Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #31
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorsha View Post
As far as car rides are concerned we just don't take him in the car. We are going to have to find a solution to the groomer issue soon; he really needs it. I have been looking around and have found a doggie salon who promises to deal well with high-needs dogs, so I think we will give them a try. Of course we have to GET him there...
Our Boy pants, drools and eventually pukes in the car. Couple of things our vet suggested:

Short car rides with a destination for a treat like Dairy Queen for a soft serve cone, Sonic for a milkshake, McDonald's for a cheeseburger hold the condiments. This is actually working, we can now do short jaunts without excessive drool and panting. The idea is to train them that car=treat.

When we have no choice but to go on a longer ride, he gets a dramamine 20 minutes before departure, this helps also.
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #32
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Our Boy pants, drools and eventually pukes in the car. Couple of things our vet suggested:

Short car rides with a destination for a treat like Dairy Queen for a soft serve cone, Sonic for a milkshake, McDonald's for a cheeseburger hold the condiments. This is actually working, we can now do short jaunts without excessive drool and panting. The idea is to train them that car=treat.

When we have no choice but to go on a longer ride, he gets a dramamine 20 minutes before departure, this helps also.
Come to think of it that is probably why our Girl was such a good car-rider. First of all when she was little it was DH and I (no kids yet) and she went everywhere with us. We got her as a tiny tiny puppy - just barely weaned, and as soon as she was into the puppy-chewing-everything phase we would stop at gas stations and get those nasty (for humans) beef jerky pieces - I don't even know if they make them anymore - they were circular and called "Bull Pucks". She LOVED them. They were 5 for a dollar and I swear she could count. I would give them her one at a time and she would always sit patiently staring at me until she had gotten all 5 even if I tried to pretend we were done at 4. She was incredibly smart. But she knew that car ride = beef jerky.

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #33
Lanshark
Peace be still
Congratulations on your flower bloomin thingy

We just adopted a Great Pyrenees from a rescue. Lexi is our third rescue dog. We adopted a golden that was a year and a half old. Max took about a year before he really felt comfortable. We adopted a Aussie/Lab mix as a puppy. She is now 8 years old and the best dog we've ever had. When our golden died about a year ago it was difficult on everyone.

About 2 months ago I called the Pyrenees rescue and inquired about a Pyr/Golden mix that they had. We had certain requirements. We have 3 cats and Sage who is about 50 pounds. We determined that the Pyr/Golden mix would not be great around the cats. He was aggressive. The rescue pointed us towards Lexi who is a 3 year old, a former puppy mill breeder female, who just had puppies and was undergoing heartworm treatments. They told us she was afraid of storms and of the dark. We visited her several times before we decided she was exactly what we were looking for.

I talked to two different people from the rescue and filled out a lengthy application. I also had to send pictures of my home and fenced yard. We were totally honest in what we were looking for and they matched us to the perfect dog for us. We did a lot of research on the breed and knew exactly what we were getting into. Our kids are grown and we wanted a BIG dog that was not aggressive and was house trained. We all adore her and she has adapted much faster than the Golden we rescued years ago.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Lanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #34
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanshark View Post
We just adopted a Great Pyrenees from a rescue. Lexi is our third rescue dog. We adopted a golden that was a year and a half old. Max took about a year before he really felt comfortable. We adopted a Aussie/Lab mix as a puppy. She is now 8 years old and the best dog we've ever had. When our golden died about a year ago it was difficult on everyone.

About 2 months ago I called the Pyrenees rescue and inquired about a Pyr/Golden mix that they had. We had certain requirements. We have 3 cats and Sage who is about 50 pounds. We determined that the Pyr/Golden mix would not be great around the cats. He was aggressive. The rescue pointed us towards Lexi who is a 3 year old, a former puppy mill breeder female, who just had puppies and was undergoing heartworm treatments. They told us she was afraid of storms and of the dark. We visited her several times before we decided she was exactly what we were looking for.

I talked to two different people from the rescue and filled out a lengthy application. I also had to send pictures of my home and fenced yard. We were totally honest in what we were looking for and they matched us to the perfect dog for us. We did a lot of research on the breed and knew exactly what we were getting into. Our kids are grown and we wanted a BIG dog that was not aggressive and was house trained. We all adore her and she has adapted much faster than the Golden we rescued years ago.
Pyr's are awesome but not a typical dog Ours is more cat like in his behavior. He will come when called, if he wants to. He will sit on command, if he wants to and there are times I can see the wheels in his head turning. He is deciding which one of us knows better. I love my big fluffy lazy marshmallow but circus dog who is trainable is not in his makeup and he reminds us of that often
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #35
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv

This is great info. I'll definitely try short car trips bc my puppy girl gets very very drooly and throws up every time we've had her in the car. These were 20 minute + trips however. My vet recommended benedryl at first- nope. Then dramamine- nope. Withhold food, then the meds- nope. Lastly he prescribed Cerenia and it worked great!
Sorry to highjack the thread guys!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
Anri
Mouseketeer

I would try to see if any of the rescues in your area host adoption events. I'm sure most of them will. This can be a great opportunity to actually meet the dogs first hand and see if you fall in love with one. You will also be able to meet the volunteers and owners for the rescue and talk to them and ask questions. I think it's great that you are looking a lot at dogs that are currently in foster care. A foster parent will be a lot more hands on and know a lot more about the dogs personality then a shelter will in a lot of cases. In going to an adoption event, there is a good chance that some of these foster dogs will be there as well.

I have a ten year old rottweiler that I got from a rescue this way, she was five when I adopted her. I had been looking for what seemed like ages for a dog and was getting very little response from people. One day I showed up at an adoption/microchip event that was being hosted by one of the banks uptown and there were a bunch of rescues that were there. I walked around and met a couple dogs and talked to people, got a few cards, etc. And then, there she was...just chilling in the grass looking at the sky. I walked over and said hi and she got up, climbed all 115 pounds of herself into my lap (I am quite petite, so this was a rather impressive feat), and leaned in for a hug. I started to cry and brought her home with me that day.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #37
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post
thanks to all of you for your advice and experiences.

To answer some of the questions, I do not work full time. I work very part time outside of the home. I have 3 daughters, ages 23, 15 and 13. The oldest is home on some days as well, as she works a rotating schedule. Looking for a lab/lab mix and we are familiar with labs. Yes, to fenced in yard, yes to daily exercising. I have mentioned in all the applications about going to training classes as well.

I understand why the rescues are asking many questions, the long applications and that they looking for good permanent homes; what I meant by "somewhat tedious" was inquiring about a particular dog, waiting to hear back, finding out that dog is pending adoption or already adopted, ask about another, wait a day or 2 to hear back, that dog is not available etc etc. It seems it would be less time consuming (on both ends) to just let a prospective pet adopter to know which dogs are currently available instead of the back and forth. Or to put "pending adoption" on the website so I know to keep looking you know?

since we are new and inexperienced dog owners, I was a little worried about getting an older dog that may have been abused or have some other behavior issues due to improper prior training (or lack of) and not having enough experience to know how to deal with that. I guess I was just feeling that a dog with abuse/anxiety issues might be better off with an experienced owner to help them adjust than newbies like us. Of course, I know that a puppy is no guarantee of perfect behaviors , and not all adults have come from an abusive situation.

we have not actually gone to a shelter to see the dogs. Mostly looking on petfinder.com, where most of the dogs we are interested in are currently in foster homes, so we can not go see them like as if they were in a shelter. One place will set up a meet and greet once the application process has been approved. I'm not sure about the other rescues yet, but I would think they would as well. I'm hoping we will hear back soon, but it's nice to be reminded that the people running the rescues are volunteers and have their own lives too!

I know it will come together! thanks again for all the information!
I would think that you should have no trouble finding a lab or lab mix dog. They are the most common dogs in shelters. I have seen whole purebred litters come into our local shelter. I know you said that you are familiar with labs, but there are labs and then there are LABS. Unfortunately, a lot of the labs that are produced by back yard breeders are VERY HYPER. Often they do not mellow out until after they are two. In this breed an older dog might be better. I do understand the attraction of a puppy. Just be aware that it will probably have an exorbitant amount of energy. Also, if you possibly can, do not get a puppy that has been taken from its mother prior to 8 weeks old. If taken earlier, it can cause other problems. I wish you the best of luck in finding the perfect dog for your family!
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post

Short car rides with a destination for a treat like Dairy Queen for a soft serve cone, Sonic for a milkshake, McDonald's for a cheeseburger hold the condiments.
This is exactly what we have done with two of ours who had "tummy issues" in cars. For the first one, all I had to do was drive thru McDonald's drive thru. And you know what? Hamburgers come out the window into your car!!! Gee, riding in the car is not so bad! Never had another problem again.

The second one we are still working on. He still gets anxious. He is not as driven by food as the first one was. Plus he is not a carb guy and does not want the bun . So it is a bit more of a project. But we keep working.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #39
crjack
DIS Veteran

OP, what state are you in? Many of us have adopted dogs through well run organizations and perhaps someone can provide you with some recommendations.

I am in MA and have an 11 yr old mix breed that we adopted when he was 6 months old. Best dog in the world and my children have grown up with him.

So many rescue groups bring dogs up here to the northeast because of the successful adoption programs.

The group we used did ask a lot of questions but it was to make sure we had the best fit for our family dynamics. Our dog wasn't abused ever but his mother gave birth to a litter down south and they eventually made their way up north through the shelter shuttles.

For us, size and breed didn't matter - we wanted a good tempered dog who could handle a busy active house and that's exactly what we got. He got a family who made a lifetime commitment to him so a perfect fit all around!

Best of luck. Our dog has been a wonderful addition to our family and I hope you have the same experience.
crjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #40
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjack View Post
OP, what state are you in? Many of us have adopted dogs through well run organizations and perhaps someone can provide you with some recommendations.

I am in MA and have an 11 yr old mix breed that we adopted when he was 6 months old. Best dog in the world and my children have grown up with him.

So many rescue groups bring dogs up here to the northeast because of the successful adoption programs.

The group we used did ask a lot of questions but it was to make sure we had the best fit for our family dynamics. Our dog wasn't abused ever but his mother gave birth to a litter down south and they eventually made their way up north through the shelter shuttles.

For us, size and breed didn't matter - we wanted a good tempered dog who could handle a busy active house and that's exactly what we got. He got a family who made a lifetime commitment to him so a perfect fit all around!

Best of luck. Our dog has been a wonderful addition to our family and I hope you have the same experience.
I'm in MA too, if you care to pass on the names of shelters/rescues that you had good expereinces with , I'd love to get that info. Thanks!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #41
JESW
We have 4 cats, 1 anole lizard, and 10, yes, 10 birds - 2 cockatiels and 8 parakeets, but still no partridge in a pear tree
It just craps me up!

Try Last Hope Rescue as they are based in MA and work with shelters in the South, especially Arkansas. There are always dogs coming up and they will work to find the right fit for your family. Plus, there are always events going on in the area with the dogs so you can meet them. You can also become an approved adopter which makes you able to foster, which is where I am out right now.

Jill

P.s. look for them on Facebook

Still thinking about plans for 2015....
JESW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #42
JESW
We have 4 cats, 1 anole lizard, and 10, yes, 10 birds - 2 cockatiels and 8 parakeets, but still no partridge in a pear tree
It just craps me up!

Also Forever Home in Medfield. I believe they have Open Houses on Mondays..? It is best to be approved ahead of time so if you find a good match you can take the dog home. It can be a pain in the beginning going through the application, references, home visit, etc., but it's not too bad.

There is also Dog Orphans in Douglas but I have never been there. Buddy Dog is in Sudbury but I haven't been there. There is another rescue in Sudbury but their name escapes me at the moment - we only went there once.

You will find a place you're comfortable with. Good luck.

Still thinking about plans for 2015....
JESW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #43
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESW View Post
Try Last Hope Rescue as they are based in MA and work with shelters in the South, especially Arkansas. There are always dogs coming up and they will work to find the right fit for your family. Plus, there are always events going on in the area with the dogs so you can meet them. You can also become an approved adopter which makes you able to foster, which is where I am out right now.

Jill

P.s. look for them on Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JESW View Post
Also Forever Home in Medfield. I believe they have Open Houses on Mondays..? It is best to be approved ahead of time so if you find a good match you can take the dog home. It can be a pain in the beginning going through the application, references, home visit, etc., but it's not too bad.

There is also Dog Orphans in Douglas but I have never been there. Buddy Dog is in Sudbury but I haven't been there. There is another rescue in Sudbury but their name escapes me at the moment - we only went there once.

You will find a place you're comfortable with. Good luck.
thank you, looking into both of them > my friend adopted both her dogs from Forever Home and also recommended them. They are having an open house on Monday that I am going to try and get to if I can. thanks!
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #44
crjack
DIS Veteran

Hi Cepmom,

We adopted from Save a Dog and had a great experience. They have a very informative website that I highly recommend reviewing.

We were able to get "pre-approved" to adopt and that made the process much easier.

They also hold adoption events as well but I think it was a combination of the particular volunteers who worked with us and the review of our lifestyle, etc that made it such a good match.

We original saw a very cute dog on their site that we were interested in but when we inquired they strongly discouraged it. The dog was fairly young but had lived with a senior in a very quiet house - putting her in our home with young active children would not have been a good fit. (She would have been perfect for my retired dad)

We met our dog in person at an adoption event but they had discussed him as a possibility prior to that. He was young and very, very social. He fit in with our family perfectly and continues to be a wonderful and very spoiled addition!

He is a lab mix that has a very friendly, childlike personality even at 11 years old. He is a medium size dog and that works well for us. Adopting him at 6 months was also good because he was young but already passed some of the puppy stages that I was happy to skip.

He spent time with a foster family after being neutered up here and they did a great job getting him started with some training, socialization, housebreaking, etc.

Best of luck. There are a lot of great groups here in MA. I know there are others that friends and family have used if you need some additional choices.
crjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #45
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Hey, lots of good advice here. We've adopted all of our dogs and one thing I've noticed nobody ever warned us about. Every dog we brought into our home spent the first maybe two weeks trying to run away. Put yourself in the doggie's shoes.... we rescued them, we were a nice place to be, they were grateful, I'm sure. But the only thing a dog ever wants is to be "home." Until they understood that we WERE their home (which is a tough thing to explain to a dog), they worked very hard to GO home, wherever that was. So we had to watch them carefully when they were outside or whenever we opened doors, etc.

Has anyone else had that experience? It seemed logical to me and it's just something to be careful of.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: