Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Newbie returns from 3 day Dream cruise

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the tips I read here before our 5/23-26 cruise on the Dream. First time Disney cruisers (we cruised one other time, to Bermuda almost 25 years ago. ). Just a few random thoughts:

Cabanas - Food unexpectedly good, could get crowded at times
Main dining rooms- We decide to try all 3 and skip Palo/ Remy. We enjoyed the entertainment at Animator’s Palate (sp?) but the other two restaurants were highly forgettable. The food was pretty good, but nothing sticks out to rave about. Our table mates – a family of 5 who had gone on several Disney cruises before – virtually ignored us. A tiny bit of small talk one night (instigated by my DD) and then nothing. It was a little off-putting since we enjoy talking to other families when we travel. Two of the daughters were near my DD's age, which is probably why we were put together. One daughter even sat sideways so as not to face us (good thing we have a sense of humor!) The funny thing was that the mom- who spoke not a word during all three dinners other than to place her order (not even to her family) came up to my DH as we were disembarking and told us to have a safe journey home, like we were long-lost friends. We laughed about that as we got off the boat.
Pool deck - BURNING hot, even though our weather was only around 75-80 every day. We stuck to the quiet adult pool, which was mostly shaded and- as advertised – very quiet. We also liked hanging out on the deck chairs on Deck 4, where the shuffleboard courts are, and it was almost always deserted.
Room service- we got cookies a couple of times. We’re not room-service people so this was fun.
Nassau- not impressed
Castaway Cay – Pretty nice. My DD and I are sun-avoiders so we left DH on the adult beach after lunch and went back to the ship to ride the Aquaduck with no line. We did the hike/ kayak excursion in the morning and that was fun. The hike was easy but none of us had every kayaked in the ocean before, and it was a lot harder than we expected. We saw stingrays, a nurse shark and several gigantic starfish, though.
Shows – My DH and I didn’t care for Villains, but my DD said this was her favorite. Golden Mickeys was fun, and I really liked Believe.

I had planned for a crowded stateroom with 3 adults, and so we had booked a family suite. The layout was supposed to be a long rectangle, with the sofa pulling out at night. This was our biggest surprise - when we arrived we found out that stateroom 5018 was not only a family suite, but handicapped accessible. It was HUGE, L-shaped with a king-sized bed, sofa, 2 giant portholes and an enormous bathroom (with no step!). There were tons of outlets and loads of floor space. I estimated that we could have fit in another 2 king sized mattresses and still had room to walk around. We booked through AAA and this was the last family suite available, so we took it not even knowing what we were getting.

We never needed our power strip or our portable fan, and the bathroom had tons of counter space so we didn’t need the over-the-door shoe holder that we didn’t bring anyway. Nobody in our hallway had fish extenders, although my DH said she saw some on decks 3 & 4.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

We are newbies, too! Thanks for all the info!
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
donalduck
DIS Veteran

I would like to go on one. Things just keep on happeneding to me that prevents me from going.
donalduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalduck
I would like to go on one. Things just keep on happeneding to me that prevents me from going.
We booked ours over a year in advance to be able to afford our first cruise in October. Maybe if you can save for a deposit then just pay as you can? You could move the date back if needed. Hope you get to go soon!
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: