Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
muffyn
"hmmm*

pulled pork recipe

someone have an easy pulled pork recipe?

something that does not involve sitting in front of a grill or smoker for 15 hours?

something in a roaster oven would be great

I usually roast a whole pig, but the guest count is down this year so would just want to do a small part...

& um what "body part" would I be looking for, & about how much do you pay in your parts?
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post
someone have an easy pulled pork recipe?

something that does not involve sitting in front of a grill or smoker for 15 hours?

something in a roaster oven would be great

I usually roast a whole pig, but the guest count is down this year so would just want to do a small part...

& um what "body part" would I be looking for, & about how much do you pay in your parts?
You're looking for a Pork shoulder/Boston Butt/Picnic Roast. Usually I can find a 4-5 lb. roast for under $10 on sale. This is enough for some serious leftovers.

You have two choices: crock pot or oven. I put some rub (you can buy these) on mine, and throw it in a roasting pan with 1/4 cup of water. Cover it with foil and cook on 250 6-8 hours. Also, you can just rub it and throw it in the crock pot with NO water and cook on low for the same amount of time. Two forks should make it easy to pull.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
amsyw
I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. ~Walt Disney

I always do mine in the crockpot with just a little bit of water, just so it doesn't dry out. Salt, pepper, garlic and just whatever other spice you like. I buy whatever pork roast is on sale, however there are better ones like the poster above listed. I do mine on low for 6-8 hours, shred and add sauce!
2004 The Just Because Trip w/Nana & Papa in tow! yah! .2002 DH's 1st Trip .2000 Oldest DS's 1st Trip .
1982 My 1st (and only) Trip to DL .1980 My 1st Trip to WDW! I've never been the same since!
amsyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
denisem
DIS Veteran

To shred the pork, I read on Pinterest to use a Kitchenaid Mixer with the regular paddle set on level 2. I tried it on cooked chicken breasts (for enchiladas) and it was amazing!!! Much easier than using forks. Just cut or pull the cooked pork into fist size hunks.

I also use a slow cooker with a bit of water and a rub as the PP's mentioned.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
smschex
Mouseketeer

Pioneer Woman has a very easy recipe that sounds a little weird, but tastes absolutely delicious.

Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...shredded-pork/

smschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
muffyn
"hmmm*

shoot forgot to mention I don't have a crock pot,,, & even if I could borrow one, doubt it would fit.. prob need to feed 30+.

think I am stuck with the roaster oven.. (it won;t be our only choice,, burgers & dogs)

oh about the rub,, on the PIG we did,, put a beautiful rub on & all it did was catch fire
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

My friend makes it in a crockpot and just adds rootbeer. Tastes yummy. If you don't have a crockpot maybe a large dutch oven would work...just cook it low and slow.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

I use the Pioneer Woman"s recipe also. I do NOT use as much of those pepper/ chiles as she says though. That is so hot that I can't even eat it! By cutting back, it is wonderful!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

I went to Food Network.com to find recipes.

I just wanted to do it in a crock pot. I found good recipes online. But I did find Emeril's recipe but it seemed like way too much work.

This recipe doesn't use a crock pot.

I did take the Emeril's Creole Seasoning recipe and it was awesome on the pork. Gave it a kick. I just added my own favorite store bought BBQ sauce and didn't make the fried pickles or coleslaw.

I now double the Seasoning recipe to keep in a Tupperware bowl because it is great to sprinkle on my fried potatos I make with a lil butter in a skillet, scrambled eggs, even quesadillas.

Check out the reviews. I would read them as some people tweek it.:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html

Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 06-10-2013 at 03:47 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

As others mentioned, a butt or shoulder works great. I am not a huge fan of the crock pot. I place mine in the oven on 250 for about 8 hours. Just in time to get home from work and shred it and eat!

I do a pork rub and after it is shredded, add a bbq sauce. I have used several depending on my mood. I prefer a Carolina bbq sauce which is a vinegar based, but my husband and sons prefer a reg bbq sauce like Uncle Yammy's.

Regardless, very easy to do and tastes great. There is always leftovers!

Kelly
Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Praying Colonel
DIS Veteran

The 6-6-6 method is the easiest way to do a pork butt on the smoker, where pork butt turns out best, IMHO.

6 hours on the smoker (apply your favorite rub first)
6 hours in the oven at 200 degrees, wrapped in foil
6 hours sitting in the oven

Sounds like a lot, but the 6 hours on the smoker is the most difficult part, and pork butt on the smoker does not require constant supervision. I have an entry-level Brinkmann smoker and I just put it on and come back every 90 minutes or so to add some more wood chips.

Don't be intimidated by smokers or grills! They're not that labor-intensive--we guys just like to make it look like using them is the equivalent of building a rocket ship or something.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725 View Post
You're looking for a Pork shoulder/Boston Butt/Picnic Roast. Usually I can find a 4-5 lb. roast for under $10 on sale. This is enough for some serious leftovers.

You have two choices: crock pot or oven. I put some rub (you can buy these) on mine, and throw it in a roasting pan with 1/4 cup of water. Cover it with foil and cook on 250 6-8 hours. Also, you can just rub it and throw it in the crock pot with NO water and cook on low for the same amount of time. Two forks should make it easy to pull.
I actually just put it, frozen, in the crockpot with some sliced onion and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce for 12 hours (I leave at 5:15 a.m.). Pull with 2 forks. It's great plain, as sandwiches, in burritos, etc.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post
shoot forgot to mention I don't have a crock pot,,, & even if I could borrow one, doubt it would fit.. prob need to feed 30+.

think I am stuck with the roaster oven.. (it won;t be our only choice,, burgers & dogs)

oh about the rub,, on the PIG we did,, put a beautiful rub on & all it did was catch fire
With the foil, water, and low temp it shouldn't burn.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsyw View Post
I always do mine in the crockpot with just a little bit of water, just so it doesn't dry out. Salt, pepper, garlic and just whatever other spice you like. I buy whatever pork roast is on sale, however there are better ones like the poster above listed. I do mine on low for 6-8 hours, shred and add sauce!
Me too! LOVE crock pot pork

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #15
kimmyann
DIS Veteran

I buy a shoulder or butt, put in the crock pot in the morning on low & cover with water. Let it cook all day (usually 8-10 hours) & I can't even get it out without a big slotted spoon because it just falls apart. Then I drain & add whatever we want, usually vinegar for carolina bbq or regular bbq sauce. It's even good with just salt & pepper.

2007(June)- HoJo Maingate East. Our first & cheapest trip to Orlando. Platinum Pass holders for Busch parks. Seaworld and BGT.
2009(June)- Disney. Port Orleans French Quarter.
2010(June)- The Palms Hotel & Villas. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Clearwater beach.
2011(June)-Quality Suites LBV. Seaworld, Aquatica, BGT & Wonderworks.
2013(May)- RPR & Comfort Suites Maingate East. Universal, Seaworld & who knows what else.
kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: