Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom
It's also because Guests 3 & 4 could book another room themselves. Disney is losing out on that additional revenue, and the additional per-adult charge is still significantly cheaper than having to book another room.
As would any other hotel in the country. Everything is quoted as double occupancy, which is common. With 4 adults, a hotel will recoup some costs, since those two adults could have potentially paid for their own room.

Disney is nothing, you should see what we paid in LV for 4 adults in one room.....

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydweller View Post
First a question, would you say that for all hotels or just Disney? From a hotel point of view, Disney is just a hotel chain following common practices and the common practice and most objective thing is to do this by age.

The problem is, there are all kinds of people who try to scheme on everything and you meet up with them all the time in the hotel. there are those who try to argue exemptions or flat out lie about everything. But age is very difficult to fake or argue about. Show picture ID and the age argument ends. The fairest and least controversial criteria is age.
Answer : No Just Disney. Families are their bread and butter, and they should want to encourage the continued family bonding experience ........ especially when the "kids" are over 17. Keep the "adult" kids coming with their families and they will more than likely keep coming with their own families when they have kids........which should be very soon given the "adult" kids age.
Few other hotels in the world are as much of a destination as they are at WDW. They can and do set there own standards.
In a perfect world for families staying at WDW, they can up the adult age to a more common age that "adult" kids may have moved out of the house. 18 y/o is rare for kids to move out these days. How about making the adult extra charge 25 y/o. Just a thought.

Also as much as age on a picture ID is non-debatable............ well so is the persons name .
Believe me ........... Disney knows that our 19 y/o daughter is our daughter. They know everything about us for the past 20 years !

I am not debating the extra adult charge, nor am I refusing to pay it, I just wish WDW would recognise that if your very young adult "kid" who is really too young to stay on their own and needs to stay in the "family" room ........ there shouldn't be an extra charge for it.

Oh well.........nothing any of us can do about it !

We are going to WDW in a month and WILL be paying the extra "adult" $25. fee for out Disney born and raised daughter.

Maybe Disney wants us to charge our daughter the extra $25. per night to recoup our money .

Syndrome

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
darnheather
DIS Veteran

@Syndrome sorry but you are incorrect. Nearly all hotels charge extra for more than two guests over the age of 18 family or not.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome
For us its a moot point. We have to pay extra for out 19 y/o daughter / "adult" , but at least having a roll-away bed is free. At most other hotels there is an extra adult charge and a roll away bed charge.
So, we just try to look at the positive side of everything, although paying an extra $25. per night for our daughter seems silly. If its an immediate family member, I/E direct son or daughter, I think Disney should wave the extra fee if they are staying with the family or parents.
Its different if it were adult friends staying together. I could see that as a money scrimping saving for that situation. "hey lets all stay together so we can save some money on the room" vs a family that really does stay together because they are......... well ..........a family!

Syndrome
It is no different whether it is a daughter or a niece or your next door neighbor. Room prices are based on double occupancy all over the country. Anyone 18 and over is an adult and should pay the fee.

I also take offense to your comment about friends scrimping on a room, implying we are cheap. Hey, I invited two friends to go a few years ago, and we were going to bring an air mattress and rotate beds. We thought what a wonderful idea. We have only seen each other at work every day for 20 years and would love to have a big slumber party at 50, because we are like, well quite frankly.....family.

One of our dear friends at work wanted to join us, but her father had just passed away and she had to carry a great deal of expenses on her own. We decided to buck it up and double up. We were able to pay her entire way, including spending money.

So that is how we roll.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:

Answer : No Just Disney. Families are their bread and butter, and they should want to encourage the continued family bonding experience ........ especially when the "kids" are over 17. Keep the "adult" kids coming with their families and they will more than likely keep coming with their own families when they have kids........which should be very soon given the "adult" kids age.
Few other hotels in the world are as much of a destination as they are at WDW. They can and do set there own standards.
In a perfect world for families staying at WDW, they can up the adult age to a more common age that "adult" kids may have moved out of the house. 18 y/o is rare for kids to move out these days. How about making the adult extra charge 25 y/o. Just a thought.

Also as much as age on a picture ID is non-debatable............ well so is the persons name .
Believe me ........... Disney knows that our 19 y/o daughter is our daughter. They know everything about us for the past 20 years !

I am not debating the extra adult charge, nor am I refusing to pay it, I just wish WDW would recognise that if your very young adult "kid" who is really too young to stay on their own and needs to stay in the "family" room ........ there shouldn't be an extra charge for it.

We are going to WDW in a month and WILL be paying the extra "adult" $25. fee for out Disney born and raised daughter.

Maybe Disney wants us to charge our daughter the extra $25. per night to recoup our money .

Syndrome
So Disney should not encourage anyone else to have a bonding experience?
?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #21
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
It is no different whether it is a daughter or a niece or your next door neighbor. Room prices are based on double occupancy all over the country. Anyone 18 and over is an adult and should pay the fee.

I also take offense to your comment about friends scrimping on a room, implying we are cheap. Hey, I invited two friends to go a few years ago, and we were going to bring an air mattress and rotate beds. We thought what a wonderful idea. We have only seen each other at work every day for 20 years and would love to have a big slumber party at 50, because we are like, well quite frankly.....family.

One of our dear friends at work wanted to join us, but her father had just passed away and she had to carry a great deal of expenses on her own. We decided to buck it up and double up. We were able to pay her entire way, including spending money.

So that is how we roll.
LOl, sorry never meant to offend . Sorry.

Could I say that at least "some" adult age friends who are staying together are doing it to save money ? . I would certainly do it if I could save some money and I was close enough with my friends that it wouldnt be a problem. Although I wouldnt sleep on a air mattress. Again thats just me.

I feel for your friend whos father past away and still wanted to go to disney with your group. BUT they way she did it was to share the room and "save some money". That was my point ...........it was a money saving option. Never meant to imply that anyone doing this was "cheap".

Again, sorry you took offence to my comment, it wasnt meant like that. I suppose I could have said "money saving" vs. scrimping ???

Syndrome

Old 06-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnheather View Post
@Syndrome sorry but you are incorrect. Nearly all hotels charge extra for more than two guests over the age of 18 family or not.
LOL, I wasnt saying that only Disney charges for extra adults. Every hotel does, I realize that.
It was just my oppinion that Disney could set its own standard, and possibly up the "adult" age for family offspring that is staying with their own family to ............ maybe 25 to encourage the return of the adult age "kid" and their own family to return sooner than later.

Yea, I guess it has to be a hard line in the sand. Its 18 and I am o.k. with that. Just stating my oppinion.

Syndrome

Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
But your 'very young adult kid' absolutely could be out on her/his own. At 18, they couldrent an apartment, or buy a car or a house; they could get married without parental permission (varies by state).

Again respectfully, expecting any business to treat families different from non-related parties just isn't reasonable.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #24
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
But your 'very young adult kid' absolutely could be out on her/his own. At 18, they couldrent an apartment, or buy a car or a house; they could get married without parental permission (varies by state).

Again respectfully, expecting any business to treat families different from non-related parties just isn't reasonable.

Actually, my "very young adult kid" is out on her own, lol. But I dont expect her to get her own room on our family trip to WDW, nor could she afford it.
I have NO problem paying the extra $25, per night to be able to spend a few more precious years with all of my kids together on a family vacation. I know it wont be too much longer.
I guess its just the first time we are having to deal with this .........

Syndrome

Old 06-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:

LOl, sorry never meant to offend . Sorry.

Could I say that at least "some" adult age friends who are staying together are doing it to save money ? . I would certainly do it if I could save some money and I was close enough with my friends that it wouldnt be a problem. Although I wouldnt sleep on a air mattress. Again thats just me.

I feel for your friend whos father past away and still wanted to go to disney with your group. BUT they way she did it was to share the room and "save some money". That was my point ...........it was a money saving option. Never meant to imply that anyone doing this was "cheap".

Again, sorry you took offence to my comment, it wasnt meant like that. I suppose I could have said "money saving" vs. scrimping ???

Syndrome
Really?????

Again, you have completely misinterpreted our experience. We did not do it to save money, we did it to share an experience with our friend.

Rather than being selfish and telling her that she needed to come up with the money, because we were going to require a second room for 4 people,because it was not feasible,, we POOLED our money and paid for her to go because she needed it. We have worked together for 20 years and felt if anyone deserved a break, at the time, she did.

And if that is not FAMILY, then I don't know what is. You do not have to be blood relatives to be family.

And I am done here.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
It was just my oppinion that Disney could set its own standard, and possibly up the "adult" age for family offspring that is staying with their own family to ............ maybe 25 to encourage the return of the adult age "kid" and their own family to return sooner than later.
WDW hotels division did have its own standard that differed from most of the rest of the hotel/resort industry: they charged the same rate seven night's a week.

They moved away from that and more in line with the rest of the hospitality industry in very recent years, by charging higher rates on weekends. Truly, there's no reason for Disney to exempt 'young adults' staying in the room with their parents from being charged the extra guest supplement.

Encourage them to come back sooner with their own young families? By 25, many of those 'young' adults are visiting Walt Disney World with their own young families.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #27
nkereina
Wendy Darling

PPs are correct. In the hotel industry (not just Disney!), not only do they look at adults over the age of 18 as able-bodied people capable of booking their own rooms, but they also look at it as two extra adults in one room therefore creating more wear and tear on the room. When based on double occupancy and you throw two more adults into the mix, that's extra usage on room electricity, water, laundry, etc. Sounds insignificant but in an 800+ room hotel/resort, it adds up.

The fact that your daughter is your daughter doesn't take away from the fact that she is still going to shower, use the toilet, use extra towels, etc. in your room (adding to the total number of people at the resort) - all of which must be recouped by the hotel. Hotels are for-profit businesses, so they must remain profitable so it wouldn't make sense for them to eat these costs.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #28
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

Syndrome
There are a LOT of family destinations. Where do you draw the line for those? So if you go to Ocean City, Maryland with your now 18 year old, do you expect them to change the industry standard there? That's where my husband's family vacations every year. And every year, they have to pay for each additional adult in the two rooms they get. And EVERYONE is an adult. But it's a family vacation. Same thing in Gatlinburg. We're all adults so each additional one is charged. And that's a family vacation.

What if I took my grown son to Las Vegas for a weekend with my husband and me? He's 31 years old, married with two kids, but, well, he's my son so he shouldn't have to pay more for an extra adult charge.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #29
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Never mind "family oriented" - I had to pay the extra charge for my D when we were dropping her off at college! If you don't think she was still on our dime then . . .

And a lot of hotels and resorts charge for children at 11 or 12 as "extra occupants" even though they couldn't rent their own room. (If you don't think that's true, why is there so much advertising for certain hotels that "kids stay free"? If they always stayed free, it wouldn't be a big deal.)

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #30
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

People want Disney to follow industry standards when it is beneficial for them, and set their own standards when it is beneficial for them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: