Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #31
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post

And a lot of hotels and resorts charge for children at 11 or 12 as "extra occupants" even though they couldn't rent their own room. (If you don't think that's true, why is there so much advertising for certain hotels that "kids stay free"? If they always stayed free, it wouldn't be a big deal.)
This would be more in line with the reasoning I posted above. While some hotels do it with 18+ because they could rent their own room, others do it because of the additional wear and tear extra people in one room bring.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #32
McKelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2four View Post
I'm just glad Disney doesn't start charging the extra person fee until a person actually reaches 18 years of age. Last year we had to pay the extra person fee for my then 13-year old when we stayed in Yellowstone. That seemed a little silly, but I've seen other hotels do the same. Be glad Disney's policy is 18!
I didn't realize this. A couple years ago I was looking up prices for Yellowstone lodging and just started doing it again and was a little shocked how much the accomodations have gone up in just a couple years. Well, because of your post, I just figured out it's because both my kids are 12 and over now, so not only did the price go up because of yearly increases, but two "extra person charges" were added in there!

Not too many hotels charge for under 18, I wouldn't have thought the national parks would....
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #33
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Yes, there has to be a clear cut line........... over 18 and automatically you are an adult, so you must pay extra per night. Got it, no debate. A very easy and non-debatable way for any hotel to be able to increase revenues. Just check an ID.

I will add though there are Disney properties that do not charge for extra adults. Possibily it has more to do with square footage, than actual persons in the room as Disney see's it. .

Syndrome

Various stays at : ASM, AKL, AKV, BC, BLT, BWV, FW, GF, HHI,
OKW, Poly, POR, WL, VWL, SSR, RPR, HRH, PBR, Off-Site ......
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #34
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Disneyland hotel in Anaheim doesn't charge extra
Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #35
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
LOL, I wasnt saying that only Disney charges for extra adults. Every hotel does, I realize that.
It was just my oppinion that Disney could set its own standard, and possibly up the "adult" age for family offspring that is staying with their own family to ............ maybe 25 to encourage the return of the adult age "kid" and their own family to return sooner than later.

Yea, I guess it has to be a hard line in the sand. Its 18 and I am o.k. with that. Just stating my oppinion.

Syndrome
25? Really? When I was 25, no way would I have shared a room with my parents. At that age, I was sharing a room with my husband.

The fact of the matter is that at age 18, persons are legally recognized as adults in the United States. Disney is following what every other hotel chain does. Paying the $25 upcharge is still much, much less expensive than that person getting their own room.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #36
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
LOL, I wasnt saying that only Disney charges for extra adults. Every hotel does, I realize that.
It was just my oppinion that Disney could set its own standard, and possibly up the "adult" age for family offspring that is staying with their own family to ............ maybe 25 to encourage the return of the adult age "kid" and their own family to return sooner than later.

Yea, I guess it has to be a hard line in the sand. Its 18 and I am o.k. with that. Just stating my oppinion.

Syndrome
despite this thread making it seem as if you are the only one who feels that way, there are actually many who agree with you (even i was reluctant to post). not only have similar opinions been posted over the years, i've personally had many discussions with people (at home, while working at the disney store, at WDW, as well as elsewhere) who feel that at the very least, there should be no additional charge for those living in the same household.

an additional adult charge may be industry standard, but many places also charge for children under 18yo - why is no one advocating that "industry standard"?
and i really doubt that an adult child traveling with their parents would cause more "wear and tear" on a room than a young child - we've seen lots of crayon and marker drawings on furniture and walls, fork gouges under tables, etc in WDW resorts: i doubt there are very many adult children who carry crayons and markers, or crawl under tables .

that's another reason why we love having DVC - we can stay on WDW property, and have as many "adults" in our villa (as occupancy permits) without incurring additional fees.
heck, DVC members can even buy discounted APs for "family members living in same household", no matter what their age - at least one division of Disney seems to understand that many families remain close enough to want to vacation together, even once their "children" turn 18.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #37
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSchrow View Post
despite this thread making it seem as if you are the only one who feels that way, there are actually many who agree with you (even i was reluctant to post). not only have similar opinions been posted over the years, i've personally had many discussions with people (at home, while working at the disney store, at WDW, as well as elsewhere) who feel that at the very least, there should be no additional charge for those living in the same household.

an additional adult charge may be industry standard, but many places also charge for children under 18yo - why is no one advocating that "industry standard"?
and i really doubt that an adult child traveling with their parents would cause more "wear and tear" on a room than a young child - we've seen lots of crayon and marker drawings on furniture and walls, fork gouges under tables, etc in WDW resorts: i doubt there are very many adult children who carry crayons and markers, or crawl under tables .

that's another reason why we love having DVC - we can stay on WDW property, and have as many "adults" in our villa (as occupancy permits) without incurring additional fees.
heck, DVC members can even buy discounted APs for "family members living in same household", no matter what their age - at least one division of Disney seems to understand that many families remain close enough to want to vacation together, even once their "children" turn 18.
Thanks for the back-up ,lol. . What happened to the OP anyway ? .
I was not debating any hotels revenue practices, and standards, just stating my opinion........which I am entitled to do. . Also never meant to offend anyone.
Just seems strange to me that even Disney does not have any "lines in the sand" , ie......rules, when it comes to some things. Some rooms at WDW have extra charges for adults 18 and older, while some WDW rooms (including DVC) do not. . Seems like it has more to do with square footage than anything else ???

Syndrome

Old 06-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #38
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSchrow
Two of my siblings and one of our parents lived together into their forties and seventies respectively. Why in the world should they have been exempt from any 3rd/4th adult surcharges when traveling together? Conversely, why would the rest of my siblings and I, and various partners/spouses, be penalized because we didn't live in that house?
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #39
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome

Thanks for the back-up ,lol. . What happened to the OP anyway ? .
I was not debating any hotels revenue practices, and standards, just stating my opinion........which I am entitled to do. . Also never meant to offend anyone.
Just seems strange to me that even Disney does not have any "lines in the sand" , ie......rules, when it comes to some things. Some rooms at WDW have extra charges for adults 18 and older, while some WDW rooms (including DVC) do not. . Seems like it has more to do with square footage than anything else ???

Syndrome
Think outside the box, DVC has nothing to do with square footage, it has to do with the way Disney makes money off those rooms.

Ultimately, Disney has to satisfy the shareholders.....
Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 AM   #40
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

What it has to do with is revenue. They make money off the extra fee for adults. With DVC, they've already made so many hundreds of millions of dollars from people paying in advance for 30 years of vacations that they can let the charge for additional adults go.

It's pretty obvious DVC is a real cash cow for Disney. It's the only thing they build anymore.

It's all about money. Always is.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #41
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB View Post

It's all about money. Always is.
Yep. Yet many people seem to forget that Disney is a business, and a huge one at that!

But I agree with the poster who said it is waaaay cheaper to pay the extra adult fee than it is to get a second room.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #42
Syndrome
Who's super now?

But its not only DVC. There are lots of room options at WDW that do not charge for extra adults in the same room. The only difference is that some of these rooms are larger. Its not even a price point situation. With the current WDW (2013) room prices, a room can be had at WDW that runs as low as $202. per night and there are no extra adults charges.
Could it be something to do with the max occupancy ratings for some rooms where they cant technically charge for extra adults in those rooms ?

In the end it doesnt really matter ......... WDW is following the standards that any other hotel in the world would. If its $25. extra per night that we have to pay to have our adult child stay in our room at WDW, I am fine with that (although In wish I didnt have to, lol ).

Syndrome

Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #43
crazycatlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSchrow View Post

August, 2014- Royal Pacific Resort
November, 2013- Wilderness Lodge
October, 2012- POP Century
October, 2011- POP Century
October, 2010- POP Century
October, 2009- Off-site Marriott Cypress Harbour
October, 2003- Off-site Marriott Grande Vista
February, 2001-Off-site Marriott Royal Palms
October, 1999- Off-site Marriott Cypress Harbour
crazycatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #44
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
But its not only DVC. There are lots of room options at WDW that do not charge for extra adults in the same room. The only difference is that some of these rooms are larger. Its not even a price point situation. With the current WDW (2013) room prices, a room can be had at WDW that runs as low as $202. per night and there are no extra adults charges.
Could it be something to do with the max occupancy ratings for some rooms where they cant technically charge for extra adults in those rooms ?

In the end it doesnt really matter ......... WDW is following the standards that any other hotel in the world would. If its $25. extra per night that we have to pay to have our adult child stay in our room at WDW, I am fine with that (although In wish I didnt have to, lol ).

Syndrome
DVC and family suites. Rooms where they expect a mix of family ages. What other options don't charge for an extra adult?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #45
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
Two of my siblings and one of our parents lived together into their forties and seventies respectively. Why in the world should they have been exempt from any 3rd/4th adult surcharges when traveling together? Conversely, why would the rest of my siblings and I, and various partners/spouses, be penalized because we didn't live in that house?
simple:
while living in the same household, parents & children are considered a family unit - as many health, auto insurers also perceive it. once the child(ren) move out (excluding college, which is usually temporary), they are still family but not within that immediate pod. they likely form new, very close bonds (friendships, marriage) with non-family members - as is often said, gaining a "new family". usually, the "new family" is not a replacement for one's "real" family, but supports the "child" through new phase(s) of their life.
marriage and long-term committals give the "new family" certain legal statuses and other benefits, while removing them from original family's (but never in our hearts).

as much as we might not like it, family members in the same household tend to be closer (sharing the trials and tribulations, as well as joys and laughter, of daily life). once one moves out of that home, someone else (spouse, close friend, etc) is likely to be the one(s) who are with them through daily life.

e.g., i am very close with and love my dad dearly (and mom, who passed last august), but can honestly say that my DB and SIL are now closer to him. dad moved into their house after hurricane sandy destroyed his house, and as close as we are, living in the same household is not the same as a daily (or more) phone call.
rather, i appreciate what DB & SIL do daily, recognize the family bonds formed only from living together, and feel they deserve any town/beach/timeshare/age or otherwise related "benefits" received from their co-habitation

Last edited by LSchrow; 06-18-2013 at 11:12 AM.
LSchrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: