Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
shawn2ca
Earning My Ears

Finagling the Meal Plan

Hi All,

In the fall, I'm going to the Parks with 5 other family members. Our first night, we are staying in standard rooms at OKW, and then we transfer into a Grand Villa. On our list of restaurants for the first couple days are Ohana and Boma so in total that equates to 12 table service meals we'd like to do before cooking in our villa. Rather than getting the deluxe dining plan for all six of us I was considering just getting it for four of us (2 each for two rooms, 0 for the third room).

Is this do-able? I know that technically, dining plans aren't transferrable but do they even check to see if everyone in your party is on the plan? What would have to happen is that for the first meal, all six people are paid for by maxing out the whole 3 meal allocation from two individuals. On the next day, the same thing would have to happen.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Shawn
shawn2ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

As Jiminy Cricket would say, Let your conscience be your guide.......I love Disney and I would never begin to tell someone if they could do something to get around the system.

You already said you know the credits are not transferable, so you answered your own question.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Everyone on the room reservation has to buy the same dining plan. Your KTTW card will be marked with how many adults and how many children are on the plan in that room. So it won't let you apply the DP credits for more adults at a meal than what is on the card, meaning that you can't use the dining plan for three adults at one meal if only two adults are on the plan.

Does that help?

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Won't work. If you have 4 adults on the dining plan you can only order 4 dining plan meals at a sitting.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

The dining plan isn't always the best bang for your buck, depending on what meals (B-L-D), which restaurants, and which entrees you order. In all honesty, other than the convenience of having it prepaid, the DDP isn't worth it for our family unless it's free. Just put that amount of $$ onto a gift card and consider it your "dining plan" money. You may find you don't spend it all.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Won't work. If you have 4 adults on the dining plan you can only order 4 dining plan meals at a sitting.
This. Your KTTK card will state that you are DVC members, which dining plan you have, and how many children and adults are in the room. If your card says deluxe dining plan with 4 adults in the room, then that is how many dining credits you can use at one sitting.

The servers check this. Every single time we tried to charge a meal to the dining plan last year, they verified the number of occupants versus the number of meals charged.

Look into the Tables in Wonderland card. We swear by it now.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
4under4
DIS Veteran

Tables in Wonderland will almost certainly save you more, even after you add in the cost of the card itself, especially if you wish to partake in adult beverages. As an added bonus, you can use it throughout your stay for TS, lounges, & even some QS locations. The only downside is that the SINGLE person purchasing the TIW card must be the one paying, which means that if your group splits up for some of your visit, it will only be helpful for the one holding the card.

Me & DH plus our gang: DS12 DS10 DD/DS8

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
ksmummee
Earning My Ears

I got married in January 2013 at Disney. We only had 4 adults in our room. The night before the wedding, we had a family dinner scheduled at Boma. There were about 20 of us. We had about 12 table services left. We had every intention of paying oop for everyone but ourselves. Our waiter told us he could use all of our remaining ddp table credits on the bill. We did not expect that, but it was great! So, I wouldn't go with the intention of messing with the system, but in some cases I guess it's allowed.
ksmummee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Moving to the Dining Plan board...
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Our waiter told us he could use all of our remaining ddp table credits on the bill.
I think you got pixie dusted! Which was a nice wedding gift, right?

Back in the olden days, you could use extra meal credits to pay for people outside your party - we had my parents visit us for a few days (they live in FL) and we had no problem paying for their TS meals with our credits. But that loophole has been closed for a while now. We have tried, and as others have said, they know how many people are in your party and you'll only be allowed to use that many credits.

You could probably come up with some way to "finagle" the system, but that would be cheating and won't be allowed to be posted here.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Agree. Have seen people try, even at Counter Service and be turned down. Right on the card it usually says something like "DDP A02" which would at a glance tell them you have the regular DDP for 2 Adults.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
GayeofPA
Hoping to Go

May I ask if you can do it the other way around?

2 of us have the dining plan; we go and order one meal and share and use 1 credit?

I suspect the answer is no?
January 1996-AllStarSports
May 2010--POP
GayeofPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayeofPA View Post
May I ask if you can do it the other way around?

2 of us have the dining plan; we go and order one meal and share and use 1 credit?

I suspect the answer is no?
That you can do. As long as it is not a buffet or a restaurant that serves food family-style (big platters of food brought to the table).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: