Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

? about taking statins. DIS doctors?

Now I'm really confused! I have 2 conflicting doctors' opinions. I've been taking Lipitor, and at my last appointment, I told my doctor I wanted to stop them just because I don't like needing prescription meds. Since my cholesterol is really borderline (low 200s), she agreed to let me stop for 3 months, we discussed diet, etc. and in 3 months I'll have my cholesterol checked. Then yesterday, I went to my cardiologist (jut a check-up) and I mentioned the trial stoppage. Well, he thinks statins are the best thing ever invented and thinks everyone should take them unless they have side effects, "to prolong life". I think he worships at the altar of Lipitor! He didn't understand why I'd ever stop taking such a wonderful drug unless I had problems with it. So-what do you think? Should I try discontinuing it or not?
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Now I'm really confused! I have 2 conflicting doctors' opinions. I've been taking Lipitor, and at my last appointment, I told my doctor I wanted to stop them just because I don't like needing prescription meds. Since my cholesterol is really borderline (low 200s), she agreed to let me stop for 3 months, we discussed diet, etc. and in 3 months I'll have my cholesterol checked. Then yesterday, I went to my cardiologist (jut a check-up) and I mentioned the trial stoppage. Well, he thinks statins are the best thing ever invented and thinks everyone should take them unless they have side effects, "to prolong life". I think he worships at the altar of Lipitor! He didn't understand why I'd ever stop taking such a wonderful drug unless I had problems with it. So-what do you think? Should I try discontinuing it or not?
Considering my dh just had a heart attack and a triple bypass in Dec., I would say statins are a good thing.

He had very high cholesterol and had very bad side effects from the meds, so he did not take them.

He goes to a "Lipid Center" to help with his meds now. They do more in depth bloodwork.

So bottom line, if you want to pursue exactly what is going on in your blood, you can get better testing. It is very interesting what is out there you don't know about. Granted he goes there and needs the testing due to his diagnosis of "metabolic syndrome".
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

I would not be taking them either. There is a lot of new research on cholesterol and statins, and from what I'm hearing, they aren't really a good idea for women unless it's a really serious problem.

Dr. Oz even did a show recently about statins, and he said women in particular should ask for the "particle size" test. I think this is the video:

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-oz...ol-controversy
Old 07-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Frantasmic
*crickets*
I just tell everyone I'm the CPIC for the day

Is your cholesterol reading of "low 200's" while you are on Lipitor?

If that is your reading on medication, what was it prior to medication?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
bdcp
DIS Veteran

My cholesterol is about 275, but my good cholesterol is high, putting my ratio at about 4.2. Supposedly under 5 is what is "acceptable". Dr didn't like the total number and put me on Crestor 5 mg. I have ZERO family history of heart attack/stroke. My blood pressure runs about 125/80 and while I'm carrying a few extra pounds, the cholesterol is really my only risk factor. I have seen too many links between statins and type 2 diabetes. Why would I want to risk diabetes which only increases my chance of a heart attack? My Dr. moved a few months ago and I haven't found a new one so I quit taking my Crestor since I wasn't being monitored. I was able to lower my cholesterol and ratio (from 4.7) over about 8 weeks by eating oatmeal every day and tuna once or twice a week,plus taking fish oil. Next Dr. I want to have them monitor me doing that. Dr's want everyone to take statins for more than just lowering cholesterol numbers. It's a huge moneymaker for the pharmaceutical industry and they push the benefits to Dr's so they'll push it on their patients. Fact is, plenty of people with low cholesterol have heart attacks and lots of people with high never do. High cholesterol is only ONE risk factor and doesn't mean you will ever have a heart attack. People taking statins also have heart attacks. Sorry, but I don't believe that statins are the one and only answer.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantasmic View Post
Is your cholesterol reading of "low 200's" while you are on Lipitor?

If that is your reading on medication, what was it prior to medication?
That reading was after 3 months off Lipitor last year. However, if I remember, my LDL was about 20 points higher than it should be (80 instead of below 60?)The LDL reading I can't find where I wrote that down.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

There is a current class action suit re: lipitor and diabetes. If you have been under control maybe your cardiologist would be okay with the prescription fish oil.

More and more negative information is coming out on Lipitor. I would be getting myself off if it were me.
Tinker'n'Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Bilberry
DIS Veteran

I'd say, if you are not experiencing side effects from the statin and wish to go back onto in the future, I don't imagine there is much wrong with taking.

Maybe an item to question is, are you within the risk group that statins benefit? I've seen writings with mentions that studies have found few are helped by statins. It is only a at high risk group that truly receive benefit from taking them. For example this was in the British Medical Journal the other week ~

"Doctor asks serious questions about the widespread use of statins"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/06/20/d...se-of-statins/

There are other preventive strategies that can be done to detect and avoid heart disease - which include having a CT scan done which will detect for coronary plaque, improved diet, testing for small LDL cholesterol (as mentioned in the Dr. Oz video), raising vitamin D3 levels above 50ng/ml, etc.

A web sight I enjoy learning from that has all kinds of helpful heart disease treatment tips is Dr. Davis's, who is a cardiologist that specializes in heart disease prevention.

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/
Bilberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

I'm on a very low dose of Lipitor (5mg). I'll be having blood work in the next few weeks to see how my level is. Like you, mine is in the low 200's. I eat primarily a plant based diet, don't eat sugar or processed grains. I exercise regularly and am now a little under weight. My elevated cholesterol is genetic. There really isn't anything I can do to lower it other than medication, trust me I've tried.

I have to say my cardiologist was much more aggressive in getting my number down than my gp. It's just the nature of what they see happen with uncontrolled cholesterol.

Oh, and on a side note I wouldn't take much stock in anything Dr. Oz has to say.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohforyou View Post
Oh, and on a side note I wouldn't take much stock in anything Dr. Oz has to say.
I was kinda thinking that too. It just seems to me that he's became the Jerry Springer of doctor's. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Minerva Mouse; 07-02-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: `
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: