Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Okay so what are table mates and how does that work?

Newbies here- Are we all at one big table or what? We are a family of 5 -my husband and I plus our three kids. ..our youngest being 18 months. I'm pretty sure she is going to be screaming for the last half of dinner. :/
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
E ticket rider
Ferb's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
Newbies here- Are we all at one big table or what? We are a family of 5 -my husband and I plus our three kids. ..our youngest being 18 months. I'm pretty sure she is going to be screaming for the last half of dinner. :/
Request a smaller table for just your family... Table sizes vary and we've had our own table as a family of 4 on the Dream.

"The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability" - Remy
E ticket rider is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Each serving team in the dining rooms serves a 4 top, a 6 top and an 8 top table (generally). If you have a smaller party, you may be seated with others to fill the table (tablemates).

When we were a party of 2 we were seated at 8 tops with 3 other couples. On our cruises that we were parties of 5 & 6, we were seated at a 6 top by ourselves. As a party of 3 we were seated with another family of 5.

I'd say your chances of being seated with just your party are good. At, most likely a 6 top. Maybe even a 4 top, if your little one will be in a high chair.

If you want to be seated alone, you need to contact DCL (or your TA, if you used one) to request to have your group seated alone.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E ticket rider

Request a smaller table for just your family... Table sizes vary and we've had our own table as a family of 4 on the Dream.
Oh you can do that? What would you prefer? I don't mind small talk but I really would like to spend time with my family and talk to them. You know how some people talk your ear off?! Oh my goodness...even when you're yelling at the kids to stop this or don't do that and they STILL manage to talk over you...I would really like to avoid that. However, I do enjoy a good conversation.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Callymum
DIS Veteran

I think that the chances are high that you will be at a table alone, because there 5 of you. You can also request a table alone by phoning your TA or phoning Disney Cruise line.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callymum View Post
I think that the chances are high that you will be at a table alone, because there 5 of you. You can also request a table alone by phoning your TA or phoning Disney Cruise line.
There's only 5 of them.

More than likely they'll get put at an 8, with a family of 3. That's happened to us a few times.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh you can do that? What would you prefer? I don't mind small talk but I really would like to spend time with my family and talk to them. You know how some people talk your ear off?! Oh my goodness...even when you're yelling at the kids to stop this or don't do that and they STILL manage to talk over you...I would really like to avoid that. However, I do enjoy a good conversation.
You can, but you need to call and put in the request and as Disney always says, they will take it into consideration, but it is not guaranteed that the request will be granted.

However, as others have said, you have a pretty good chance of being seated alone. We have cruised dcl 7 times and only once have we had "awkwardness" at the table with our table mates. For the most part everyone gets along and they sometimes try to accommodate families with similar age groups, families with children with families with children etc.

I hope you get what you want! Have an amazing cruise!

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
marlod
Earning My Ears

If we are a party of 6 are we most likely to be seated by ourselves? We are 4 adults and 2 children if that matters. I actually like meeting other families, but am not that outgoing so being "forced" to meet others would be great for me.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlod
If we are a party of 6 are we most likely to be seated by ourselves? We are 4 adults and 2 children if that matters. I actually like meeting other families, but am not that outgoing so being "forced" to meet others would be great for me.
Haha...I think it may be good for our kids too. My 8yr old would be pumped to meet a "friend."
Old 06-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
owensamo
DIS Veteran

I'm sure you could add a request to your reservation to be seated with another party!

We've always cruised either as a party of 3 or 5. So far, when we're 5 we've been seated with a party of 3 to fill an 8-top (and only once was a pre-arranged linked ressie). When it was just the 3 of us, we've been seated with a party of 5 twice to fill an 8-top, a party of 3 once to fill a 6-top, and had a 4-top to ourselves (second leg of a B2B so we arranged it to get out of dinner quickly).

While I don't mind dining with just my family, DD's ready to go to the club after a half hour and even though I adore conversing with my DH, it's nice to have other people to talk to. DH and I aren't very outgoing, so being forced to meet and interact with people has been great.

You can also arrange to link reservations with someone else with similar-aged children on your meet thread. We did this for an EBTA and it worked out perfectly.
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We were an adult party of 7 and were seated at our own 8 top every night. We also had Second Seating, which I hear is a lot easier to book! It worked out 100% perfect for us.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is going to sound harsh - but its not meant to be ... because been there, done that

It sounds like you might be worried about disturbing your tablemates because of the "behavior" of your little one. The tables are so close together that any child "acting up" will impact a good many number of tables around you.

<><><><><><><><>

We really enjoy making new friends on the ship, and having dinner with other families lets you "experience more" - as you and they share your days experiences with each other. Earlier this year we had a really bad table - it was just my family!! "Hi, how was your day?" "fine, same as yours" ....

On the WBPC in May we were with several other couples and we had a great time. We ended up doing a lot of the same things and spending a lot of time together -- which sounds like my "conversation" above .... BUT ... we did have a lot to talk about since we had never met before. Unfortunately we live on opposite coasts - but are making plans to get together sometime in the next 12 months!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

You can definitely ask for a table for your family alone. On our last DCL I requested, and got, a table for just our family of 4.

I love meeting new people on cruises, but not while at dinner. We're a family of 4 adults now so many days we go our different ways and we like to come together at dinner and talk about what we did.

In the past we were seated with other DISers (we had all linked our reservations) and that was fun.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
John Terry Craig Robby Mushu BrownFamilyVacations.com

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
missyp
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 4 and we were seated with a family of 4. Their kids were each a year older than mine so pretty good match. The only issue was they did not speak English. Even given those circumstances we still had fun. Our waiters were able to translate some we could communicate a bit by drawing pictures and the bits and pieces we knew of eachothers languages. We had a lot of laughs and learned a lot about eachother's cultures. Yes there were some awkward silent moments but it was still very nice. We are looking forward to sitting with people we dont know on our next cruise too!

DCL Wonder- 04/14
DCL Dream- 02/13
missyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
belles100
DisneyDiva

Quote:
I sailed with my DS at 19 months. Iw old take him to dinner but then book him in Flounder's Reef nursery after the first 30-45 minutes. The kids food comes out quickly at the beginning of the meal. He had time to eat. I would excuse myself, run him to the nursery and come back to eat in peace. he had a blast and was able to play instead of be bored and screaming. I highly recommend!

August 2011 ~ Wonder ~ 7 night Alaskan
August 2008 ~ Magic ~ 15 night Panama Canal
April 2007 ~ Wonder ~ 4 night Bahamian
October 2005 ~ Magic ~ 7 night Western Caribbean that went east due to a hurricane!
December 2003 ~ Wonder ~ 4 night Bahamian
belles100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: