Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #31
cforsythe
Mouseketeer

LOVE, LOVE , LOVE your report so far!!!

Tell your DH that we disboard people love our funny, detailed reports.

Cant wait for more!!
Cruising Western 08/28/04-09/04/04
cforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #32
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

You are my new favorite person

I thought the hypnotist was awful . We had Ricky Kaloman (sp?) on our MR cruise and he was a riot. But this guy was cheesy and, I agree, creepy. I felt as if he would be perfect in Vegas. (Same with the magician.) But I did love when he got Steve to forget his name ("Is it Cromwell?" ) We ended up seeing Steve and his partner Ron all over the ship for the rest of the cruise and on the Med.
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #33
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

MAGIC, Magic, magic

Day 9: Saturday May 25th

SUCCESS! We were up at 9 am. (This is the state of our vacation; we are celebrating waking up at 9 am). We had breakfast at Parrot Cay, strolled through Shutters (if we are not buying the pictures why do we keep collecting them and putting them in a pile? Because we are hoarders- we also have 18 cats in our stateroom). Chip and Dale were out in the lobby and we stopped for Carlitos to play around with them. They stole his crown and hijinks ensued (oh did I mention that he was wearing his crown from the Princess Party all the time now? No?, yep, everywhere we went).

We played some shuffle board on Deck 4 (Bowling Board to Carlitos). He doesn’t quite grasp the game, or maybe he does and he was just playing dumb to scam us. He kept winning so he was doing something right. Carlos and Carlitos went swimming and I went up to Deck 10 to read and enjoy the sun over the Mickey Pool. SUDDENLY I heard the lifeguard blowing his whistle over and over and people scrambling. I looked over the rail and they were pulling kids out of the pool faster than a Jaws sighting. It took me a second to figure out what I was looking at but (OH GOD, grossest thing ever!) The pool would be closed for several hours while men in hazmat suits scrubbed every inch of it. I didn’t see Carlos and Carlitos (I later found out that he was in the pool when it happened but had no idea what it was—uh BATH NOW-scalding hot bath). I went down to deck 9 and walked all around the Goofy Pool trying to find them. I didn’t have any luck (I found out later that they were shoved in a hot tub with about 12 other people since the Goofy pool got very crowded after the evacuation.) I really did look for them. I wandered into the arcade, back by both pools, down to the club, through promenade, where else could they be? Oh well, I went to the room to luxuriate in the silence and read.

But first, remember how I told you I was in room 6030 right off the elevators? I took the forward elevator, got out, noticed by stateroom door was propped up and Ronald was cleaning the bathroom. Well, that’s fine; Ronald and I are ole friends now. I went in and lay down on the bed with my book. I heard Ronald finishing up, walking into the main room…and OH MY GOD that’s not Ronald! Wait oh my friggin word, that’s not our stuff on the dresser...HOLY COW,THIS ISN’T MY ROOM. We both looked at each other, I jumped up, yelled “this never happened”, and ran out of the room. Jesus I’m on Deck 7. I took those steps 5 at a time and hid in my room.

At 3:30, Carlos and Carlitos came back to the room and I never told them what happened. I just played it cool. “Hey was looking for you guys. Oh you were in the hot tubs? Weird I looked there. Me? Oh nothing just been in the room, just this room, nowhere else, NOTHING HAPPENED. Why are you looking at me like that?” (I’m amazing under pressure right. I’d never break in an interrogation.) We hung out in the room watching a movie while Carlos shot side eyes at me (maybe I was paranoid?).

The show tonight was magician Scott Pepper. I generally find magicians creepy but after last night this guy seemed like a nice normal bloke. When we were walking in we each got a piece of paper and were told to write our names down. I hate this kind of stuff since I never want to be picked for anything in these shows. There has to be 800 people in here though so no worries. We were a little farther back tonight, almost the last row in the lower section. The show was good. He’s probably not the best magician but he has a lot of fun energy, a cool assistant, and again he didn’t seem weird. So here’s the big set up. We take out our papers and fold them into paper airplanes. There was an instructional video but I gave up half way through it and just made some random folds. Carlitos asked me to help him, took a look at the hot mess my plane was, and then asked dad instead. I actually said “whatever it doesn’t matter”. We fold them, and then we’re supposed to throw them at the stage towards a hanging chalkboard. Under the chalkboard is a box. Whoever gets the plane in the box or is the closest wins. I got hit in the back of the head by no less than 3 planes (I guess I have a big head and they kind of hurt) so I just tanked my plane into the ground. Carlitos asked daddy to throw his plane and it soared up to about the front row. At this point we’re not sure exactly what happened. There are still a lot of planes flying, I’m trying to protect my eyes, someone hits the chalkboard dead on and the plane falls in the box, it’s a good time all around right? Guy walks over to the box, takes the plane, opens and yells out “CARLITOS”. (whaaaa? I am now believer). Now the true hilarity starts because the guy is yelling Carlitos and Carlitos is trying to raise his hand but Carlos (who saw Carlitos’ plane fall in the first row) is grabbing is arm and saying “no, no. There must be another Carlitos”. The guy is like “hello, maybe I’m saying this wrong?” and I’m saying “there’s not another Carlitos on the ship, it’s him dude” and Carlitos doesn’t know what to do, so I push him into the aisle. There is relief now that we have found Carlitos in the crowd. (We suspect that someone in the front one picked up the plane off the floor and flew it into the box. To him I say “nice flying son.”)

Apparently we were suppose to also write our favorite character on the paper (no one told us) but no worries he yell/whispers Chip and Dale and is told to go sit down. Magic guy wads up the paper and throws it into the crowd to a random kid and that kid is asked his favorite food (escargot- seriously a nine year old said escargot), then he threw it back behind us and asked best place to visit (USA-um kinda vague), that guy throws it to the right wing where- who pops up but our friend John (this feels staged) what’s your favorite weather (storms). At this point, they call Carlitos down to the front to give him a prize for his airplane going in the box. Carlitos is dressed in a blue sweater vest, striped pants, is wearing a huge crown, and is carrying a little white polar bear named Mr. Pettibow. I just needed to paint that picture for you. He actually got some “ahhhhs” out of the crowd. (Several times later in the week I would yell at him “Carlitos stop that, get over here” or something similar and people would turn around and say ohhh it’s Carlitos from the show.) He got a Scott Pepper DVD out of the deal and he’s very excited about it still. After all of that….the trick didn’t work. They couldn’t get the cover off the chalkboard. We are assuming it would have shown Chip and Dale eating escargot in the US during a storm but alas we’ll never know. We are one Scott Pepper magic DVD richer though. John brought the paper he’d caught to dinner and it was really cute to see Carlitos written in 5 year old handwriting and all crumbled up (magic, magic, magic-sorry that was such a long story).

Feeling lucky we went to Studio Sea for Disney Ultimate Trivia. There were 25 questions, and they were really really hard. We got 2….that’s right 2 correct. I did not enjoy that little exercise, but hey we still have that free DVD so we’re all winners (well I guess not all, just us and the trivia people).

Dinner tonight was Animator’s and it was the Transatlantic menu. I got double appetizers to celebrate the win- smoked salmon and caviar (yum, yum, yum) and cheese/bacon tart (not good, at all. How can something with bacon be so wrong?), lettuce head salad (um this was an actual 4th of a head of lettuce, nothing else. They took a head of lettuce used a big knife to cut it in 4s and threw it in a bowl), and grilled salmon and risotto (very good but the salmon was HUGE-it had to be the biggest piece of fish I’ve been served). For dessert I got strawberry cheesecake-it might have been on the sugar free section and it was good. We also got the temptation trio because Limbert loves us and always gets it without asking, he’s the best.

We lingered over dinner a long time (often we were some of the last ones out), picked up the kids, played some more Uno, and called it a night around 1 am. We have another time change so I guess it was really 2. Boo time changes.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #34
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Love that Carlitos was called!

The chalkboard, when uncovered, was an old note written by a former student named Carlitos. He wrote that he loved Chip and Dale, etc. It worked during our second seating show.

I might have liked the magician better if we'd gotten our airplane up there . I just thought he was another cheesy Vegas guy. But if he'd called the name of one of my girls, I would have loved him
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #35
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
Love that Carlitos was called!

The chalkboard, when uncovered, was an old note written by a former student named Carlitos. He wrote that he loved Chip and Dale, etc. It worked during our second seating show.

I might have liked the magician better if we'd gotten our airplane up there . I just thought he was another cheesy Vegas guy. But if he'd called the name of one of my girls, I would have loved him

So what happened with the food, vacation spot,and weather answers? There was SO much build up (like 10 minutes) and then when it didn't work you could almost hear the wah, wa,,wah music.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Love you're TR so far! It has me literally laughing out loud which might sound like a good thing, until I tell you that I'm sitting at work in a little cube surrounded by slightly irritated coworkers.

You can tell your DH that I go to beach blanket & cabanas to get food for my family all the time. I even ask for one of the kids trays cause you can load more food onto them. We do get the coffee and drinks from room service though so that makes it a little easier on me since the last time I was carrying for 5 people. Other people in line must have thought I was the biggest pig ever!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #37
ThePhantomsGirl
I was born to cruise!

You give good trip report!

1/27/07 Western Caribbean Disney Magic; 2/2/12 Disney Dream Bahamas; 4/28/12 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean; 1/27/13 Carnival Legend; 9/7/13 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 1/25/14 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean; 2/16/14 Disney Dream Bahamas; 9/6/14 Disney Magic WBTA
ThePhantomsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #38
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiburple View Post
You can tell your DH that I go to beach blanket & cabanas to get food for my family all the time. I even ask for one of the kids trays cause you can load more food onto them. We do get the coffee and drinks from room service though so that makes it a little easier on me since the last time I was carrying for 5 people. Other people in line must have thought I was the biggest pig ever!
He gets the kids' trays too and says "not only do people think I'm an idiot for walking around with a kid's tray but they also think I'm a pig for eating 6 eggs and a pound of bacon." I told him he seemed a little cranky and maybe a stroll to pick up juice would make him feel better (he didn't appreciate my concerned tone or helpful suggestion).

I never thought about ordering the drinks from room service. I read you quote to him, and he said "now that woman is helpful".
Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #39
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
So what happened with the food, vacation spot,and weather answers? There was SO much build up (like 10 minutes) and then when it didn't work you could almost hear the wah, wa,,wah music.
It was something (not exactly) like, "I love Chip and Dale and eating escargot when vacationing in the USA during stormy weather. By Carlitos."

Quote:
He gets the kids' trays too and says "not only do people think I'm an idiot for walking around with a kid's tray but they also think I'm a pig for eating 6 eggs and a pound of bacon." I told him he seemed a little cranky and maybe a stroll to pick up juice would make him feel better (he didn't appreciate my concerned tone or helpful suggestion).

I never thought about ordering the drinks from room service. I read you quote to him, and he said "now that woman is helpful".
Whenever I was getting (excessive amounts of) desserts for all of us I wanted to loudly tell everyone that I saw that they were for a number of us
Old 06-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #40
chiburple
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Glad I could help!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #41
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:

I used to carry a lot of food down to the room until my DW heard me tell another passanger that I was just getting my wife a snack.

she goes upstairs now.

2014 - 5 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-4:
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 10, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #42
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Can't wait to read more
amityisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #43
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Hilarious! This is a fantastic TR!
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #44
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

Wait, how many desserts did we get?

Day 10: Sunday May 26th

Where were we? Oh yes, still bounding across the main. Despite yesterday’s success we weren’t up until 11:30 today. I think this is the day when I finally said screw it and accepted the fact that we were going to be sleeping late and stopped feeling bad about it (acceptance is the first step). We went to brunch at 12:15 in Parrot Cay. I think they stopped serving at 12:30 so it was a rush to load down our plates with anything we thought we might want the first time through which explains why I had peaches, pasta, a hash brown, and broccoli on my plate at the same time. Afterwards we walked along Deck 4 and it was definitely windier and much colder today, but the boat still wasn’t rockin.

We went back to the room and tried to do a little housekeeping (how boring is your vacation when you finally say we need to clean up? Actually the question is how bad has your room gotten??). We organized the FE gifts we’d received since so far they were in 2 different drawers, Carlitos’ back pack, and piled up under some sweaters on the desk. Then we took some time to put a few hundred other things away. We watched Monsters Inc at the same time so it probably shouldn’t have taken as long as it did (both my husband and son have seen this movie over a hundred times, so why are they both frozen, standing in front of the TV so no one can go by when I’m trying to get them to put things away?)

After we had a path to the door carved out, we took a trip down to Port Adventures to find out about our Barcelona day. So for those of you sailing the Med this summer, on debarkation day they have two half day excursions you can sign up for, but you have to sign up on board and can’t do it in advance. There’s a city tour that drops you at a Disney sponsored hotel or airport and a half day to Montserrat, a cool monetary outside of the city that drops you at hotels or the airport. We were back to back cruising so we had the whole day in Barcelona and we had to change rooms so I knew we didn’t want to just hang out in the terminal and around the ship (on a shorter cruise definitely, but we’d already had a ton of time on the ship and I didn’t feel the need to spend any more time there when there was a port right outside the window).

We had originally planned to do Barcelona Day Tours on the last day of our second cruise and do both the city and Montserrat. The experience with them just wasn’t sitting right with me though. They were very timely in emailing me about my initial inquiry but when I didn’t email them back for 2 days, I got another more terse one suggesting I check my junk box since they hadn’t heard from me (look it’s 4 months before this potential tour, I didn’t respond in 2 days, let’s just all calm down here). I responded that I was interested and would like to share the tour with others and to put us down. Then nothing for months and 2 weeks before I leave they say they can’t confirm me because there aren’t enough people and ask if I want to be a “tour leader” and post their link to boards and encourage others to join. I didn’t want any part of that. If it sucked, I would feel horrible for dragging others in so I wrote back and said no. Then they said they couldn’t confirm me but then two hours later they sent another email and said I was “confirmed”. The confirmation email said they would send me another email with a meeting time and details later. I never got that email until I got home and saw that they emailed me the day before the tour (after I’d been on vacation for 3 weeks). All that build up and back and forth had me feeling funny about the tour, and I envisioned us sitting at the port with all our luggage and no turn. Plus the cost was so much more than the Disney one that I said forget that, we need alternative plans.

It was a bit of a cluster at Port Adventures. We wanted to go on the same tour as our friends but they were waitlisted on both the city and monastery tour since when they booked there weren’t any openings for anything. BUT, maybe PA had an opening for us or maybe we needed to be waitlisted, maybe there wasn’t space, maybe not this week (this is literally how the conversation was going). Then they decided they were going to call us later (this actually took 2 days to straighten out and get everyone on the right thing so I’m glad we started early).

Either way I needed a drink after that, and Carlitos needed more bowling board (shuffle board). We paper, rock, scissor-ed it, and Carlos “won”/ got to play with Carlitos and I went up to Deck 10 to read and drink. I settled down up top between Mickey and Goofy pools, and I have no idea what was going on but both speakers were really loud and I was getting a movie from one, and music from the other; all at earsplitting volume. I am usually so good at blocking crap out, but this wasn’t working so I hauled myself up (knocking over my drink of course- ARGH) and went over to sit on the Quiet Cove side. Ahhh, relaxation, calm, peaceful, AHHHHHHHHHHHH, screaming, wait, what screaming in the Quiet Cove?? Has a child escaped from the Club? Are minors swimming in the pool? Sound the alarm, what is going on. Oh, it was just a couple of ladies being pushed into the pool after their Champagne Girls party. It was all a good time, but just one of those jarring “what’s happening here” moments. I gave up and went back to the room until Carlos and Carlitos dragged me back up for swimming.

We grabbed some quick service (if I have to listen to all this I’m at least getting chicken fingers!) and swam until about 6. Clouds started rolling in and we scattered quickly (I may or may not have lied about seeing lightning in an attempt to get them out of the pool faster). We needed to get ready for dinner anyway so don’t judge.

We saw the White Rabbit and Pinocchio on our way to dinner. It was so funny standing in line for the rabbit and watching everyone doing variations of looking at their watch or phone and saying we’re late; every single person. Dinner tonight was Parrot Cay with the Masterchef menu. I got Sorrento ham bruschetta (good), chicken consummate (tasted as gross as it sounds), potato crusted red snapper on tomato risotto (very very good). I ran Carlitos to the bathroom at this point and when I came back we had somehow ended up with 12 desserts for 4 adults not counting our 2 temptation trios. Apparently all kinds of shenanigans had occurred while I was gone for 4 minutes. The Rocky Road sundae that I wanted was disappointing but everyone pointed out I should just console myself with the dessert cart currently sitting on our table.

After ensuring that no gelatin or cream cheese died in vain, we went off to the adult hypnotist show. Maybe he won’t be as weird (maybe…). We grabbed two seats in the back section of Rockin Bar D, and Carlos ran off to use the restroom. Suddenly, someone sat down in the chair next to me…IT WAS THE HYPNOTIST, and he was staring and smiling right at me. I think I made a noise like a duck being strangled mid-quack. He kept sitting there while Tiesa does her intro, and all I could think is “whatever Tiesa, no one cares about the disco/80s/Motown/rave occurring after the show, get this guy away from me”. Finally he’s introduced, lights twirl, and I am relieved. (I later found out that Carlos had come back from the restroom, seen the guy in his chair, and just waited because he wanted to “see what would happen”. I plan to take the same approach if I ever see Carlos being mugged on a dark alley at midnight.)

The show was funny. It was better than last time since he dispelled with a lot of the introductions and explanations. We laughed a lot so, creepiness aside it was a good place to spend an hour. After the show, we picked up Carlitos and headed back to the room. We had another hour forward card next to our chocolates.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #45
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We grabbed some quick service (if I have to listen to all this I’m at least getting chicken fingers!)
That's how I feel about Deck 9 alot...the random blaring music from one side, and movie from the other.

Quote:
IT WAS THE HYPNOTIST, and he was staring and smiling right at me. I think I made a noise like a duck being strangled mid-quack. He kept sitting there while Tiesa does her intro, and all I could think is “whatever Tiesa, no one cares about the disco/80s/Motown/rave occurring after the show, get this guy away from me”. Finally he’s introduced, lights twirl, and I am relieved. (I later found out that Carlos had come back from the restroom, seen the guy in his chair, and just waited because he wanted to “see what would happen”. I plan to take the same approach if I ever see Carlos being mugged on a dark alley at midnight.)
My husband would have done the same.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: