Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Bunnyteef
Bunnyteef

Talking Deluxe Resort advice for family of 5...HELP ME DECIDE!!

Our first trip to Disney was in 2012, and we stayed at the Value Music. Since it was our first experience, I didn't have much to compare it to but thought it was just fine. I thought it was great having a family suite, and I liked having the transportation taken care of...even though you did have to wait a bit sometimes. Our daughters for our next trip in 2014 will be 16, 14, and 9. At first I was going to book the AOA Nemo Suite...I really love having a separate room at night to wind down as I'm not the best sleeper in the world. BUT-I started looking at some of the deluxe resorts and I've decided that it might make sense to splurge and have a different Disney experience AND to have access to the monorail to save us time. Right now my heart is really feeling the Poly...but now I'm kind of feeling the Contemporary as well.

Pulling me towards the Poly:
1. Tonga Toast & Dole Whips (we are eaters! LOL)
2. Beach and Fireworks
3. Monorail
4. Stitch is one of the girl's favorite characters

Pulling me towards the Cont:
1. Location, location, location
2. I've read the beds are like clouds (can anyone verify?)
3. It's about a thousand dollars cheaper than the Poly
4. Did I mention the location already?

Please help me decide...do you think I should do the Beach Club instead???

All of your reviews are fabulous...but maybe you can help me with what would be best for a family of 5, 3 teen/ pre-tween-ish girls, and being only our 2nd trip ever. I would be ever so grateful!

Bunnyteef & Fam

Planning 2nd trip to Disney
Bunnyteef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at the Beach Club, Yacht Club, Grand Floridian and Polynesian.

Our #1 favorite is the BC - but they are all fantastic resorts.

Our favorite things about BC are:

Stormalong Bay - best pool on Disney property!
Walking and/or water taxi to both Epcot and DHS
Beaches and Cream Soda Shop
Super friendly cast members
Double sinks outside of bathroom (easier for everyone to get ready in the morning)

Our favorite things about the Poly are:

Watching fireworks from the beach
Relaxed Polynesian atmosphere
Bigger rooms
Monorail and/or boat to MK and TTC
'Ohana

You can't go wrong either way!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

My only question about Poly is "will the DVC construction at Poly be going on while you are there?" It would be a downer to pay to upgrade to deluxe & end up in a construction zone! If you want monorail & there is construction you may want CR then. My deluxe experience is just YC/BC & I love it there, but do not have kids. I would think your kids would love SAB & maybe the teenagers could go off on their own to Epcot or DHS Or the Boardwalk if you were comfortable with that.

11/2001- Honeymoon- CBR, 3/2011- BC, 2/2012- POP (Arrival Night)/YC, 5/2013- POP w/ Aunt, 10/2013-AMSU (Arrival Night)/BC/AKL (Bonus Departure Night!!), 12/2013- WL w/ Sister & Nephew
Angeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyteef View Post
Our first trip to Disney was in 2012, and we stayed at the Value Music. Since it was our first experience, I didn't have much to compare it to but thought it was just fine. I thought it was great having a family suite, and I liked having the transportation taken care of...even though you did have to wait a bit sometimes. Our daughters for our next trip in 2014 will be 16, 14, and 9. At first I was going to book the AOA Nemo Suite...I really love having a separate room at night to wind down as I'm not the best sleeper in the world. BUT-I started looking at some of the deluxe resorts and I've decided that it might make sense to splurge and have a different Disney experience AND to have access to the monorail to save us time. Right now my heart is really feeling the Poly...but now I'm kind of feeling the Contemporary as well.

2. Beach and Fireworks
3. Monorail

All of your reviews are fabulous...but maybe you can help me with what would be best for a family of 5, 3 teen/ pre-tween-ish girls, and being only our 2nd trip ever. I would be ever so grateful!
My choice would be the Poly. Out of the deluxe resorts, we've stayed at WL, AKL, BC, Poly, and GF and the Poly is our favorite for the following reasons:

- large, spacious rooms
- daybed in every room
- volcano pool is great as it backs up to the beach with a distant view of the castle
- tropical atmosphere is relaxing
- 2 monorail stops from MK
- 5-7 minute walk to TTC to catch the Epcot monorail
- Captain Cooks is great for quick CS meals
- Ohana & Kona are great TS restaurants
- the beach is great for relaxing in a hammock while watching the fireworks

I can't comment on the CR as we've never stayed there, but I do know the rooms are comparable in size to the Poly and all rooms come with a daybed.

The BC is a beautiful resort and while we had a great stay there, the rooms are quite a bit smaller than at the Poly & CR and not all rooms come with a daybed.

As far as comfortable beds, we've never had trouble sleeping in any of the beds at any resort, but the bed at the Poly was the most comfortable to me. Good luck deciding, although you really can't go wrong with any of them as they are all great resorts.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

This is a tough one because all of them are great resorts!

Yes, the beds at the CR are comfy! The rooms are large and modern. The location can't be beat. It's a really cool resort with a great atmosphere. I hate the sinks though. They are too shallow. It's seems like a stupid thing to comment on, until you use them lol. If you can, a tower MK view room is amazing!

The Poly is just as great! The resort is beautiful and relaxing. The pool and beach area are great too! The food options are some of the best.

Now if you want the Epcot resorts area then I would go with the BW. We prefer it over the YC/BC. Yes they are nice resorts, but we just like the BW better for the atmosphere and decor and the feel of being in the middle of all the excitement! Our family is in the minority because we don't care for the YC/BC pool.

Having said all that, if I were you what would I choose? The CR. But I would splurge for the tower MK view room.
Desnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

That's a hard one! We live the MK area ( even tho EP is our fave park) you can't beat the views, the location & the convenience of the monorail to MK & EP!

We love the Poly & GF but we have also stayed CR & are returning to CR in Sept b/c of the great price we got..

We plan in taking monorail over to Poky for tonga toast one morning for sure.. DH is sad about not staying at the Poly but I'm relieved to still be in the MK area!

We have stayed Poly, GF, CR & BC our least fave being BC only b/c of the horrible service we had & that resort really needs refurbishment especially on the concierge floor!!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

I think hands down your best choice would be Poly, assuming no construction. The location is absolutely awesome and the grounds are beautiful. Now that the rooms are being refurbed it should be in great shape for your trip. My 2nd recommendation would be Contemporary. It is also a comfortable and enjoyable resort. The best thing about it to me is the ability to walk back and forth to MK. I wouldn't recommend BC because you say you want to be on the monorail line. BC has a great location for Epcot and pretty good for HS, but it doesn't imo have the convenience of a monorail resort. I would change that opinion if Epcot happened to be your favorite park, or if you're really avid swimmers and would get a lot out of SAB at BC. I would also say it might be worth rethinking the Nemo suite. It is not a deluxe and you will have to bus it everywhere, but that extra bathroom and bedroom space can add a lot to your vacation enjoyment.

Hooked On The Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Minnie824
DIS Veteran

I would go for the Yacht Club....we've stayed at all the deluxe hotels at some point and we LOVE the Yacht Club. I picked this over BC because it has the full balconies. The pool is great, our DDs love it...the location is perfect. There's the Boardwalk Bakery you can walk to as well as a quick walk to Epcot for all the restaurants.
Minnie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
PamelaKay
DIS Veteran

Another vote for Poly

I have stayed at all the deluxe resorts except the contemporary. For a family of 5, I would definitely pick the Poly just for the room size. It truly has the most spacious rooms and then add in the convenience/variety of transportation options AND the dole whip machine in Captain Cooks and you just can't lose.

Mar 2010 - AKL CL May 2010 - GF CL Nov 2010 - Dec 2010 POFQ and Poly CL
Mar 2011 - BWI, June 2011 CBR one night and split stay between WL and BCOct 2011 - POR and WL
March 2012 WL CL Oct 2012 WL CL and Dec 2012 WL CL
Mar 2013 YC CL, June 2013 Poly CL, Oct 2013 Hard Rock CL BWI CL and
Dec 2013 GF CL
Mar 2014 WL, June 2014 CR CL, and Oct/Nov 2014 WL CL
PamelaKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #10
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
At first I was going to book the AOA Nemo Suite...I really love having a separate room at night to wind down as I'm not the best sleeper in the world.
Have you considered the villas over at BLT. It's connected to the Contemporary and has 1 and 2 bedroom options that may fit your needs. Those rooms have 2 bathrooms, washer and dryer and a full kitchen. There is also the cabins at Wilderness Lodge that is just a boat ride over to MK.

Either way you have some great options.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Bunnyteef
Bunnyteef

I am always amazed at how much people know about Disney! It's amazing! I really appreciatea all of the suggestions. I did fail to mention that we were planning for May 2014. I wonder if they've ever offered deluxe room discounts around that time. Does anyone know? Early May?

Bunnyteef & Fam

Planning 2nd trip to Disney
Bunnyteef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
sarah4770
DIS Veteran

go to mousesavers and look at historical discounts, that will give you an idea when the typical room discounts come out. Poly rooms are spacious if you can handle all that togetherness or also the contemporary garden wing rooms are spacious as well, both with daybeds. A cabin could work to... just not a deluxe, but plenty of space. I like the poly the best.
sarah4770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

I would do BLT 1 bedroom villa.

Quote:

2. Beach and Fireworks
3. Monorail

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #14
WisconsinDad
Mouseketeer

We just went through the same decision making process. We were originally booked for an AoA suite in Aug but when the RO discounts came out, we were able to book a CR-GW room for about the same price.

If being on the monorail is important and view doesn't matter much, I think the CR-GW is a good choice. These are actually the least expensive rooms you can get on the monorail.

I haven't stayed at the Poly but I've read mostly great reviews of it. It is just so much more expense than CR (unless you book a tower room in CR). If I had the choice of Poly or a CR tower room, I would personally choose Poly based on the reviews.
WisconsinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #15
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

We are a family of five...this may help you decide...

Beach Club, if your kids put the pool as a top consideration.

Poly, if they would prefer that Hawaii feel.

Contemporary, if MK is the favorite park..convenience is awesome, we oved walking to MK with no wait for anything.

Any which way.they will love it!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beach club, contemporary resort, polynesian resort

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: