Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
sgc1107
sgc1107

Who's snorkled in GC? Help!!!

Ok I'm looking at these two excursions on grand Cayman and can't decide between them!

First let me say I LOVE marine life, I have a 55gl reef (working on a 150gl) in my living room!

1- shipwreck & Reef snorkel $39 lasts 2.5-3hr Two snorkel sites one at the shipwreck and another at a reef. States your may see angel fish! They feed the fish. Doesn't say how long at the reef but says 45min at the wreck.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...ef-snorkeling/

2- catamaran, reef and kittiwake snorkel sail $73 lasts 3.5-4hr Two sites one at kittiwake wreck site and the other a reef. States you will snorkel for 45min at each site.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...-grand-cayman/

Hoping one of you has been on either of these and could tell me how they were or pictures would be awesome!
sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc1107 View Post
Ok I'm looking at these two excursions on grand Cayman and can't decide between them!

First let me say I LOVE marine life, I have a 55gl reef (working on a 150gl) in my living room!

1- shipwreck & Reef snorkel $39 lasts 2.5-3hr Two snorkel sites one at the shipwreck and another at a reef. States your may see angel fish! They feed the fish. Doesn't say how long at the reef but says 45min at the wreck.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...ef-snorkeling/

2- catamaran, reef and kittiwake snorkel sail $73 lasts 3.5-4hr Two sites one at kittiwake wreck site and the other a reef. States you will snorkel for 45min at each site.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...-grand-cayman/

Hoping one of you has been on either of these and could tell me how they were or pictures would be awesome!

I've done the first one. You can read about it on my trip report here... http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=22

The long and short of it is that the tour guides were extremely nice and it's very close to the ship. You basically snorkel right in front of the ship. We saw plenty of fish but nothing crazy.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRay View Post

I've done the first one. You can read about it on my trip report here... http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=22

The long and short of it is that the tour guides were extremely nice and it's very close to the ship. You basically snorkel right in front of the ship. We saw plenty of fish but nothing crazy.
Great! Thanks! Not great weather for you guys from the looks of your pictures. Looks like there was plenary of fish!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
RosiePA
Mouseketeer

We did the first one, too. For the price, it was great, but I think we'd opt for one that takes you away from the ship next time. That said, I loved the crew we had! We also saw a ton of fish!
RosiePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosiePA View Post
We did the first one, too. For the price, it was great, but I think we'd opt for one that takes you away from the ship next time. That said, I loved the crew we had! We also saw a ton of fish!
The one reason I'm leaning towards this one is all the fish! Hope someone comes along who's done the other one!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

You do not need to pay for an excursion to get to excellent snorkeling sites on Grand Cayman. You can easily walk to them and snorkel from shore. There are dive shops right there to rent gear if you need it. However if you are inexperienced this might not be the best option for you.

The two places I usually recommend are Eden Rock and Sunset House.

Eden Rock is just a hundred yards or so south of the tender piers. This is a VERY popular site and many tour boats bring people here even tho it is easily accessed from shore. You say you want fish:

Now the one bad thing about Eden Rock area is it IS the spot nearest the tender landings so MANY people stop here. So it can get crowded. For this reason I usually head not quite a mile down the road, in the same direction to

here the 'house reef' is the same basic area as Eden, just a bit down the coast. Seen here from the air, there is a wide area to explore and few if Anyone from the cruise ships will be seen. Depending on the time of the day you can have the place to yourself.

The bar - My Bar - is consistently rated among the best in the Carib', the dive shop is first rate and will be happy to rent you gear and has a map to help show you where to find "the good stuff". At the top of the picture you can see the 'sea pool' cut into the shore to provide an easy and sheltered in and out point for those wanting a little warm up time b4 hitting the open water. In this picture nort is up, and for reference Eden is around 2/3 mile to the north.

How far from the ships? This is looking from the swimming pool area towards town

the smaller boat you see is a dive boat at Devil's Grotto near Eden Rock

you can check everything out at their web page http://sunsethouse.com/

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command

Last edited by Capt_BJ; 06-24-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post
You do not need to pay for an excursion to get to excellent snorkeling sites on Grand Cayman. You can easily walk to them and snorkel from shore. There are dive shops right there to rent gear if you need it. However if you are inexperienced this might not be the best option for you.

The two places I usually recommend are Eden Rock and Sunset House.

Eden Rock is just a hundred yards or so south of the tender piers. This is a VERY popular site and many tour boats bring people here even tho it is easily accessed from shore. You say you want fish:

Now the one bad thing about Eden Rock area is it IS the spot nearest the tender landings so MANY people stop here. So it can get crowded. For this reason I usually head not quite a mile down the road, in the same direction to

here the 'house reef' is the same basic area as Eden, just a bit down the coast. Seen here from the air, there is a wide area to explore and few if Anyone from the cruise ships will be seen. Depending on the time of the day you can have the place to yourself.

The bar - My Bar - is consistently rated among the best in the Carib', the dive shop is first rate and will be happy to rent you gear and has a map to help show you where to find "the good stuff". At the top of the picture you can see the 'sea pool' cut into the shore to provide an easy and sheltered in and out point for those wanting a little warm up time b4 hitting the open water. In this picture nort is up, and for reference Eden is around 2/3 mile to the north.

How far from the ships? This is looking from the swimming pool area towards town

the smaller boat you see is a dive boat at Devil's Grotto near Eden Rock

you can check everything out at their web page http://sunsethouse.com/
Thanks! Don't know if I'm that brave!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I second Eden rock. Free is always great. We did this several years ago on the Magic and just jumped right in and saw 5 large Tarpon! They feed them at Eden Rock. We are going to GC in Oct so plan to do this again if we decide to get off.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
ludari
DIS Veteran

If you love marine life you need to consider getting your scuba certification. I dove at GC and it was amazing! One of my favorite dives to date.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
If you love marine life you need to consider getting your scuba certification. I dove at GC and it was amazing! One of my favorite dives to date.
I've thought of it but.... I have a fear of breathing under water! I don't know why I just do! I love snorkeling and the DH & I have talked about trying the tek helmet dive, this may make me change my mind. I almost booked in on the cruise we did for NYE but chickened out. This summer I'm buying a prescription mask (tried the contact thing didn't help) so u can see better. It will be good quality in case I get more into it.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Kitster
Crazy about Stitch

We've had snorkeling excursions planned on both our Western itineraries ..... haven't gotten in the water yet. Both trips, the ocean was too rough for ANY of the water activities. On the 1st trip (Dec. 2010), it was so bad we were 1 of 2 ships permitted to tender people to shore on the South side of the island. Someday .....

Disney Wonder: 11/2002; 11/2004; 11/2005; 9/2006; 9/2009
Disney Magic: 12/2010 (B2B Christmas cruise)
Celebrity Millenium (Alaska): 6/2011
Disney Fantasy MV: 3/2012
Disney Dream: 10/2013 B2B
NCL Pride of America 7 night Hawaiian cruise then Disney's Aulani: 1/31 - 2/16/2015 (BD celebration)

Last edited by Kitster; 06-25-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Kitster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitster View Post
We've had snorkeling excursions planned on both our Western itineraries ..... haven't gotten in the water yet. Both trips, the ocean was too rough for ANY of the water activities. On the 1st trip (Dec. 2010), it was so bad we were 1 of 2 ships permitted to tender people to shore on the North side of the island. Someday .....
If you don't mind mr asking what was the other month that it was rough?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
noahsmom
2002 - Poly & Wonder; 2004 - Poly & Wonder; 2006 - AKL & Magic; 2007 - SSR & Wonder; 2008 SSR only; 2009 Kidani, SSR & Magic to Tortola; 2010 Double dip Wonder & WDW road trip

Last summer when we stopped at Grand Cayman we booked the 3 snorkel trip offered through Native Way. They were/are amazing! Highly recommend. Check them out on Trip Advisor, I posted a review with pictures. First stop was star fish, then stingray city, then coral garden.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
sambycat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRay View Post

i saw a bright green ginormous eel out swimming among the rocks. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
sgc1107
sgc1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post

i saw a bright green ginormous eel out swimming among the rocks. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!
Neat! Probably a moray, they are quite nasty tempered when bothered.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: