they force them to call dice number generators!" Another parent may be saying "they're teaching our kids to gamble!" And yet another parent might say "they were just playing a math game and a bully told my child that he was going to DIE!"

Last edited by disykat; 06-19-2013 at 08:32 PM.
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #62
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

I am SO sick of political correctness trying to destroy our children. I would encourage my kid to say "dice" if their school was doing this. They have a problem with it? Let them talk to me.

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"

JRawkSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #63
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawkSteady View Post
I am SO sick of political correctness trying to destroy our children. I would encourage my kid to say "dice" if their school was doing this. They have a problem with it? Let them talk to me.
Really? So, if somehow your child made it to adulthood never having encountered a die outside of school, and thus only knew the term "number cube", they'd be destroyed? Your kid is really that fragile?

No one here is talking about children not being able to use the words die or dice. They are talking about a teacher using other words as part of instruction. Some people are speculating that it might be due to feelings about gambling, but no one has provided evidence that that's true and the educators posting here have given other reasons.

There are lots of times when I use one word in the classroom, and yet kids use other words. I might cue them to try out the word I'm using, but I'd never have a "problem" with using another word.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #64
poohguys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeck

It would be called a die. They would be called dice.
I know. I just always think about them as more then one. I don't like the word die just like I don't like fishes and peoples even though they are grammatically correct.

Off Site '74
Husband too many times to remember starting in 1979
Poly '90
Dixie Landings '95
SOG '96 (honeymoon trip 15 wonderful days!)
Dixie (POR)'97
Dixie (POR) 2003 (First trip for our son)
Dixie (POR)Oct 2005
Dixie (POR) August 2006
Dixie (POR) August 2007
Dixie (POR) August 2012

poohguys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: