Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
kajs22
Mother extraordinaire, friends call me wonder woman, grew up in South Florida and trying to get back.

Target red card fees?

I was looking at the debit card - there are quite a few benefits, but, there is an EFT fee of $20? Does anyone know if that fee is for each transaction?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

I've never paid any fees with my Target Red Card. I have the debit.

Is it a fee if you don't have sufficient funds on hand to pay the EFT?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boymthr View Post
I've never paid any fees with my Target Red Card. I have the debit.

Is it a fee if you don't have sufficient funds on hand to pay the EFT?
Ditto
Malibustyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
My3Princez
DIS Veteran

Never had a fee on my Target Debit card either, and I use it all the time. Did some Googling and it looks like the listed fees are if a payment doesn't go through - just like a returned check fee.
My3Princez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Fyi-the charges does not hit your account for a few day, at the least. This is one thing I really dislike. It doesn't even put a hold on your funds....this has to be one of the reason they have the card and make money...hoping for some $20 fees. I was shocked to see that it took 4 days to come out of my account when i first used it. Grrrrr. I probably won't be using my card often bc of this. I don't carry a large balance often but if you do, no worries.
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

I have had my card for a while and I make several purchases a week. I have never had any fees. As others have said it does take a day or two for the transaction to show in your checking account so when you are balancing your book be sure to account for outstanding target charges.
If you are a regular Target shopper, you are going to love having the card.
POR 2011
POR 2013
jmartinez1895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

I've never been charged a fee either. I just make sure that I keep my receipts and know that the money is gone from the account as soon as I spend it, even though it isn't taken out for a few days.

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Nik's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

I just called them and spent a while on the phone. No one knew anything about it until one of them got online and saw the "fees". They said after reading into the terms and conditions that EFT is for insufficient funds. The manager that I spoke to said the wording is very confusing, but assured me that there are never any fees as long as you have the money in your account to cover the purchases.
POR 2011
POR 2013
Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
chrystalc77
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if the debit car has to have a credit check? I wouldn't think so since it's linked to your checking account. We are in our last year of bankruptcy so credit is a no go but I would love to get a debit card. Especially since I do a lot of online shopping at Christmas. Not to mention being able to buy Disney gift cards at a discount!
chrystalc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
molliewalks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrystalc77 View Post
Does anyone know if the debit car has to have a credit check? I wouldn't think so since it's linked to your checking account. We are in our last year of bankruptcy so credit is a no go but I would love to get a debit card. Especially since I do a lot of online shopping at Christmas. Not to mention being able to buy Disney gift cards at a discount!
I just got mine today and there was no check. Just took a blank check in and filled out a few things and that was it.
molliewalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
jmartinez1895
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliewalks View Post
I just got mine today and there was no check. Just took a blank check in and filled out a few things and that was it.
Agree. The only thing they check is if you have written bad checks. Your credit will not be pulled.
just show up at your local store with a blank check and your ID. You will be asked to put in your Social, but that is only to verify with the bank that it is really you opening the account.
POR 2011
POR 2013
Old 06-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
Fyi-the charges does not hit your account for a few day, at the least. This is one thing I really dislike. It doesn't even put a hold on your funds....this has to be one of the reason they have the card and make money...hoping for some $20 fees. I was shocked to see that it took 4 days to come out of my account when i first used it. Grrrrr. I probably won't be using my card often bc of this. I don't carry a large balance often but if you do, no worries.
That has to be a function of your bank and not Target, as our purchases debit from our bank account in real time, literally within seconds, just like any other debit card purchase or ATM withdrawal (which is basically what the Red Card is).
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
kajs22
Mother extraordinaire, friends call me wonder woman, grew up in South Florida and trying to get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinez1895 View Post
I just called them and spent a while on the phone. No one knew anything about it until one of them got online and saw the "fees". They said after reading into the terms and conditions that EFT is for insufficient funds. The manager that I spoke to said the wording is very confusing, but assured me that there are never any fees as long as you have the money in your account to cover the purchases.
Wow - thanks for the information and all the information everyone. I guess I just wanted to make sure there were no hidden fees since the benefits seem to be worthwhile. This Disney gift cards are great, but, you can also get them at Bjs. I recently opened a free 90 day membership and bought some $100 gift cards for about $95. Going back for more before our trip. The nearby Target just added a Fresh market - so I was thinking I may be there more than ever. Especially since super Walmart is a farther trek for me.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
MrsNnr
Earning My Ears as a Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrystalc77 View Post
I'm not sure why, as they don't tell you why when you're denied, but we were denied the Target Debit. I believe we applied last year sometime and received a letter in the mail about a week later. We filed bankrupcy in early 2010. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, we've never written bad checks either.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
MrsNnr
Earning My Ears as a Mommy

Well thank you to the PP that mentioned it could be because of bad checks. That prompted DH and myself to submit requests for reports to Chex Systems to see if there was anything negative in our files. DH was put in Chex Systems when we filed bankrupcy, I'm assuming the bank we were with did so before they received the paperwork from the Court (we had a CC with them that went into the bankrupcy).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: