Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Frustrated with video gaming systems

First, let me say that my DS is nearly 21....goes to college and works part time. He is able to earn his money to buy the new systems. He works at Target and gets a discount. However, that hasn't been the case in the past and every so many years, the new game consoles come out....lo and behold, either not backwards compatible, or the features are so much better with the new system and EVERYONE seems to go to the new system. For instance, the Xbox 360 offered online gaming and he liked to play with his friends.

Now it seems the Xbox one will be debuting in the fall with PS4 12/31. What makes me frustrated is all the people that have given their kids this past Christmas a really wonderful gift of the 360, it will soon be obsolete. They will be phasing out games for the 360 and only for the Xbox One. The games are not backwards compatible, so any game for the 360 will not play on the new system.

I understand it's technology moving forward and we can never keep up. But it is frustrating. The rep for Microsoft was in Target and my son was speaking to him as my DS works in Electonics....he said his home is an Apple family and as far as gaming, PS3. He is not happy how Microsoft does things....

When my DS was younger I would be so upset with all of this but now, it seems we either buy it or not.....never going to keep up. However, kids don't understand it. It may be different if you could play older games on the newer system. My DS is more interested in the PS4 this time around (actually he has both Xbox 360 & PS3) as it is cheaper and seems to be more for the gamer. The Xbox one seems to be more about the whole entertainment package. It comes with kinect and he's not that interested in that. None of his friends are either. They are all playing the shoot em up games and online doing that.

Anyway...venting away.
maxaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
l_mccafferty
DIS Veteran

I agree, I honestly think Microsoft have made a pretty huge mistake.
They will still get people who buy it, of course they will but I think the PS4 will outsell it in huge amounts.
My DFi designs video games in a company of around 400 people and most of the people there have said they will go for the PS4 as the Xbox One has just priced itself out of the market.

The backwards compatibility isn't necessarily a bad thing for them as they'll just play whatever new games come out!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

My son said that used games will not work anymore either.

When you purchase an used game you will also have to purchase a key code specific to the game and console. So young children won't be able to bring their game and play at their friends.

New technology each day. Also the 360 will have to be plugged in and linked to the internet at all times to work as everything will download into the system.

Yep technology at its best, taking from our wallets!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

Well, there's always Nintendo. DH was playing Super Mario from Nintendo 64 on his WiiU the other day. Obviously he downloaded it as the system can't play ancient cartridges, but for pennies really. Oh, and Ghosts and Goblins. Now there's a dinosaur. Anyways, from what I understand its very good with backwards compatibility, just not so much with the cooperative online gameplay.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza (coming Nov/Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

The announcement at the video game show of the xbox one went down like a rock. Playstation definitely won that round. Drawing the line in the sand on used games was Microsofts big mistake IMHO.

I hate that they are not backwards compatible. I do love Warhawk and am sad that it will probably fade into darkness. We will preorder the PS4. We still have tons of games on the xbox 360 that get played. It's going to take some huge game announcement to get us interested in the Xbox.

Oh and there was the Apple You're holding it wrong moment for Microsoft......when a soldier on a nuclear sub commenting on how it would be impossible for him to be constantly connected online he got the "well this system isn't for you"
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

I am a huge gamer although I mostly play on my PC as comparing a console to a gaming PC is like comparing a pedal bike with a Harley Davidson, lol! I was actually gobsmacked at Microsoft and the Xbox One, basically the only other thing they could charge you for would be every time you press a button on your controller, bad bad move Microsoft! The PS4 will destroy it in sales, it looks good and has a far better pricetag but I still will not be buying one. I feel that most companies are just totally greedy now, Microsoft and Apple being the worse offenders (how many new versions of iPods, iPads and iPhones have they released? Can't they just get it right first time or do software updates through the store??) and I think it's very unfair. Sadly there are people who throw money at these companies so they don't ever stop to rethink what they are doing although I think Microsoft might be in for quite a fright with the poor sales Xbox One is looking set for. It's just such a shame that parents feel they 'need' to buy these latest additions for their kids, no one wants their child to feel left out from their friends and it's gotten pretty out of hand. I know a lot of people who are buying 2 and 3 year olds iPads, it's absolutely insane!!

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Xbox 360 and PS3 have been out for YEARS though. You can't expect companies to not come out with new products. And its a business, of course they are going to do everything to make you want the NEW system (meaning not making it backwards compatible, etc).

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
Xbox 360 and PS3 have been out for YEARS though. You can't expect companies to not come out with new products. And its a business, of course they are going to do everything to make you want the NEW system (meaning not making it backwards compatible, etc).
It's true. And it was pretty common knowledge that the price drops last holiday season on both consoles were to squeeze out some final sales before the new systems come out.

However I think that Microsoft stepped on it. We will be waiting until the next generation to get anything as we are expecting our first child and she will be too young and we will be too busy to play, but the only thing the Xbox One has that I like is the Kinect. I can't believe they are charging $100 more and you have to be connected to the Internet and can't take a game to a friend's house to play.

Can you hear the crickets in the Xbox aisle of every store?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
SarahWeasley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I don't keep up with the console news at all (I have a Wii and my boyfriend has, I think, the original Xbox, not a 360) and it sounds like Microsoft has made some bad decisions about their new Xbox. But I don't understand worrying about families who just got a 360 for Christmas -- the 360 came out eight years ago, didn't it? So if they took eight years to get a 360, they're probably not going to buy the new Xbox immediately and then be all disappointed that their 360 games aren't compatible.

Sorry if I'm being really obtuse and missing something.

[edit: Okay, it did just occur to me that these families might have kids who are just now old enough to want a console, as opposed to families that just haven't bothered to get one for the first several years it was out. But still, if they didn't realize that the 360 has been out for a LONG time and that there'd probably be a new system on the horizon, that's kind of their mistake.]
SarahWeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
Kogo Shuko
DIS Veteran

Growing up, my parents bought us one rare console (Turbo Grafx-16) that only one other family we knew had (by random happenstance).
After that (bought in '89), they refused to buy a new console until both children had moved out.

So now I still have that old console and a PS2.

But even I can see that Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot. All of my serious gamer friends are discussing the fact that they won't be buying the XBox One.

~*~ 1992-1993 – Offsite ~*~ 1995-1996 – Offsite ~*~ 2009 – Scotland ~*~ 2010 – Newfoundland ~*~ 2010-2011 – Offsite ~*~ October 2011 - Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Feb 2012 – Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Oct 2012 – Carnival Cruise/Offsite/Leesburg ~*~ Sept 2013 - Sanibel/Vistana/Leesburg ~*~

~*~My Blog / Florida Trip Report~*~
http://kogoshuko.wordpress.com/
Kogo Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We're a gaming family and it is still a large part of dh's recreation time. He grew up in that generation so it's not unheard of for a professional family man to love his gaming. It's not just teens anymore.
Dh had the PS2 when we met, moved up to the PS3 about 6 months after it came out and I will likely get him the PS4. We've never even been tempted by the Xbox. Didn't want one before, and definitely don't want one now.

Now that being said.. Dh and I have been together 13 years. I don't think 14 years is an unreasonable amount of time to be upgrading systems twice (like I mentioned he already had the PS2 when we moved in together). That's more than 4.5 years per system if you trade up when they are released. Sure a lot of people wait until the prices come down and for the good deals, but like any electronic, prices come down when you are getting closer to something new.

We buy games used or trade them in so our overall cost is lower and we prefer Playstation because you aren't paying a monthly fee for an account to play with others.

Overall we'll stay a Playstation family and we're excited for the new system.

Don't be surprised if Xbox reverses this decision on the used games somehow or adjusts their pricepoint. Unless they have killer titles coming that people will be falling all over themselves to get, this isn't going to go well.
pigletto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Xbox 360 has been out for a LONG time. I don't see the. If deal in the new systems coming out. No cross comparability sucks but EA Has said their games will be multigenerational for a few years and I imagine other companies will follow that as well. It won't be an immediate phase out. Developers would lose too much revenue.

XBOne and its Internet requirement doesn't bother me since I'm always connected anyway. I think their new gaming policy sucks. But Sony even said that any 3rd party developers can implement whatever Internet restriction they'd like... I think they're both heading into a constant Internet connection zone, Sony just isn't jumping into it as hard.

I'll end up with both, just not sure if it will be on release or if I'll wait the bugs out. I lucked out with my 1st generation Xbox 360 from 2006 ... Never had a RRoD.

aaarcher86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
rgf207
DIS Veteran

The Xbox 360 and PS3 both made their debut in 2005. That's 8 years ago. I totally see the need for a next gen console for both companies. So much has changed since then.

As far as the XBox One. Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot. They have ticked off their target audience. The always online requirement along with a system that has a camera and microphone that are always on is a huge issue for people. With all that's going on , do you want a camera and microphone in your house that you don't control that's always connected to the internet? That coupled with the fact that you can trade, sell or buy used games is huge. Microsoft chose to protect their profits and sony chose to listed to their customers. That's a huge kick in the face.

Regarding backwards compatibility, it's too expensive to implement. They essentially have to build the old console into the new one. They run on different rom chips and emulators. If the made them backwards compatible you would need to add about $300 to the cost of the console. Remember Sony did this for the first round of PS3 systems and they soon stopped. It was way too expensive since they had to essentially build the PS2 into the PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Don't be surprised if Xbox reverses this decision on the used games somehow or adjusts their pricepoint. Unless they have killer titles coming that people will be falling all over themselves to get, this isn't going to go well.
They really can't do that. They've engineered it that way and reversing it will take a lot of time and money. Plus they would miss their releas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker'n'Fun View Post
My son said that used games will not work anymore either.

When you purchase an used game you will also have to purchase a key code specific to the game and console. So young children won't be able to bring their game and play at their friends.

New technology each day. Also the 360 will have to be plugged in and linked to the internet at all times to work as everything will download into the system.

Yep technology at its best, taking from our wallets!
EA has been doing this for a while for their online play. I sort of agree with their concept. Game developers have to maintain a lot of servers for online play and this costs a lot of money. When someone buys a used game, they get the developers don't get anything. So to offset that, they require the person to purchase a key for online play. These usually cost $10 and help to offset the costs to maintain the game servers.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Xbox 360 has been out for a LONG time. I don't see the. If deal in the new systems coming out. No cross comparability sucks but EA Has said their games will be multigenerational for a few years and I imagine other companies will follow that as well. It won't be an immediate phase out. Developers would lose too much revenue.

XBOne and its Internet requirement doesn't bother me since I'm always connected anyway. I think their new gaming policy sucks. But Sony even said that any 3rd party developers can implement whatever Internet restriction they'd like... I think they're both heading into a constant Internet connection zone, Sony just isn't jumping into it as hard.

I'll end up with both, just not sure if it will be on release or if I'll wait the bugs out. I lucked out with my 1st generation Xbox 360 from 2006 ... Never had a RRoD.
I agree....and also already pre-ordered XBOX One "Day 1 editon" on Amazon. :P
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

The first XBox launched in 2001. XBox 360 launched in 2005. So it was pretty much time for another version. But the way they're doing it is a mess.

I thought OP's statement from the Microsoft rep that his is an Apple/PS3 family was pretty funny.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: