Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

Help Please....

Trying to plan for a family of 5 on a budget...kids older 15,16,& 26 if that helps.
Wondering which would you choose - ASMU OR ASMO & why? Pro's & Con's?
Two rooms or one family suite? I saw that ASMU has a family suite 235.00 per night - does ASMO also? Please help me decide what to do!!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Check out the double tree at DTD. Great transportation. You can walk to DTD. You will have a small kitchen area with a fridge and microwave.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2012 View Post
Trying to plan for a family of 5 on a budget...kids older 15,16,& 26 if that helps.
Two rooms or one family suite? I saw that ASMU has a family suite 235.00 per night - does ASMO also? Please help me decide what to do!!
ASMo does not have suites. If you want a family suite at a value resort, you will need to book either ASMu or AoA.

There really is not much of a difference between the AllStar resorts other than theming. The rooms are all laid out in the same manner and the bus systems run in a similar manner. ASSp's food court will be undergoing a rehab beginning 7/31/13 thru 12/26/13. It might be a bit inconvenient even though they will be running shuttle buses to the other AllStar resorts during meal times. So, I would avoid staying there.

My preference with older children would be to get 2 separate rooms so that everyone gets a real bed. The ASMu family suites have a pullout sofa and chair that convert to beds. Having a microwave in the room is nice and the regular rooms don't have them, but I would rather have a comfortable bed for everyone.

Marionnette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
ASMo does not have suites. If you want a family suite at a value resort, you will need to book either ASMu or AoA.

There really is not much of a difference between the AllStar resorts other than theming. The rooms are all laid out in the same manner and the bus systems run in a similar manner. ASSp's food court will be undergoing a rehab beginning 7/31/13 thru 12/26/13. It might be a bit inconvenient even though they will be running shuttle buses to the other AllStar resorts during meal times. So, I would avoid staying there.

My preference with older children would be to get 2 separate rooms so that everyone gets a real bed. The ASMu family suites have a pullout sofa and chair that convert to beds. Having a microwave in the room is nice and the regular rooms don't have them, but I would rather have a comfortable bed for everyone.
Ditto to everything.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Would also price out POP, my older kids love it there. Design is fun for older set. You can also walk across the bridge and eat at AoA food court as well. Both have nice menus. POP footprint is well laid out and no room is too far. I always book standard there and it's only a couple minute walk to everything.

If you are stuck on AMO or ASMu then I def would pick AMO. No matter where, TWO rooms for lots of bedding and still two baths.
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 6x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 13x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2012 View Post
I'd get 2 seperate rooms. We stayed in ASMu Family Suite last week with my husband, myself, 13 year old DD and 17 year old DS.

The sleeper sofa was awful. My DD ended up just sleeping on the sofa itself. The pull out chair was good. My DS took that and it was comfy.

The pull out ottoman was too small for me at 5'6". I tried it one night when my husbands snoring drove me nuts.

The queen bed in the bedroom was hard as a rock.

Next time if my DS comes with us in 3 years, we'll either try the AoA Suites or just get 2 rooms (my preference - one room for girls, one for the guys.)

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
MKFan-PR
Certified MK Freak! Work is what I do for Vacation money!

Another vote for two rooms. The convenience of 'space' usually gets cancelled by the convenience of actual beds for everybody, plus two bathrooms.

I like ASMo themeing more, but apart from that they basically have the same offerings. Take note of the ASSp food court refurb, as it could mean more people at ASMu's food court.

As another poster said, you should also look at POP.

You'll do great no matter the choice.

'73 - Offsite w/Parents * '75 - CR w/Parents * '77 - Offsite w/Parents * '83 - Offsite w/Parents * 10/94 - CBR - DW * 09/95 - Poly - DW * 11/96 - POFQ - DW * 11/97 - WL - DW * 10/99 - CSR - DW, DD * 08/02 - CBR - DW, DD * 12/03 - Poly - DW, DD * 07-08/05 - POFQ - DW, DD * 12/08 - CBR - DW, DD * 01/12 - AS-Mo DW, DD * 01/14 - POP DW, DD
MKFan-PR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
limegreenmonorail
Earning My Ears

If I were you, I'd have a Disney travel agent look into the best deals for you...their services are free, and it's much easier to let someone else do the planning.

Have you considered a Deluxe, like Contemporary or Beach Club? Their standard rooms have 2 queen beds and a day bed (plenty big enough for an adult). While those rooms are more expensive, they're actually not too bad if you can be flexible with your dates and go during value season, while Disney's running a good room discount. If you can go during a "special offer" and catch the usual 30% off Deluxe rooms, you'll be able to get a standard room at one of these resorts for not too much more than you'd pay for a Family Suite at ASM. Or, look into renting DVC points and getting a villa - you can also find good deals by going that route, as well!

WDWCP Spring 2003
WDW Professional Internship 2007
20+ trips to Disney and counting!
limegreenmonorail is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: