Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Is renting snorkel equipment sanitary?

I'm debating whether or not to buy my own (which I really don't want to do) or rent. Is it sanitary to rent?
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
martinm
Grumpy Old Man

I guess that depends on how it is handled.

If you can spit in your mask to make it not fog up and nobody cleans it properly, I would say it is not sanitary.

That being said, I used loaners myself. If your concerned, a small sanitary alcohol wipe will make things nice and sanitary and is ALOT smaller than a mask snorkel and flippers.
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
E ticket rider
Ferb's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
I'm debating whether or not to buy my own (which I really don't want to do) or rent. Is it sanitary to rent?
Yes, they sanitize the equipment between uses.

It's not all that different from using plates, flatware and cups in the restaurants. They wash and sanitize those items between uses as well.

At Castaway, there are large tubs full of sanitizing solution for the life vests as you exit pelican plunge. Cruise lines make every effort to keep items that multiple passengers touch/use as sanitary as possible. Illness can spread like wildfire on a ship and cruise lines are acutely aware of that.

"The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability" - Remy
E ticket rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
antlawn
Mouseketeer

Don't know that I'd want equipment that unknown others have spit/breathed in/on. But, that's just me. Not sure how they "sanitize" them??
antlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
kathie859
DIS Veteran

I did an snorkeling trip in Maui this past March (cruising Holland America) and the vendor supplied the equipment, though a few people had their own. The masks and mouth pieces are disinfected between uses via a dip system into a disinfectant. I've used rented equipment another time in St. John's and it was the same thing. I'm a mid level germaphobe so it didn't bother me to use equipment that another person had used prior.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
truck1
Growing older but not up.

In the rental buildings are big bins of commercial sanitizers and rinse water. After each use they are dropped into the big tubs for a length of time then rinsed and hung to dry. I wouldn't worry about germs etc. I'd be more worried if the gear fit properly and was comfortable.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Ok good to know. Thank you everyone!
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Don't know if you mean the cruise line's equipment or a vendor's equipment. To me it's worth the trouble of taking a hose and mouth piece in my luggage. That doesn't take up too much room. I'm not as worried about the rental mask and fins. When I see people throwing the sets into a tub, I wonder what's in the tub and how long it's been sitting there. Some vendors are conscientious about sanitizing, some maybe not so much. Do what you feel comfortable with.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

As a former dental hygienist and knowing the rise of HPV related oral cancer (Google it) and oral herpes- (sorry but think about it) I plan on bringing my own snorkel gear for me and my 2 children. Its inexpensive at Target or Wal-Mart. In fact, cheaper than a rental.

I booked air through Jet Blue so I can check 3 total bags (3 ticketed people) as to have the extra room to pack. My boys don't NEED their own suitcases but I will definitely be using them.

Just be safe, buy and bring your own.

PS its really NOT the same as utensils. They go through a very hot dishwasher and don't just soak in a germ ridden bath. And also they arent used like a snorkel mouth piece.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014

Last edited by baleeve; 06-17-2013 at 10:54 AM.
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Disney fan View Post
Ok good to know. Thank you everyone!
Sanitary, probably. Fit well and high quality?

Iffy.

I bring my own mask/goggles and fins. (Of course, my fin is 'special'. Anyway talk about propulsion!)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...95237943_n.jpg

If I want it not to leak and be good, I bring my own. That is the problem with renting. One size doesn't always fit...

Anyway now I've trained myself to ditch the mask and the snorkel and goggles are optional (if I want to see) so I'm getting closer to my goal of being aquatic!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
sippican
Mouseketeer

We used loaners once, on an excursion to Stingray City. There was a big bucket of sanitizer onboard that the snorkels were dropped into it. I asked how often the bucket was dumped and the sanitizer replaced, and was met with silence and shrugged shoulders.
To those who compared it to dishwashing, I'm hopeful that dishwasher water is replaced and new detergaent added for each load, and there is a high heat sanitizer cycle. I don't think that happens with eqipment sanitizing. Many places now give you a new mouthpiece, and you rent or borrow the mask. I would not want to rely on a bit of hand sanitizer to clean the spit and whatever else from the mask interior.
We have our own masks and snorkels; forget the fins if you want to save space. I am not a germaphobe, but using something that has been in someone's mouth, or against their nose, then dipped in a bucket of who knows what kind of DNA soup - yuck!

RCI Serenade of the Seas, Arctic Circle, June 2015
Past Cruises:
RCI Jewel, CCL Imagination, CCL Valor, NCL Sun, RCL Brilliance, Celebrity Millenium, RCL Voyager, RCL Nordic Prince
WDW Passholder
Numerous stays at Fort Wilderness- 2013 Winnebago Aspect
sippican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
wcw57
DIS Veteran

salt water has wonderful sanitizing properties....always rinse your equipment vigorously and use fingers to "scrub" contact areas...mucho mejor que nada!!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

I think the answer to this question is a matter of opinion. Is using a toilet seat sanitary? Its a matter of opinion.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
I think the answer to this question is a matter of opinion. Is using a toilet seat sanitary? Its a matter of opinion.
WHAT??? Does you mouth touch the toilet seat?

Do you put paper on the toilet seat? I DO!

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve View Post

Do you put paper on the toilet seat? I DO!
Teehee. On a side note, if you always abide by the "lay the TP on the seat" rule, you will never be "indisposed" when you realize the stall HAS NO TP!

A rule I live by.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: