Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
AskSiri
Earning My Ears

Are these ADRs overkill for a first-timer?

We'll be in WDW the last week of September/first week of October, so we'll be there for the start of Food and Wine as well.

Two Disney adults, the Disney addict and the Disney newbie/enabler.

1 night room-only at Port Orleans followed by 8 nights at the Beach Club with free dining.

I had this long, detailed post written up but the board seems to have eaten it (lol), so I'll keep things short and explain myself later.

We have a mix of out of pocket reservations and DDP reservations.

Day 1: Raglan Road, 6:45pm (OOP).
Day 2: Sci-Fi, 11:35am (OOP)--appetizers, dessert, and air conditioning only to soak in the atmosphere. Via Napoli, 5:45pm (DDP).
Day 3: Coral Reef, 4:45pm (DDP); considering the Wishes Dessert party on this night.
Day 4: Yak and Yeti, 11:00am (OOP--credit card rewards gift cards); Mama Melrose Fantasmic package, 4:35pm (DDP).
Day 5: Supercalifragilistic breakfast at Park Fair, 8:25am (DDP); Liberty Tree Tavern, 12:35pm (OOP)--strictly for the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake, lol.
Day 6: Ohana, 5:00pm (DDP)--heading to the Halloween Party afterward.
Day 7: Cape May Cafe, 5:00pm (DDP)--lazy resort day, literally nothing planned except this dinner.
Day 8: La Hacienda, 5:00pm (DDP).
Day 9: Whispering Canyon Cafe, 8:00am (DDP).

Opinions?
AskSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Sappermont
DIS Veteran

Looks perfect to me!! Have a blast!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Tigger1
DIS Veteran

When are you using counter service? I would drop the oop and use up free counter service meals.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskSiri View Post
Day 1: Raglan Road, 6:45pm (OOP).
Day 5: Supercalifragilistic breakfast at Park Fair, 8:25am (DDP); Liberty Tree Tavern, 12:35pm (OOP)--strictly for the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake, lol.
Day 6: Ohana, 5:00pm (DDP)--heading to the Halloween Party afterward.
Day 9: Whispering Canyon Cafe, 8:00am (DDP).
Looks like a lot good places to eat...

Depending on what you are ordering, I would consider using the DDP at Raglan Road and paying OOP for WCC. RR has excellent desserts and at breakfast, the DDP does not have a dessert equivalent.

The only other meal I would consider switching or moving earlier (if possible) is 'Ohana ahead of MNSSHP. Assuming you're seated on time, you'll probably get back to MK around 7:00 pm, but things are running late, you may not get into the oak until after the party starts. I like to eat in the MK on the party day...I would consider doing your Day 5 on the party date. Then do 'Ohana on the non-party day.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Princess_taffy05
Mouseketeer

I don't see any signature dining. For some, this would be fine- for me, no way!

Otherwise, looks pretty good especially cape may cafe (love it there).

Have a great trip!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
AskSiri
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the replies.

A little explanation behind our choice with Raglan Road, figment...

This is our arrival day (mid-afternoon). We had several reasons for picking this restaurant, 1) it looks like awesome fun, 2) the menu is pretty extensive, 3) its DTD location and relative proximity to POR, where we're staying our first night, without any sort of dining plan. Shifting this reservation to another day later in the week so that we can better take advantage of the what Raglan Road has to offer by using the DDP is super tempting. We were thinking this, not to mention exploring POR and the surrounding area, would be something fun to do on arrival night in lieu of hitting a park.

As for Ohana, we would actually love to move Ohana earlier, but there aren't any earlier open ressies (I think 5 is actually the earliest). There's not much availability for it elsewhere either, so while we would be completely open to tweaking the timing on this one to better enjoy the Halloween party, I think our hands are tied a little bit. This is one of the reservations we really don't want to lose.

Otherwise, switching up days 5 and 6 is actually something I wish we'd considered ourselves before availability pretty much disappeared.

Speaking of no availability, Be Our Guest would have been perfect, but alas, not a ressie in sight on our party day.

I digress.

Paying for our WCC breakfast OOP was definitely a consideration as it's relatively inexpensive and not a real good value on the DDP. But, besides our ressie at Raglan Road and Yak and Yeti, which we're paying with gift cards I've already had stashed away for months, our other OOP reservations are basically for quick desserts and a chance for my friend to check out a few places she really wanted to see but really didn't care much for the menu. So, it might not be the best value of the dining plan, but I'm not sure we really have a better option to switch it up with.

Tigger, we're a little reservation-heavy in the beginning of our stay, but we were looking to use our counter service credits later on in the week, maybe take in a few quick breakfasts just to use them up, some lunches on the days we don't have ressies until dinner time. We do want to try to check out Wolfgang Puck Express as it looks much more appealing than the rest of the counter services (excluding Be Our Guest).

Each time I've gone to Disney, I've ended up with leftover counter service credits. As much as I like chicken nuggets and pizza, I do get tired of the same old same old, and it seems every counter service has some variation of the breakfast platter.

Sometimes I wished the credits were interchangeable without being the Deluxe plan and you could just use them wherever you wanted, table service or counter service.

Anyway, I'm getting a little long-winded.

Thanks for the replies so far (you too, Sappermont).

I'm interested to read your thoughts and advice.

This board has proven invaluable to us as we plan our trip.
AskSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
WDWgirl413
Mouseketeer

Hello! I read through your ADR & here's my input- first of all it looks really good. The only thing I'd consider changing is on day 5- you have Park Fare & Liberty Tree. Those times are really, really close together for an all you can (care to) eat breakfast buffet & all you can (care to) eat lunch. If Park Fare is around 8:30am, figure you'll be exiting about an hour to hour and half later. So if its around 9:30-10am by the time you get out, you'll be waiting to get into your next reservation only 2 hours later. Of course you can pace yourself & save room for your next ADR. Just saying, for me that's too soon to eat another "all you can (care to) eat" meal. Don't forget there's PLENTY of delicious snacks you'll have to eat too along the way- I vote for Nutella Waffle! Hope this was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
WDWgirl413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
WDWgirl413
Mouseketeer

Unless...can you just get dessert at Liberty Tree if its part of their all you can eat fixed lunch price?? A question hopefully someone else can answer.

WDWgirl413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWgirl413 View Post
Liberty Tree all you can (care to) eat lunch.

Liberty Tree is an order from a menu restaurant at lunchtime. The all you care to eat Thanksgiving type meal is dinner only.

Last edited by purple figment; 06-17-2013 at 12:46 AM.
purple figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
4under4
DIS Veteran

If you really want to do the Wishes Dessert Party, I would do an early CS meal beforehand. We've done it twice, and the first time we made the mistake of having a TS meal first (early ADR). We just didn't enjoy the party as much on still full tummies. Second time we had a big breakfast, average lunch, and a very light "dinner" and it was perfect.

Me & DH plus our gang: DS13 DS11 DD/DS9

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #11
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Adults only, I'd skip WCC. I'd rather save the credit and do a signature dinner. Since you are staying at the Beach Club you will likely hit up F&W at least a couple times, I don't like to do a TS on those days since I'm so stuffed.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
cannmom
Mouseketeer

I think one of the reasons they are not using DDP on Raglan Road is they won't have it yet since their first night is a RO reservation.

Looks good. Your only potential problem is 'Ohana. Dinner can be long there sometimes. Hate to see you lose party time while eating. Keep trying for ADRs there on a different night or an earlier one. Sometimes something will open up. I understand not wanting to lose it. It's one of our favorites.

You used to be able to get into the MK at 4 on party nights with a ticket. I don't know if you still can, but if you can switch your 'Ohana ADR I would go to MK as early as possible for the party and eat something there early so as not to waste party time eating.

POFQ 9/2008, POFQ 12/2009, BC 11/2010, POR 1/2012
cannmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
purple figment
DIS Veteran

Historically you can get into the MK at 4:00 with just your MNSSHP ticket. Although your reservation at 'Ohana is at opening, most likely you won't get to the MK until 6:30 or 7:00. If you are planning to do meet and greets with some of the rare characters like the 7 dwarfs, people start lining up around 6:00 so that it doesn't cut into too much party time. Many party goers like to eat in the park around 4:00 - 5:00.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: