Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Mama Moose
Mouseketeer

Can I check out early with a room only reservation?

I keep getting different answers from CMs, so I figured someone here would know. I am booked with an AP discount room only reservation for 10 nights.

If we decided we want to leave on day 8, do we still have to pay for the extra nights or can we just check out early?

When we were there in November, they told me that they don't charge your credit card until check out, in case you want to leave earlier in your stay. My issue is the CM on the phone that tells me we have to pay for the entire stay, whether we stay or leave.

Please tell me of your experience!!

Mama Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Moose View Post
I keep getting different answers from CMs, so I figured someone here would know. I am booked with an AP discount room only reservation for 10 nights.

If we decided we want to leave on day 8, do we still have to pay for the extra nights or can we just check out early?

When we were there in November, they told me that they don't charge your credit card until check out, in case you want to leave earlier in your stay. My issue is the CM on the phone that tells me we have to pay for the entire stay, whether we stay or leave.

Please tell me of your experience!!
I don't have personal experience but don't trust anything you hear over the phone. Those people aren't at the resort - they are either at a call center or working from home - some have never even been to Disney World.

Disney has been great with people checking out early for whatever reason. I really wouldn't sweat it. Ask when you check in and don't worry about it for right now.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Well, I'm not sure online checkin has anything to do with it, but I do know that I did online checkin for both ASMusic and AoA a few weeks ago. And when checking into Music, found that the outstanding balance on the room had been charged to the credit card I left on file during online checkin.
But, when at AoA, there had been an issue, so they had me sign for the outstanding balance upon checkin.
I would think that you would just go to the front desk when you wanted to depart and let them know. That way they could finalize your bill.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that with a room only reservation the balance on your reservation is due at the time of check in, not check out. Your credit card is charged at that time (or earlier in the day if they have your cc number on file from online check in).

The bill that you receive on the day of check out is for charges that you have put on your KTTW during your stay.

So what you are really asking is whether or not you could receive a refund for unused nights that you would have already paid for. You'd have to look at the fine print of the terms and conditions- I'd think their cancellation policy would kick in under the situation you are describing.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Many hotels have an "early departure fee" (generally the cost of one night) if you check out early. I cannot find any information as to whether or not WDW has such a fee (Swam and Dolphin do, but that is all that is coming up when I search).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that with a room only reservation the balance on your reservation is due at the time of check in, not check out. Your credit card is charged at that time (or earlier in the day if they have your cc number on file from online check in).

The bill that you receive on the day of check out is for charges that you have put on your KTTW during your stay.

So what you are really asking is whether or not you could receive a refund for unused nights that you would have already paid for. You'd have to look at the fine print of the terms and conditions- I'd think their cancellation policy would kick in under the situation you are describing.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I don't have personal experience with it as we've never left a trip early and anytime I do a room only reservation I pay in full prior to arrival, but I always thought the balance was due upon check in and your cc was charged at that time, not at check out.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
MouseyMin
DIS Veteran

I have had to leave early twice during all the years I've been going to WDW - once because I got sick, and once because of an impending snow storm. They gladly refunded the money I had already paid upon check-in for the nights I wouldn't be using - absolutely no problem at all. Yes, you do pay for all the nights when you check-in, so they issue a refund when leaving early.
MouseyMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Mama Moose
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the responses.
I'm a little worried because DD said she was ready to go home on day 7 when we went in November. We were at WL and I think I looked at her like she was crazy , but we were leaving the next day so I didn't worry about it. This trip will be 10 days and I'm worried it might be too long. It will be our last trip for a couple of years, so I wanted to make the most of our APs!! Also, we drive so I don't want to just go for a few days.
I guess we'll go for it and hope no one gets home sick!!

Mama Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

A few years ago we had to check out early due to a family emergency with one of my sisters and Disney refunded us for the last night of the room. We had a room only room booked.

Last year my husband was staying on a convention rate and was able to extend his trip at at that rate so he did. After day 4 of the extension, he decided he was done with Disney and checked out 2 nights early. Disney refunded him for those 2 nights.

So I really think it's possible if you book room only to check out early and get a refund for the extra night.

Connie

WDW: 15 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: AKL, BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Moose View Post
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm a little worried because DD said she was ready to go home on day 7 when we went in November. We were at WL and I think I looked at her like she was crazy , but we were leaving the next day so I didn't worry about it. This trip will be 10 days and I'm worried it might be too long. It will be our last trip for a couple of years, so I wanted to make the most of our APs!! Also, we drive so I don't want to just go for a few days.
I guess we'll go for it and hope no one gets home sick!!
I will say that just about everyone in my family is ready to head out at the 7 day mark as well!!! I've stayed for longer but that was by myself. And when I've tried to stay longer with my dd's, they get nudgy and cranky and just want to go home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: