Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Pre and Post Cruise in Galveston - Coming from HOU (Hobby)

Okay, I know there are a lot of threads about this - getting to port from Galveston, so I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before. I couldn't find anything recent or answers to some of these unique questions. Most people on here have provided experiences for their big families or groups so that hasn't helped, unfortunately, for just two people. Too bad there aren't more people going with us, looks like we could get a bargain!

Us: First time cruisers, late 20s, no kids. Booked on the 7 night Wonder to the Bahamas in Oct. 2013.

Pre-Cruise:
Because of a great sale, we are actually flying in two days early to Houston Hobby, via Southwest. We fly in Thursday night. We will have a full day on Friday before we leave on our cruise Saturday.
Questions:
1 - I'm already frustrated that we will be paying around $200 to get us to and from the airport, so if you have any other suggestions, please let me know! Supershuttle would be $260 for us round trip, and a town car would be $190. Renting a car and finding somewhere to park it for the week is even more, around $350. I'm still looking into other options.

2 - Where would you stay for two nights? I'd rather stay under $100/night and would love a place that had some amenities like breakfast/wifi? Too bad that Hotel Galvez and Harbor House are so much - they look beautiful!

3 - What would you suggest to see for a full day in Galveston for a couple in their 20s, sans kids?

POST Cruise
When we get back, our plane doesn't leave until 6:30pm. Considering we'll be off the ship by 9am at the latest...
Questions:

1 - Should we try to get up to Houston ASAP or stay in Galveston for a bit?

2 - If we do head up to Houston, what should we do all day?

I honestly didn't think it would be so hard to get myself ON the actual cruise.
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
geminierin
Earning My Ears

Can't help with transportation options, (I live 10mins from Hobby), but if you do want to head back towards Hobby after disembarking, I recommend Kemah Boardwalk. There's shops, restaurants, and rides. And its bout 20-25 mins from the airport.
geminierin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
geminierin
Earning My Ears

Oh, as for the full day in Galveston, search the web for info on Moody Gardens (an aquarium with other attractions, including their beach/waterpark -Palm Beach), the Strand (shops/restaurants), Pleasure Pier, and Schlitterbaun (spelling is probably off) a massive waterpark!
That should get you started!
geminierin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Galveston is a fun weekend trip for my family . The hotels I would suggest are the hampton inn or the Hilton. For spending the day - You may enjoy moody gardens or schlitterbahn . There is also the new pleasure pier which looks like fun- cant wait to check it out this summer . I second the pp idea of the Kemah boardwalk - fun and relaxing !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: