Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
malacajo
Mouseketeer

CBR......Please help me feel better:)

Ok, we are going to the "World" in Sept. We started off booking at AKL with our 35% off pin code, got a great deal. Then Free dining came out, we switched to POR to save $$ and still get free dining. Well our budget is a little tighter than what we had anticipated so we are now booked at CBR and got rid of park hoppers (very sad face!) to save almost $500. Truly grateful to save this $$ but CBR is the last resort that I had ever wanted to stay in....Double beds really bum me out and it looks outdated from the pics I've seen...Anyone out there that loves CBR, please give me some positive vibes!! I must also tell you so that nobody feels the need to say this to me-I AM so thrilled that our family is going to Disney, I do not mean for anyone to think that I'm being ungrateful or dreading this-going to Disney is a huge blessing for anyone in my opinion!!!! Thanks again
Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

CBR and POR are both moderates you would think the price would be very close to the same.

The first time we stayed at CBR, I claimed we would never go back. Lots of little things.

Then we tried it again and thoroughly enjoyed it. The pool area is the best and better than POR. They have a pirate ship water area for smaller kids.

I like the theming better at CBR than POR too.

Back to your "sad face," have you thought about trying a value to make up for the park hopping. We stayed at value for two nights last fall and was happily surprised. Just like you, we would rather stay at AKL but that's expensive.

You will love it!!
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
akl-fan
DIS Veteran

CBR is huge but it does have a certain charm and the swimming area is excellent for young ones. The food hall area is great and you can get pizza delivered.
Is it AKL - no, but it is a great resort in a fabulous location. The rooms are also huge for a mod resort.
akl-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
morrismhs
Mouseketeer

We stayed at CBR a number of times and have always enjoyed it. I would recommend requesting a room in Jamaica - a little farther from the food court ( short walk over the bridge) but it is usually the first bus stop. So you always get a seat when going to the park and are first off when returning. I have had all views as well and thought all were fine. Each "island" group has its own pool which is usually quieter than the main pool. Some find it too spread out but I think it makes it quieter. Enjoy
morrismhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
malacajo
Mouseketeer

We have checked into a value, we are only saving $87 after we upgrade to the regular dining plan-but we are saving almost $500 by switching to CBR from POR, so this is a must do for us! Thanks so much for telling me what you all like about CBR, especially location!!!! I did hear that CBR pool is bigger than the other mods, we loved CSR pool, hoping that this one is even better....The main thing for bumming me are the double beds... Thanks again everyone!!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I think you'll find the most people excited about CBR in the CBR thread. There's also some fabulous pictures in the subforum above in this thread.http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1845975.

Like you it was my last choice for a moderate. We were booked at POFQ but decided against it because it was only one pool with a slide my kids wouldn't care for. We just stayed at POR and while it was lovely, I am not interested in paying more for a Royal Room again and that is all that is left. CSR was sold out for a convention. So, I started looking at CBR and I get more and more excited as time goes on!
If you are booking a standard view, request a room in an area that's closer than some, and where the buildings appeal to you. It's not guaranteed of course but it's worth a shot and the more choices you give them the better your chances.
I like the foodcourt menus and the looks of the beaches.. and the pool looks fabulous. Yes double beds.. but we'll live. We stayed in double beds just fine before CSR and POR refurbed.
I like that the rooms are a little bigger than the other mods as well. Even 30 sq feet extra makes a difference.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

We love CBR!! The grounds are pretty. Pool is very nice and has zero entry. Little ones like the separate pirate pool. Has 2 hot tubs. Rooms are bigger than other mods. double sinks. Has a carribbean feel-unless you don't like palm trees white sand and a light carribbean music piped in- it's so relaxing. You feel like your on vacation. We have stayed at AKL- and it is a huge beautiful resort-but the rooms are actually about the same size I felt. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. people are negative on here- don't know why. We've stayed at all levels and our family loves CBR!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
Linda T.
DIS Veteran

CBR has beautiful, white sandy beaches with great lounging hammocks and friendly ducks. The feel of the resort is very tropical with beautiful landscaping and foliage. The new main pool is zero entry and really nice. There is also a very neat area for smaller children with a pirate ship. The food court is good and has a lot of selections. There are several villages and we always request Jamaica 45 or Aruba 51. There are bus stops close to both of these villages and a quiet pool with every village. These villages are a short walk across the bridge to the main pool, food court, and gift shop. The rooms are a very nice size with lots of storage and two double sinks. We have always had good bus service at CBR. Yes, the resort is large but we like that. It just seems like the resort is just not that crowded when we vacation.

We are going again in July and staying at CBR. We have stayed at this resort since my daughters were small and can't wait to go again.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!
May, 1979 - Offsite; June, 1995 - CBR; June, 1997 - CBR; June, 1999 - POR; July, 2001 - CBR; April, 2005 - Disneyland; July, 2005 - CBR; July, 2007 - CBR; July, 2010 - CBR; July 2011 - CBR; July, 2013 - CBR; Next Trip - Christmas, 2014 - BCV

Linda T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

The grounds are really pretty at CBR! Sunrise on the lake is one of the most peaceful scenes from WDW that I've replayed in my head many times ....simply beautiful. We stayed there on a Halloween weekend a couple of years ago, and really liked it. We usually stay at POR, to accommodate our family when we go as a family of five, but CBR worked best on that trip.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

We just got back from 9 nights at CBR, and it was wonderful! The rooms do have double beds but have new white linens, room looked nice. We had no complaints at all. The pool was fun, housekeeping was good, food court was good and clean, CMs were friendly, and the grounds are beautiful.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Are you really sure about the difference between CBR and POR? I thought they were much closer in price and when I do online checks for September stays, the prices are identical. Does it have something to do with only certain rooms eligible for free dining? I would definitely recheck the prices between the two--I'd be really surprised if the difference was $500!

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli View Post
Are you really sure about the difference between CBR and POR? I thought they were much closer in price and when I do online checks for September stays, the prices are identical. Does it have something to do with only certain rooms eligible for free dining? I would definitely recheck the prices between the two--I'd be really surprised if the difference was $500!
My guess is that it's the cheaper category of rooms are sold out for her promo. For example with my pincode, my only option for POR is Royal Rooms and they are almost $400 more than a Standard at CBR.
Plus we just stayed in one in February.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
My guess is that it's the cheaper category of rooms are sold out for her promo. For example with my pincode, my only option for POR is Royal Rooms and they are almost $400 more than a Standard at CBR.
Plus we just stayed in one in February.
Yep, I figured there could be some difference with the room category required or what was available. But the original post also said they got rid of park hoppers to bring the total savings to $500. Depending on the number/ages of guests, that could be several hundred right there.

I just want to make sure they were comparing apples and apples--in other words FD, base tickets for the same number of days, etc. I know I get confused when I start pricing out all different levels, different resorts, different tickets, etc!

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Magalex
DIS Veteran

CBR is lovely. You should have nothing to worry about We have always requested Jamaica or Aruba. We always have received our room requests(Jamaica). No problems with the transportation. Housekeeping during our June 2012 was wonderful. I love the walk over the bridge to the main pool and food court/gift shop area. The food court selection is not my favorite but I don't hate either. We really enjoy the tropical atmosphere at CBR(we usually visit in June so it is great after a long winter in Pittsburgh). We took one of those little paddle boats out lat year. That was lots of fun and the CM at the dock was super friendly
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.

The fact it has a Carribbean feel will be a super reminder of the Carribbean!! We would switch in a heartbeat if they had rooms to fit five just to be close to you guys!! 90% of your waking hours will be elsewhere, I bet you will not be disappointed!

lmhall2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: