Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
ddwwelsh
Mouseketeer

Tell Me All About It, Please

We will be staying at POR in December. Our reservations are for a garden view room.

So, which building/room might we possibly have? It really doesn't matter. We're just curious and not looking for anything spectacular.

Thanks.

"Some of my best memories are Disney memories."

*1972 *1977 * 1984 * 1985* 1990 *1991 *1992
*1993 *2005-All-Star Movie Resort
ddwwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
SqueakyMouse
DIS Veteran

My favorite POR locations would have to be in building in 16 or 18. The quiet pool and laundry is close by, and the walk to the main building is very short. Even more important during the hotter months, there's a short cut to the South Depot bus stop.

Way, Way Too Many Trips to List

Upcoming trips:

June 2014 WBC (currently enjoying!! )
October 2014 WBC
December 2014 WBC
April 2015 WBC
SqueakyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Pretty sure building 18 is a preferred room, which is a separate booking category.

OP, a garden view room could be in just about any building. This link has an interactive map of POR. Click on any building and you will bet a pop up layout of the building that shows what category each room falls into.

http://www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Pretty sure building 18 is a preferred room, which is a separate booking category.

OP, a garden view room could be in just about any building. This link has an interactive map of POR. Click on any building and you will bet a pop up layout of the building that shows what category each room falls into.

http://www.portorleans.org/maps-and-directions.php
Building 18 is definitely a preferred location. We stayed there in April & paid for preferred & it was great. Room was right around the corner from the quiet pool.

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Magnolia or Acadian near the foot bridge is a nice location as well.

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
ddwwelsh
Mouseketeer

Okay, So Riddle Me This...

Maybe I'm just slow at all of this and the DIS jargon.

Reservations are made for POR w/a garden view room.
I see so many people posting about faxing requests for specific rooms, etc. We don't have any specific requests. Granted, I'd like to be as close to things as possible, but not everyone can be.

So, with a garden view room, it's likely a toss-up as to where we'll be? Like I said, it doesn't necessarily matter, but I want to make sure I haven't missed an important detail.

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwwelsh View Post

So, with a garden view room, it's likely a toss-up as to where we'll be?
Yes. There are 761 Garden View rooms so you could be anywhere except the preferred locations. If you look at the map in the link that Minnie mum posted, you can click on each individual building to see where the different room types are located to get a better understanding.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe I'm just slow at all of this and the DIS jargon.

Reservations are made for POR w/a garden view room.
I see so many people posting about faxing requests for specific rooms, etc. We don't have any specific requests. Granted, I'd like to be as close to things as possible, but not everyone can be.

So, with a garden view room, it's likely a toss-up as to where we'll be? Like I said, it doesn't necessarily matter, but I want to make sure I haven't missed an important detail.

Thanks.
Check out: portorleans.org and you will find there is Alligator Bayou and Mansion section of Riverside. Alligator Bayou is very quaint/rustic and remind me of Adirondack mountain lodge furnishings and the mansions look very southern style Georgian-type architecture. After you decide which you might prefer you can fax your preferences to the resort following this information in this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3116216

If you like the mansions, I recommend asking for Acadian House or Magnolia garden view. Close to bridge to Old man Island and close to North Depot to get on/off buses (I like to get on main depot because we usually eat breakfast and hop on bus)

If you like Alligator Bayou, perhaps you could request buildings 16 or 17, close to quiet pool and not far from preferred rooms so you'll be close to parking and amenities.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
ddwwelsh
Mouseketeer

Many Thanks

You know...I think we'll just show up and see what we get. We aren't fussy or difficult to please. We're looking at this as an adventure. <So, when we get lost trying to find our way back from the pool/hot tub, I'll remember how excited I was for the "adventure.">

Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
CalicoSky
Earning My Ears

Quote:
You know...I think we'll just show up and see what we get. We aren't fussy or difficult to please. We're looking at this as an adventure. <So, when we get lost trying to find our way back from the pool/hot tub, I'll remember how excited I was for the "adventure.">
Great way to do it since you don't have a specific area or convenience in mind. I've stayed at POR twice and each time left room assignment up to fate in the form of room assigners. Each time we ended up in Alligator Bayou, building 35 the first trip and 37 the second. Neither pops up on the "best location in POR" threads much, but both were perfect to us. Even so, for my next trip I still won't put in a request. I'll love AB again if that's what we get, and if it's Mansions then it'll be fun to "live" in a mansion even if it's for a week.

So wherever you're assigned, take the time to explore and find out what makes your room/location special. With the river, the pools, bus stops, outdoor movie, fountains, and some pretty wonderful landscaping, you're bound to find something unique and appealing about your building.
CalicoSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Honestly, I've never gotten lost at POR. There's so many landmarks, I don't see how that's possible, but some are directionally challenged and the size of POR can be a bit daunting for some. From the rear of the buildings the parking lots can kind of blend in with each other, but I don't think you'll get lost. We never made any requests until this very last time and I thought we had nice locations each time even without requests. I hope you have a great trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: