Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #31
honeybunches
That sounds like a cat poster, but it's true

We stayed at POR last trip and I didn't like it. The room was beautiful and it was definitely quiet. We were in a building far from the main part, which meant we rarely filled our mugs. We only went swimming once because the kids didn't want to "walk all that way." We were rather close to a bus stop, though, which was convenient. We just prefer being closer to the main entrance, I guess. This time we booked POFQ and it sounds like it will be ideal for our family's needs.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 AM   #32
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

We like both resorts, but for us POR edges out POFQ because the extra amenities are located there like Bike and boat rentals. We enjoy walking around the resort and even if you are at the back of the resort it is a measly 10 minute walk to the FC area, our DD's enjoy walking over the bridge and seeing the river. I would disagree with a couple of PP who said that the food courts are similar, with POR having a create-your-own omelet station for breakfast and then create-your-own pasta for lunch and dinner is much better choices then POFQ. So if you do stay at POFQ, make sure to try POR FC Both resorts are really nice, so you cannot go wrong.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #33
aml3679
Kita's Mom

A co-worker suggested POFQ because of it's compact size. We originally booked and then watched You Tube videos and switched to POR. After a few other changes, we are back at POFQ. It sounds like we would be happy at either. At POR we prefer the look of AB over the mansions but read about lack of storage space because of the trundle bed. I like to unpack and we are there for 13 days.

This will be our first time staying on site and we have not been to WDW in 10 years. We plan on spending a lot of time at Downtown Disney and love the idea of taking the boat. We also decided not to rent a car because of having the boat or the bus transportation.

Question: we would like to visit a lot of the resorts to look at the Christmas decorations - how easy is it to get to them? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #34
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml3679 View Post
Question: we would like to visit a lot of the resorts to look at the Christmas decorations - how easy is it to get to them? Thanks.
There is no transportation from POFQ to any of the other resorts so it will take a stop off at a park or DTD first. One thing we will do is go to MK for the day, then do the monorail loop and have dinner at one of the resorts. Or go to AK for the day, take a bus to one of the Epcot resorts for dinner then walk to Epcot for the evening. At the end of the night take the bus back to our resort.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #35
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
A co-worker suggested POFQ because of it's compact size. We originally booked and then watched You Tube videos and switched to POR. After a few other changes, we are back at POFQ. It sounds like we would be happy at either. At POR we prefer the look of AB over the mansions but read about lack of storage space because of the trundle bed. I like to unpack and we are there for 13 days..
Have you checked out www.portorleans..org? The rooms at POR have been refurbished with queen beds and the rooms in Alligator Bayou have Murphy beds not trundles any more. We found that the rooms had plenty of storage & with the quiet pools right by the room it was a perfect fit for us. We took a carriage ride around POFQ & found it to be a bit too compact for us & we didn't like the look when we walked around the resort one night. But that's just our opinion.

We were just there in April for 2 different trips & are planning another one for October. We always stay in the preferred section but may try the mansions next trip.

Have a great vacation.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #36
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunches View Post
We stayed at POR last trip and I didn't like it. The room was beautiful and it was definitely quiet. We were in a building far from the main part, which meant we rarely filled our mugs. We only went swimming once because the kids didn't want to "walk all that way." We were rather close to a bus stop, though, which was convenient. We just prefer being closer to the main entrance, I guess. This time we booked POFQ and it sounds like it will be ideal for our family's needs.
And this is exactly why we are staying at FQ! I know, I know...there's walking to be expected while at Disney. And that's fine, in the parks. However, when I get back to my room I love to be able to walk a short distance from the bus drop off/pick up to my room, and to the food court to fill my mug, etc. Thanks for your input I'm sure POR is beautiful, but for this particular quick trip (only four days) at Christmas, I think that FQ is just what we are looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
September 29-October 5 2014

Me DBF
KristenRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #37
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
A co-worker suggested POFQ because of it's compact size. We originally booked and then watched You Tube videos and switched to POR. After a few other changes, we are back at POFQ. It sounds like we would be happy at either. At POR we prefer the look of AB over the mansions but read about lack of storage space because of the trundle bed. I like to unpack and we are there for 13 days.

This will be our first time staying on site and we have not been to WDW in 10 years. We plan on spending a lot of time at Downtown Disney and love the idea of taking the boat. We also decided not to rent a car because of having the boat or the bus transportation.

Yeah, we finally decided on FQ for this particular trip. I'd love to try them all one day! We are staying our first time on property in September at Wilderness Lodge, and are looking forward to the convenience for sure.

If you are wanting to visit the resorts, I'm sure boats, ferrys and monorails could get you to pretty much any of them. However, I am no expert! I've just seen a lot of them, had to stop off at several using the transportation services! We are def going to tour Grand Floridian and go back to see decorations at WL when we go for Christmas! It will be beautiful! Enjoy your trip

Me DBF
Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #38
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post

There is no transportation from POFQ to any of the other resorts so it will take a stop off at a park or DTD first. One thing we will do is go to MK for the day, then do the monorail loop and have dinner at one of the resorts. Or go to AK for the day, take a bus to one of the Epcot resorts for dinner then walk to Epcot for the evening. At the end of the night take the bus back to our resort.
Good to know! Thanks for sharing

Me DBF
Old 06-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #39
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

My favorite resort in all Disney is French Quarter. Beautiful, small and with good bus service.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #40
canyoncam
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I went in May to visit the resorts without any park passes and was able to get to all of them via bus, monorail or boat. You do not have to go to DTD just another park to catch transportation. I stayed at ASMu caught bus to MK than rode monorail to all monorail resorts. Caught bus to HS to see Epcot resorts. Caught bus to Epcot then one to POR to see all DTD resorts. You can figure out what works for you.

Sorry meant to quote those that said you HAD to transfer at DTD.
canyoncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:57 PM   #41
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBC80 View Post
My favorite resort in all Disney is French Quarter. Beautiful, small and with good bus service.
French Quarter hands down... Love the beignets
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #42
kmb584
DIS Veteran

POFQ! It's my absolute favorite Mod and everyone that I have recommended it to have loved it!

The resort is quaint with great themeing, the grounds are beautiful and all of the on-site ammenities (Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory, Jackson Sqaure giftshop, Alligator Pool, etc) are all within a 5 minute or less walk. We never waited longer than 5-10 minutes for a bus and the huge bonus for me was that POFQ picked up before heading over to POR. As a single mom it was nice to have a seat considering that I also had a toddler, her stroller, her diaper bag and my purse. I cannot imagine what would have happened had I had to stand!

POR is just a quick boatride or walk away and since POFQ is its sister resort you are also entitled to use the amenities over there. Every night after we returned from the parks my (then) 15-month-old would say, "Mama, boat! I go see horsies?" so that was how we spent our evenings.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #43
tinkerbella16
DIS Veteran

I love both Riverside and POFQ! French Quarter a little more for its small size and charm. I love the look of the buildings at FQ.

This year we wanted to try the Royal Rooms at Riverside so we booked POR for November. One thing I really love about both is the boat transportation to DTD. I haven't taken a bus to or from DTD since 2007 and I plan on keeping it that way as long as I stay Port Orleans!

I must say that the food court at Riverside is far superior than POFQ. You can only get those yummy beignets at FQ though. Both resorts have newly renovated rooms with queen size beds and they look awesome!

tinkerbella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
Maleficent Dragon
Member Since 2004; lost previous login details

I prefer the French Quarter. They are the first to be picked up and dropped off on the bus route and everything is a close walk to everything else.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #45
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent Dragon View Post
I prefer the French Quarter. They are the first to be picked up and dropped off on the bus route and everything is a close walk to everything else.
We were just at POR in April for 2 different stays and we didn't share buses with POFQ at all. If you get a preferred room at POR everything is super close.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: