Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
mom2boys
Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 switchbacks & 2500 vertical feet down and ALL that way back UP to the rim!
I always wondered why, of all the animals on earth, they would pick a hippo

Seasoned Empty-Nesters - what new activities did you undertake?

Now that both of my boys are in college, I can do anything I want all evening and weekend. The trouble is, I have to figure out what that is. I need to catch up on my Continuing Ed and of course, there is always cleaning to do. I am thinking of joining Toastamsters. I need some inspiration.
What activities/ hobbies did you pursue when you're kids left home?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
RitaE
DIS Veteran

My nest isn't completely empty but about a year ago I started going to one matinee movie a month on a Thursday or Friday by myself. You ever wonder who was at the movies at 11:30am on a Thursday? Retired people and Empty Nesters.

Sometimes I like to take my Kindle or my iPAD and I go to one of the coffee shops around the colleges and read and hang out and drink coffee and read the campus newspapers amongst the 20-somethings. My husband keeps telling me I should enroll in some classes, or you know -- go teach some classes -- but I'd rather have the atmosphere without the homework.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Not an empty nester just yet (college soph, HS senior, and an 8th grader) but my plans already are to get my own dog to train...since I will finally have time. My dd shows dogs so we have a lot of friends already at the shows. I just do not have the time personally to work with a dog yet. So I am waiting until we are done with all kids activities!
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Empty nester here. Youngest DS moved out permanently about 4 years ago and oldest DS about 7 years ago. We took up cruising and going to WDW without them. DH and I are just on our schedule, not a kid's anymore. We do miss them. Oldest DS lives about 30 miles away and youngest DS and DDIL live about 300 miles away.

The reality is, we can do whatever we want to.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Breezy_Carol
Who needs doors when you can use windows
Bugged by ticks
I had a dog that ate wood screws once

I got on a committee at church and then joined an intensive Bible study.

Breezy_Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

Jeez, it seems like I went from being an empty nester to being a caretaker for my elderly mother. She passed away in December and I've spent just about every weekend emptying the home she lived in for 50 years and now trying to get it ready to sell. Next spring, we start the same process with the cottage.

I'm looking forward to this winter and maybe being able to get some empty nester hobbies!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
superme80
DIS Veteran

My parents took up ballroom dancing. It was very cute!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

We were empty nesters for 10 months 4 years ago. About to be again starting next week for another 10 months as DD goes overseas to school.
No really big difference in our lives, it didn't add any free time, and with kids away at school, it had a huge impact on our disposable income..
Actually kind of crimped our style, because we didn't have a built in pet sitter if we wanted to go away for the weekend.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I've been an empty nester for 10 years. I turned my son's bedroom into a craft room. I took a couple of photography classes and bought a nice camera. I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis. I started traveling internationally.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Our DD is a sophomore in college right now. I have joined a bookclub, and do more crafting with some friends of mine.

I still work - and unfortunately that is just taking up too much of my disposable time.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Saphire
Loves to hear good news
I can't believe they pulled it off!!!

Location: Down By The River Charles...Boston, You're My Home!

After my youngest left for college I did a lot of soul searching/praying. I work part time, but felt I had extra time and energy to serve in some way. In the past five years, we have fostered ten foster babies. It has been a roller coaster, a challenge and a sacrifice. But it has never been dull. There have been countless rewards, and I have learned a lot about myself.

When a baby moves on to adoption or back to their bio home, we take a break. We travel, we have quiet dinners, we appreciate just the two of us. Not sure what the future holds, but the first five years of my empty nest have been very, very full.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Since we became empty nesters, I've taken to volunteering for the Ronald McDonald House and their Family Room at the hospital (relaxation/rest room/snack, etc.), DH has gotten into Wildlife photography, and we've both really amped up our birdwatching (now we even take bird-watching long distance trips).
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAmy View Post
Jeez, it seems like I went from being an empty nester to being a caretaker for my elderly mother. She passed away in December and I've spent just about every weekend emptying the home she lived in for 50 years and now trying to get it ready to sell. Next spring, we start the same process with the cottage.

I'm looking forward to this winter and maybe being able to get some empty nester hobbies!
That is what is happening to me. My youngest is a senior in HS and I was looking forward to finally having some time to get somethings done I have put off for over 30 years, but last year my mom got worse and I had to retire from my job to take over her dealings. I guess I may get somethings done at some point in my life!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Joined an animal rescue group as a volunteer and will be starting my doctorate degree in a few days!

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #15
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
That is what is happening to me. My youngest is a senior in HS and I was looking forward to finally having some time to get somethings done I have put off for over 30 years, but last year my mom got worse and I had to retire from my job to take over her dealings. I guess I may get somethings done at some point in my life!
I'm so sorry--it's really difficult, I know. The only good part was that I didn't have time to fret about dd leaving and being an empty nester.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: