Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
puppytrainer
Mouseketeer

Turning in a 1 way rental car (PC to MCO) questions

First time renting a car here, so I've got a couple questions. We are getting a 1 way rental from PC to MCO for the day we get back from our cruise. Since our flight doesn't leave until 5:45pm we thought it would be nice to not use DCL transfers and sit in the airport all day.

I've heard the gas stations near the airport are very expensive relative to others. So where would you suggest we stop and fill up before we turn the car in? Speaking of turning the car in, since we're only renting 1 way, I obviously will not be familiar with with rental car area at the airport. Is it clearly marked where we're suppose to go when we're approaching the airport? We'll be renting from Budget.

Something else not specifically related to turning in the car. Do I need to bring some proof of car insurance or something for when we pick up the car? Will they ask for anything like that? First time doing something is kind of scary, even if it is just renting a car

TIA!!

Me DD (10)

1999-Port Orleans ~ 2009-Pop Century ~ 2011-Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ 2013-Disney Fantasy-Western Caribbean ~ 2014-AKL/Disney Dream-Bahamas/BCV
puppytrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

I rented a car last year for the first time in years! It was very easy and I used Budget too!

I can't remember if you HAVE to have your proof of insurance but I took it along with me. Don't know if it would have done ANY good but it's just a small piece of paper among a bunch of other papers - it fit right in.

The car return at MCO was very easy to find. No problems there. What I wasn't prepared for was the Sunpass thingy on the windshield. I thought it was turned off but it was actually turned on. I went through 2-3 tolls before a wonderful tollbooth worker told me it was on. I wound up paying cash at the tolls and then also charged for them and the "convenience" fee to have the danged thing. So either make sure you turn it off before you leave the lot or don't pay cash at the booths since you'll get a bill charged to your credit card about a week later.

Also, because you'll probably drive less than 75 (I think that's Budget's minimum) miles, you'll automatically be charged a fuel charge. If you fill the car just before you return it, show your gas receipt at the desk (you'll have to pass the desk to go into the airport anyway) and they'll manually adjust off the fuel charge but you have to do this as soon as you turn in the car.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

As long as you are a couple of miles from the airport the gas prices will be very close to the average. If you aren't driving much definitely do not take the sun pass option because you will pay way more but pay attention because at some of the toll booths you have to pull off the freeway. I always pack a roll of quarters but I think they all have the option of giving your money to an actual person now.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Coming from the port to MCO you will be on 528 (AKA BeachLine). When you get to the airport, instead of taking the actual airport exit, take 436 North. Pass the first two gas stations you see - those are the ones that gouge you - drive another two lights north (past Lee Blvd) and pick any of the gas stations there.

To get to the airport from there just head back south on 436 and it will take you directly to the airport.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
puppytrainer
Mouseketeer

Very helpful, thanks so much!!

Me DD (10)

1999-Port Orleans ~ 2009-Pop Century ~ 2011-Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ 2013-Disney Fantasy-Western Caribbean ~ 2014-AKL/Disney Dream-Bahamas/BCV
puppytrainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: