Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
SA mom
DIS Veteran

We stayed at French Quarter a few years ago and their bus stop was the first on the circuit. That meant we could always get on in the morning and were the first off at night.

Is it still the same?
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
Collette
Mouseketeer

Whichever you choose will be great! If you like a smaller layout, POFQ is definitely that. It's charming and peaceful and a great place to come home to at night. But...

POFQ was our first resort in 1999. I stayed there again in 2005 and always raved here about the resort. I had no desire to stay at POR which was Dixie Landings in 1999. Nothing appealed to me about it to ever leave my favorite moderate POFQ. Then last fall when planning a trip with my adult kids, my daughter worked with someone who had just returned from a great stay at POR. We decided we wanted to try it. I absolutely fell in love with the place!!! The theming, the atmosphere, the newly refurbished rooms, the food court, everything. We were in Parterre Place. Loved the river. Especially walking along it at night. To be completely honest though, the one thing that eventually got to us was the walk back to the room when returning from the parks.

This fall I'm renting points and staying at BLT. I'm very excited for my first stay there, but I'm a little worried that my heart will be at POR.
Collette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
kandb
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both and definetely like POR better. POR is more beautiful and has a much more laid back, relaxed feeling to it. Staying at POR in Sept., can't wait.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #19
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collette View Post
Whichever you choose will be great! If you like a smaller layout, POFQ is definitely that. It's charming and peaceful and a great place to come home to at night. But...

POFQ was our first resort in 1999. I stayed there again in 2005 and always raved here about the resort. I had no desire to stay at POR which was Dixie Landings in 1999. Nothing appealed to me about it to ever leave my favorite moderate POFQ. Then last fall when planning a trip with my adult kids, my daughter worked with someone who had just returned from a great stay at POR. We decided we wanted to try it. I absolutely fell in love with the place!!! The theming, the atmosphere, the newly refurbished rooms, the food court, everything. We were in Parterre Place. Loved the river. Especially walking along it at night. To be completely honest though, the one thing that eventually got to us was the walk back to the room when returning from the parks.

This fall I'm renting points and staying at BLT. I'm very excited for my first stay there, but I'm a little worried that my heart will be at POR.
Sounds beautiful with the walk along the river that is hard to pass up! Especially with it being in December and Hopefully cooler weather, it would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
September 29-October 5 2014

Me DBF
KristenRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiminee krikit View Post
We've stayed at POFQ (a few years ago) and POR (this past Christmas), and Riverside is my favorite, but just by a teensy bit... We were lucky at POFQ and had a room very close to the food court and bus stop (by very close, I mean we walked down the stairs, and there was the entrance to the food court). Riverside is a lot bigger, but IMO, you go to Disney and you expect to walk a lot. We weren't too far from the food court, and we were close to 2 bus stops at POR. And if the buses leaving the park were ever too full, or a FQ bus came first, we would take that bus and take a lovely stroll back to POR from FQ. We do make it a point to walk around at FQ because I love the atmosphere over there. But for some reason I just love POR... the scenery, the smells... ahhh, I can't wait to go back! And I like that POR has a TS restaurant and Yehaa Bob!!!
Sounds great! Thank you

I think this time we will stay at POFQ, I'm excited to be at Disney for Christmas (my first time there during the holidays) so I imagine no matter what I'll be happy and love every bit of it. But yeah, FQ does seem to be more of what I'm looking for. Especially with this being a quick 4 day tripz

Me DBF
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #21
ncc1701
Scotty I need Warp 10 to WDW

IMO you can't go wrong with either. We love POFQ ( it is where went on our honeymoon)but POR would be next choice on a trip.
We usually only eat breakfast at the resort and haven't been to Boatwrights on our last 5 trips. We do however go up to the River Roost in POR several times to see Bob's show. Plus as a PP said you can use the pools at both.
Regarding the bus service we have noticed that we have shared less with POR in the peak times on our last several trips as compared to the 1st three.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #22
dulluth
Mouseketeer

I agree that both are great (but where in WDW isn't?)! We stayed at POR first, and loved the beauty of the grounds ... it truly is a lovely area. I can't say for sure on the transportation situation, but I don't have a memory of being put off by it, either. The second time we stayed there, we were at POFQ. We stayed there specifically because we had my parents with us. My mom needed to be picked up for dialysis while we were there, and she had no problem making her way around to get to the pick up area on her own, and it was nice and compact for her to move about. We were there in Oct., so the crowds were low, so we had no issues with the paths, etc. They were both very well themed, and beautiful resorts! Have a lovely trip! Christmas at WDW is so amazing!!!
dulluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #23
Aatif911
Mouseketeer

Hands down FQ over Riverside. We just got back from FQ and we stayed at Riverside last September.

There was construction happening at FQs main lobby, but it'll be done by August.

You can take the boat to dd or riverside. Riverside is walkable as well. You can use the pools at both resorts.

Upcoming Trip/s
09/14 POFQ and 12/14 CSR
Aatif911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #24
disneygirly
Mouseketeer

Have stayed at both. We all love FQ better, but if it is a decent price difference due to discounts then I would absolutely stay at POR instead. The extra money saved can be used on a great night out for the family at something like Mickey's BBQ or the Polynesian's Luau.
disneygirly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulluth View Post
I agree that both are great (but where in WDW isn't?)! We stayed at POR first, and loved the beauty of the grounds ... it truly is a lovely area. I can't say for sure on the transportation situation, but I don't have a memory of being put off by it, either. The second time we stayed there, we were at POFQ. We stayed there specifically because we had my parents with us. My mom needed to be picked up for dialysis while we were there, and she had no problem making her way around to get to the pick up area on her own, and it was nice and compact for her to move about. We were there in Oct., so the crowds were low, so we had no issues with the paths, etc. They were both very well themed, and beautiful resorts! Have a lovely trip! Christmas at WDW is so amazing!!!
Yay! I'm so excited! thank you sooo much for the info!

Me DBF
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1701 View Post
IMO you can't go wrong with either. We love POFQ ( it is where went on our honeymoon)but POR would be next choice on a trip.
We usually only eat breakfast at the resort and haven't been to Boatwrights on our last 5 trips. We do however go up to the River Roost in POR several times to see Bob's show. Plus as a PP said you can use the pools at both.
Regarding the bus service we have noticed that we have shared less with POR in the peak times on our last several trips as compared to the 1st three.
Great to know, thanks! 👍

Me DBF
Old 06-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
KristenRB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirly View Post
Have stayed at both. We all love FQ better, but if it is a decent price difference due to discounts then I would absolutely stay at POR instead. The extra money saved can be used on a great night out for the family at something like Mickey's BBQ or the Polynesian's Luau.
Absolutely! A Luau sounds amazing def something to consider. Hmmm....

Me DBF
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #28
Shaden
DIS Veteran

As a PP sort of hinted. IF, you go on a general public discount offer, generally speaking French Quarter does not really get them.

We were booked at FQ for our trip in May, but when the deal was released in January Riverside was 30% off the room, French Quarter was 5%.

Made a pretty big difference in the price, and so we switched to Riverside.

If you are on a PIN or a Deal that applies to either, well, then that's not even a worry
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #29
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

POFQ. It's our favorite moderate!!!

The small size makes it more like a neighborhood instead of a hotel.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #30
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I stayed at both and prefer riverside. It has a quiet pool better entertainment and better food court

2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread