Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #46
darnheather
DIS Veteran
 
darnheather's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post
We were just at POR in April for 2 different stays and we didn't share buses with POFQ at all. If you get a preferred room at POR everything is super close.
Is this just during busy times? The Unofficial guide says they share a bus and several PP mentioned it too.
__________________
D13 and Izzy8 DisneyParis 2006, DisneySea 2010, DisneyWorld 2013

No trips planned for now but fingers crossed for DCL in 2015.
darnheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #47
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom
 
Eeyore's My Favorite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,903

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
Is this just during busy times? The Unofficial guide says they share a bus and several PP mentioned it too.
April wasn't that busy & each time we left a park & we hit them all, POR had a dedicated bus no matter what time of day. One night we missed the POR bus so we hopped on the POFQ bus & got off there to look around the resort & then caught the boat from POFQ to POR. Loved doing that.
__________________
Me : & DH :


Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #48
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran
 
MinnesotaMouseketeers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Stillwater, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 2,009

Go with your first instincts and stay at POFQ. We have stayed at both and enjoyed them both. FQ is definitely easier to get around and I love the theme. The pool area is geared more for smaller children (in my opinion), if the pool is an important part of choosing a resort. On our first stay in PO we were in the FQ and my son was only seven. Our last stay was a year and a half ago and he was 20 and the serpent slide just isn't the same for him any more.

POR is very easy to get to; boat, bus, or a short easy walk which is how we always traveled between the two resort. They are sister resorts so you can partake in everything that Riverside has to offer including the pool.

If you can swing it my wife and I did the evening horse drawn carriage ride at Riverside. We really enjoyed it and the lady CM was very fun to talk to while making our way through Alligator Bayou. We were in the Mansion section and we didn't walk over to AB so it was nice to see that section of the resort.
__________________
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #49
KristenRB
Mouseketeer
 
KristenRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pensacola Florida
Posts: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMouseketeers View Post
Go with your first instincts and stay at POFQ. We have stayed at both and enjoyed them both. FQ is definitely easier to get around and I love the theme. The pool area is geared more for smaller children (in my opinion), if the pool is an important part of choosing a resort. On our first stay in PO we were in the FQ and my son was only seven. Our last stay was a year and a half ago and he was 20 and the serpent slide just isn't the same for him any more.

POR is very easy to get to; boat, bus, or a short easy walk which is how we always traveled between the two resort. They are sister resorts so you can partake in everything that Riverside has to offer including the pool.

If you can swing it my wife and I did the evening horse drawn carriage ride at Riverside. We really enjoyed it and the lady CM was very fun to talk to while making our way through Alligator Bayou. We were in the Mansion section and we didn't walk over to AB so it was nice to see that section of the resort.
Oh that sounds fantastic! A carriage rode through Alligator Bayou?! This is speaking to my Louisiana roots big time! Thanks for suggesting that we would love it.

Pool isn't so much a deal breaker, I live on the beach so I have my fair share of water time

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
May 9-13 2013
September 20-25 2013
May 4-9 2014
September 29-October 5 2014


Me DBF
KristenRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #50
Laura's Dad
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: McDonough, Georgia, USA
Posts: 1,195

We have stayed at both resorts multiple times (we are just PO type people) and loved both of them. Looking to go back next year in the fall. It is still hard for us to figure our which is better. The best room we ever had was in the Magnolia Terrace section of the PO-Riverside mansions. We could look out on the gazebo and gardens from our room. We go to see Bob's show at the River Roost (PO+R) wherever we stay in Orlando. We would like to have seen Elliott Dyson's show at PO-FQ and we hope that they will hire him back after the PO-FQ lobby renovation. Bob was let go after 9/11 forthe same reason and an e-mail campaign that we participated in got him back. I understand that discounts are easier at the Riverside lately, but either place is magical.
Laura's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #51
Tink51196
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 12

Just returned from our June 7-14 trip at French Quarters. My first choice had been CBR since we stayed there for our honeymoon 17 years ago. But traveling with a 16 and 15 year old we opted for the refurb/queen beds.

What I liked about FQ was our room location. We stayed in Bldg 6, 3rd floor. Our room was facing the courtyard where they show the 9pm nightly movies. We were only in our room once when the movies played and the sound didn't bother us. What I liked about Bldg 6 and 5 facing this courtyard is that our rooms weren't facing another building very close. Like another poster mentioned some of the buildings seem to be so close to another building with only a narrow street in front. I also felt that the trees in front of our "balcony" were not right on top of us. I also liked that bldgs. 4,5,6,7 were on the closest side to the route to Riverside.

I will agree that I wasn't thrilled about the FQ food court and deeply missed the table service dining that FQ had during our honeymoon. But, the bus stop was great. The only times I was annoyed with bus service was on one return from Downtown Disney. Shared and so crowded. And another shared time when we were returning late at night and the driver made all four stops at Riverside before French Quarters. What was worse was that no one got off (or on) at the Riverside stops. I think the drivers should give a quick shoutout asking "anyone for FQ..anyone for Riverside". Other than that, it was so convenient to get to the bus stop from Bldg 6 and so convenient when we got back from the bus, went to our room, then to the food court for a late night hot chocolate or ice cream. After 6 days of continuous walking in the parks, it was nice to have everything so close at FQ. And we could choose to take lengthier walks to Riverside or around all of FQ if we wanted.

I would have loved to have a more private, quiet pool at FQ, although I found the deep section to have less little kids--they were all by the slides. Riverside main pool was very crowded too .. so if quiet pools are important Riverside wins on that. Although you could use any of the Riverside pools too.

We didn't like Boatwrights at Riverside. Too pricey for me and well, I just like a well-rounded menu that offers things like grilled chicken sandwiches or good burgers. I felt like a real cheapskate when we dined here. Afterwards I cancelled the rest of my reservations at Boatwrights and we all enjoyed the restaurants at DTD, like House of Blues and especially quick service at Earl of Sandwhich.

A great source for pictures and building locations is the site portorleans.org
Tink51196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #52
KristenRB
Mouseketeer
 
KristenRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pensacola Florida
Posts: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink51196 View Post
Just returned from our June 7-14 trip at French Quarters. My first choice had been CBR since we stayed there for our honeymoon 17 years ago. But traveling with a 16 and 15 year old we opted for the refurb/queen beds.

What I liked about FQ was our room location. We stayed in Bldg 6, 3rd floor. Our room was facing the courtyard where they show the 9pm nightly movies. We were only in our room once when the movies played and the sound didn't bother us. What I liked about Bldg 6 and 5 facing this courtyard is that our rooms weren't facing another building very close. Like another poster mentioned some of the buildings seem to be so close to another building with only a narrow street in front. I also felt that the trees in front of our "balcony" were not right on top of us. I also liked that bldgs. 4,5,6,7 were on the closest side to the route to Riverside.

I will agree that I wasn't thrilled about the FQ food court and deeply missed the table service dining that FQ had during our honeymoon. But, the bus stop was great. The only times I was annoyed with bus service was on one return from Downtown Disney. Shared and so crowded. And another shared time when we were returning late at night and the driver made all four stops at Riverside before French Quarters. What was worse was that no one got off (or on) at the Riverside stops. I think the drivers should give a quick shoutout asking "anyone for FQ..anyone for Riverside". Other than that, it was so convenient to get to the bus stop from Bldg 6 and so convenient when we got back from the bus, went to our room, then to the food court for a late night hot chocolate or ice cream. After 6 days of continuous walking in the parks, it was nice to have everything so close at FQ. And we could choose to take lengthier walks to Riverside or around all of FQ if we wanted.

I would have loved to have a more private, quiet pool at FQ, although I found the deep section to have less little kids--they were all by the slides. Riverside main pool was very crowded too .. so if quiet pools are important Riverside wins on that. Although you could use any of the Riverside pools too.

We didn't like Boatwrights at Riverside. Too pricey for me and well, I just like a well-rounded menu that offers things like grilled chicken sandwiches or good burgers. I felt like a real cheapskate when we dined here. Afterwards I cancelled the rest of my reservations at Boatwrights and we all enjoyed the restaurants at DTD, like House of Blues and especially quick service at Earl of Sandwhich.

A great source for pictures and building locations is the site portorleans.org
Thanks so much for sharing! Sounds like y'all really had a great time and enjoyed your stay at POFQ. I'm def staying at FQ for this visit, and thanks so much for adding in preferred room numbers and buildings. For some reason that had neer even crossed my mind for this reservation :/

I know I'll be happy with my decision! But reading everyone's helpful hints and experiences really helped me make the right choice for me and my DBF.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
May 9-13 2013
September 20-25 2013
May 4-9 2014
September 29-October 5 2014


Me DBF
KristenRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.