Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #61
MOpGrad2013
DIS Veteran

She's beautiful! Congratulations!

As for the bathroom, while she is getting used to the environment, I'd say every couple of hours. When we've cared for other dogs, they sometimes won't go because they're nervous in the yard and then they come in and have an oops! I invested in a small package of puppy pads. In the first month, we only used 4 (and 2 of those collected mud!).

Lots of toys and cookies!

MOpGrad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #62
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

She looks like a sweetie! Congratulations!

Don't forget the books mentioned in post #26, especially Good Owners, Great Dogs.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #63
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
She looks like a sweetie! Congratulations!

Don't forget the books mentioned in post #26, especially Good Owners, Great Dogs.
just got this book in the mail today! Lots of reading to do, thank you!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #64
cepmom
Mine are painted too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I opened this thinking "I bet they didn't follow the 'rule'* that they're supposed to include pictures, so I was thrilled to see pictures of your beautiful new family member! As someone who has volunteered in rescue a little, I'm particularly delighted to see a black dog, because they are known to wait longer for homes. What a wonderful dog!

I know with my dog he can go many hours without peeing if I am not home. But if my son or I is home he's more active, following us place to place and playing with my son. More active means he drinks more, so he needs to go out more often. I'd say he goes out every 4 hours when we're home and awake, but does 12 hours overnight without difficulty. He wasn't a puppy when I got him though so I'd assume that maybe the ratio is the same but not the hours with a puppy? The other possibility is that she isn't peeing enough when she's out, so she's still got a 1/2 full bladder when she comes home. Maybe it's just a boy dog thing, but I know my dog holds back pee in case there's a better tree around the corner. If I don't walk him until he's just dribbling, then he'll be begging to go back out an hour later.

* it's possible that this is only a rule in my head, however I definitely think there should be a rule that you can't talk about new puppies without a picture.**

** I also acknowledge that this makes me a hypocrite because I have no idea how to post a picture.
I have just recently heard this somewhere else...I never knew this. Why is that do you think? I will admit when we first started looking we were drawn to golden, lighter colored dogs (like boxer lab mixes) but one puppy after another kept getting away from us. We actually had our name on one puppy's file and we were set to meet her as soon as she arrived in NE, but she got sick and passed before they transported her up north . We were pretty defeated after that, but kept looking and Ellie just seemed right for us...A little bit older but still puppy, already here in NE and not already spoken for. And she is just an absolute love

She vomited last night about 5 hours after teh vet appt and seems quiet and less active this morning than usual, I am thinking it's the vaccines and/or worm medicine she got yesterday. She didnt really want to eat much this morning either, I hope she starts to feel better. I feel like a first time mom, not knowing if she's ok or if I'm doing everything right...I think this is harder than having a new baby!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #65
JESW
We have 4 cats, 1 anole lizard, and 10, yes, 10 birds - 2 cockatiels and 8 parakeets, but still no partridge in a pear tree
It just craps me up!

Congratulations! What a sweetie. . Where did you end up getting her?

Still thinking about plans for 2015....
JESW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #66
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Congrats.

She looks like my guy over there in my avatar. We got ours at approx. 6 mos. too. I always brought mine out to potty as often as I could. My guy was sorta quiet the first few days until he totally made himself at home and his true personality came out.

Good luck with her.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #67
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post
I have just recently heard this somewhere else...I never knew this. Why is that do you think? I will admit when we first started looking we were drawn to golden, lighter colored dogs (like boxer lab mixes) but one puppy after another kept getting away from us. We actually had our name on one puppy's file and we were set to meet her as soon as she arrived in NE, but she got sick and passed before they transported her up north . We were pretty defeated after that, but kept looking and Ellie just seemed right for us...A little bit older but still puppy, already here in NE and not already spoken for. And she is just an absolute love

She vomited last night about 5 hours after teh vet appt and seems quiet and less active this morning than usual, I am thinking it's the vaccines and/or worm medicine she got yesterday. She didnt really want to eat much this morning either, I hope she starts to feel better. I feel like a first time mom, not knowing if she's ok or if I'm doing everything right...I think this is harder than having a new baby!
Does your vet take calls on the weekend? Since the dog is new - perhaps there is some new-environment stress going on. If Ellie isn't feeling better soon, i.e. in a couple of hours - I would try to check in with your vet. (Our vet recommends a day or two of rice and boiled chicken for upset stomachs.) One thing your vet may inquire about - is did your dog get into anything that is causing this, i.e. did they eat a toy, or perhaps an article of clothing. At least - your vet should be able to give you some idea of how long you should wait before having the dog seen if she isn't feeling better.

And congrats on your new dog...she is a cutie!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #68
Anri
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post

I have just recently heard this somewhere else...I never knew this. Why is that do you think? I will admit when we first started looking we were drawn to golden, lighter colored dogs (like boxer lab mixes) but one puppy after another kept getting away from us. :
First of all, congratulations on your new addition. She is adorable! To answer your question, or at least offer some theories: a lot of studies have suggested that black dogs are harder to adopt out because they are not as photogenic as lighter dogs, thus they are not as marketable. Another theory is simply social stigma, stories and movies often depict black dogs/cats as symbolizing evil or being connected to the devil. People tend to steer away from them because they've been conditioned to be afraid of them. Some people might steer away from them because they think the black fur shows more on light carpets and furniture. It could also be that some of the more popular family breeds just happen to be lighter colors. yellow labs and golden retrievers tend to be highly sought after family pets because they are great for young, active families, often allowing for other viable alternatives to be overlooked. Really it could be a combination of any of the above. Regardless of the reasoning, black dogs are often some of the last to be adopted and first to be euthanized.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #69
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Yeah another baby in a furrever home! Congrats, Ellie is beautiful.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #70
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

She's adorbale and already looks like she's made herself at home.
Thank you for rescuing her .

I love this saying: No adopting one dog won't change the world but it will certainly change the world for that one dog.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #71
cepmom
Mine are painted too

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESW View Post
Congratulations! What a sweetie. . Where did you end up getting her?
We went through North Star Lab Rescue, she was fostering in RI.

Ellie is doing well, still a little quiet, but has bursts of energy. Did well on 2 walks yesterday and was able to really run on the neighborhood ball field that is fenced in. I talked to the vet and need to get her another med for giardia hoping this takes care of her parasites and she starts feeling better soon! She had been treated for worms before she came up north but I guess it's not uncommon to have to do more than one treatment...
Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #72
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

She is a beautiful girl! Best of luck with her.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #73
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anri View Post
First of all, congratulations on your new addition. She is adorable! To answer your question, or at least offer some theories: a lot of studies have suggested that black dogs are harder to adopt out because they are not as photogenic as lighter dogs, thus they are not as marketable. Another theory is simply social stigma, stories and movies often depict black dogs/cats as symbolizing evil or being connected to the devil. People tend to steer away from them because they've been conditioned to be afraid of them. Some people might steer away from them because they think the black fur shows more on light carpets and furniture. It could also be that some of the more popular family breeds just happen to be lighter colors. yellow labs and golden retrievers tend to be highly sought after family pets because they are great for young, active families, often allowing for other viable alternatives to be overlooked. Really it could be a combination of any of the above. Regardless of the reasoning, black dogs are often some of the last to be adopted and first to be euthanized.
Our last dog, Minky, was a huge black Standard Poodle. We rescued him from a litter of 8 also-black male poodles. He was just a great dog. Great dog. But one thing that came up was that he was hard to see in the dark. As I have gotten older, my vision has changed. I can't tell you how many times I tripped over Minky, lying there like a lump of dirty laundry. I fell a few times and injured us both. One of the reasons we went looking for a light-colored dog this time was to mitigate the issue of actually seeing the dog at night. My little Bichon is so white, he nearly glows in the dark! I have NO trouble spotting him in low light.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #74
crjack
DIS Veteran

Congratulations! So happy the adoption worked out for you. My lab mix is also black and we found that getting him at 6 months worked out great.

Ellie is lucky to have been placed in such a nice home.

Wishing you all many years of happiness together.
crjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #75
Anri
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post

Our last dog, Minky, was a huge black Standard Poodle. We rescued him from a litter of 8 also-black male poodles. He was just a great dog. Great dog. But one thing that came up was that he was hard to see in the dark. As I have gotten older, my vision has changed. I can't tell you how many times I tripped over Minky, lying there like a lump of dirty laundry. I fell a few times and injured us both. One of the reasons we went looking for a light-colored dog this time was to mitigate the issue of actually seeing the dog at night. My little Bichon is so white, he nearly glows in the dark! I have NO trouble spotting him in low light.
Lol my current dog is all black and she's the same way. If she doesn't want to be seen, you won't see her. I call her my ninja Rottweiler. I can't tell you how many times I've been walking around at night and bumped right in to her while she was following me around.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: