Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Victim of Domestic Abuse Fired

Not really sure how I feel about this. While on the one hand I think it's abhorent, on the other I can't imagine how I would feel if my child was in this school. Curious to hear other points of view.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...6pLid%3D330387

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

At first I was suspicious of the school but then I thought about it and I could see where they are coming from.

I think they are trying to prevent another school tragedy, like a shooting. What if her ex was so angry and came and shot his children then his ex-wife, then her class? He already had the balls to violate the order once.

If that is why they did it, I totally get it. I feel for her and her children but the school has a bigger responsibility.

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter

2014 Reading Challenge
Currently Reading Book #1 - The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
tinatark
DIS Veteran

I don't know that the school could have handled it differently - they have to protect the children first.
tinatark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

So much for the Catholic church helping and supporting it's members. So much comfort and help was given to her by the church...NOT. Sounds like she has everyone turning their backs on her and her kids. Maybe that's why so many abuse victims stay with their abusers.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep

So if you have chosen to be a teacher you better make sure you keep your domestic violence private and just suck it up. How man teachers are now going to stay in an abusive relationship for fear of losing their job? How many are going to be another statistic? There are other ways to handle this. Move schools and keep it private. Make sure they are informed by law enforcement when her fine upstanding ex is released. Somehow I think the divorce played a factor. They just aren't saying it.

CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneBanks View Post
At first I was suspicious of the school but then I thought about it and I could see where they are coming from.

I think they are trying to prevent another school tragedy, like a shooting. What if her ex was so angry and came and shot his children then his ex-wife, then her class? He already had the balls to violate the order once.

If that is why they did it, I totally get it. I feel for her and her children but the school has a bigger responsibility.
I agree with this.

And if anything it shows how pathetic a "restraining order" actually is. If someone wants to ignore it they can.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

I feel bad for her.

I completely understand what the school was thinking and how they came to their decision.

However, this is a religious school and I feel like they owe her better support. I'm not sure exactly what should have happened, but it isn't very Christian to just turn someone away without offering to help them in some way.

Such a shame all around.
Angelhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirurgeon View Post
So if you have chosen to be a teacher you better make sure you keep your domestic violence private and just suck it up. How man teachers are now going to stay in an abusive relationship for fear of losing their job? How many are going to be another statistic? There are other ways to handle this. Move schools and keep it private. Make sure they are informed by law enforcement when her fine upstanding ex is released. Somehow I think the divorce played a factor. They just aren't saying it.
My thoughts exactly. It is like she is being punished for being abused. It is like they are saying it is all her fault and she deserved it. Now she and her children have to suffer even more. IMO it is all wrong.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
So much for the Catholic church helping and supporting it's members. So much comfort and help was given to her by the church...NOT. Sounds like she has everyone turning their backs on her and her kids. Maybe that's why so many abuse victims stay with their abusers.
tigercat
They've proven themselves hypocrites many times before.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

What would people say if they let her return and her ex came to the school and other kids got hurt?

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)
====================================

====================================
DizBelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
allison443
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
What would people say if they let her return and her ex came to the school and other kids got hurt?
I think that's what was behind the decision, not trying to blame or punish this woman. But just look at the protective parenting threads on the dis. I could definitely see parents not wanting their kids in this teacher's classroom, for example. Maybe they were already getting feedback from other parents, who knows. Especially after the school shooting in Newtown. I do think maybe there is some other way they could have handled it. I'm sure someone on this thread will come up with something.
allison443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatark View Post
I don't know that the school could have handled it differently - they have to protect the children first.
Thats true....
Old 06-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
The first thought that entered my head was that he should have been arrested by now and put away were he can not hurt her or anyone else ever again. Now chances are this woman and her children will end up going to a domestic violence place to seek shelter and safety since she can no longer support her family.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #14
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchfans View Post
The first thought that entered my head was that he should have been arrested by now and put away were he can not hurt her or anyone else ever again. Now chances are this woman and her children will end up going to a domestic violence place to seek shelter and safety since she can no longer support her family.
Why would she want to continue working there when he knows where she and the children are? If I was her I would take the time he was in jail and move to a different city, maybe even change my name and my children's names.

I don't see this as an overreaction. The ex actually came to the school and caused it to go into lockdown. To me, that says he won't stop when he gets out again.

I was going to say something about the Catholic remarks on this thread but realized that would probably get me points.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinatark View Post
they have to protect the children first.
They have to start sometime.
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: